llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: All You Need Is Kill  (Read 30396 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Dan Donovan

• Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • Bloodhound
    • Awards
Re: All You Need Is Kill
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »
Sweat broke out on Donovan's brow. "Son of a b*tch," he said in disbelief. He stood up, wiping his hands on Bouncer's pants. He sighed, pulling out his flask again. It was going empty quicker than usual. "Alright, Mr. One Shot," he nodded to Karl, "you've got me on the docket, so let's get this done." He tapped Bouncer with his foot. "This guy ain't gonna walk anytime soon. So, super job with that," he said with a half-scowl at Kate.

He pulled out his phone and walked toward the street. Waving his hand out, he began to dial. "So where we going?" he asked. "You wanna jump in and do this thing now or what?"

As a cab pulled up, a tinny voice came in over the receiver: "Nine-one-one, what is your emergency?" Dan chucked the phone over toward the alley where Bouncer lay bleeding. The Bloodhound opened the door and waved his hand toward the interior. He flashed an ironic grin at Quicksilver. "Ladies first."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:14:28 PM by Dan Donovan »

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »
Kate blinked, quietly surprised at One Shot's change of attire when moments ago he had "Joe not so average" written all over him. She blinked again at Blood Hounds revelation, not like him to leave out important info like that.

"Maybe if you'd informed us before we moved to breach you'd hired The Bouncer to help you out he'd still be vertical?" Her voice held a mixture of frustration, confusion, and annoyance, with Eddy's cryptic comment icing on the cake.

She turned to focus on One Shot, his info being the most relevant. "Cellophane? If so he's got hit out on all us gifted ones, at least according to an associate of mine." She turned the info about a prison and someone called Insano over in her mind for a few seconds, calculating, weighing a night of cancellations against a evening of quiet solitude. One promised a pay day and something to keep her mind off the past, the other a visitation from ghosts long dead and another call girl charge on her credit card.

Besides the girl was still a prisoner, and she wouldn't feel right about leaving her to that fate, especially when she was in a position to help. "Not trained for spotting work. but I can watch your back just the same." She gave Blood Hound a dark look, "Assuming you don't forget to mention relevant details anyway."

She ripped open the yellow powder, sprinkling the contents into the street then pocketing the money and papers, muttering under breath "worthless stim junkie," and giving the bloody mound of flesh a almost pitying look. "I need to grab a few things from my place, a blade, one Sig, and an armored jacket is a bit light weight to take on a prison with." She looked over at Eddy, wondering just how far off the deep end blowing The Bouncers brains had sent him.

"You coming with us Eddy, or do you want to finish removing his head and taking a piss down his throat like he was about to do to you?" Reminding him the target wasn't exactly warm and cuddly in the seconds before his cancellation might help jog the poor guy out of whatever happy catatonic place he seemed to be heading for mentally.

She smiled at Bloodhound's comment, entering the taxi without another word, knowing her visitation home would only take a handful of minutes; well maybe two handfuls, a stack of power bars in addition to her working gear sounded pretty darned good right about now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:20:07 PM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Karl Hathaway

• We deal in lead, friend.
  • Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »
Not really interested in smoothing things over, but interested in making sure everyone has the same intel, Karl says, "Dan didn't hire that fella. Windowpane did. Shame he didn't think to mention to mention it sooner." Karl shrugs. "Don't matter none to me. Windowpane is involved, and later on I aim to find out just how much. I wouldn'ta trusted his goon at my back, anyhow."

To Kate's comment, he downplays the importance of a spotter just a bit. "Spottin's easy. You just tell me where to shoot an' I shoot. If we were in 'nam, you'd also keep count so company commanders could compare the sizes of their dicks with each other. That don't matter none here. Never did to anyone but the commanders."

On the cab ride, Karl fills in all who care to listen everything else Windowpane said, just in case there was something important there he might have dismissed. Then, he closes his eyes and naps. Tired or not, no Marine refuses a chance at some shut eye, because you never know when the next chance will be. He leans back in his seat, rifle in her case, cradled in his arms.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

"Mr. President"

"Yes, come in Frank, we've been waiting on you. Can you brief us quickly?"

"Yes, Mr. President. Approximately 3 hours ago, a madman took over Carcosa Super-Max Prison."

"Took over, do I want to know how?" the Chief of Staff asked.

"That part doesn't matter anymore."

"Right. That we know, Frank. Tell us what we don't know."

"Well, Mr. President, I just got off the phone with Mayor DeGlasio in NYC. They are ready but won't move without a word from the White House."

"That bad?"

"Yes."

"How many pris--civilians?"

"Between admin, staff, visitors, lawyers, and prisoners, about 650."

"How many of those are prisoners?"

"450 or so"

"Hmm..."

"I have some images here. Carcosa Super-Max sits on an island north of Oyster Bay in the Long Island Sound. Three miles long, two miles wide. 8 miles from shore. Impenetrable. Well, except for 3 hours ago..."

"Wait a minute, Frank. You're saying one clean "fly-by" is not an option?"

"I don't see how it can be, Mr. President. I'm not sure your administration would survive that kind of blowback---"

"So what do we do? SWAT? Marines? Seals? What about all these useless Supers?"

"We have 3 options as I see it."

"Yes, go ahead Frank. Be blunt."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:27:39 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
Kate nodded at One Shot's explanation, briefly mentioning the warning note she received from Chopsticks earlier, nodding in agreement at his refusal to have an Oxen like Bouncer on their six when he was working for a whack job like Cello.

"Cancelling him now saves him trying to cancel one or more of us later." She could have gone on about the wisdom of striking first against someone that brutish whose first strike likely would be the last one in a fight, but knew this group was well aware of such realities, well aside from Eddy anyway, he still seemed... Out of place among the rest of them, unless he was hiding some natural born killer personality under that vagrant veneer, but her gut told her he was perhaps the most civilized, or possibly naive one of their group, such as it was.

"I've got some ear buds we can use for coms to make the spotting work easier, and maybe prevent any more miscommunications in the future?" She shot Bloodhound a sideways glance, strange he'd be so pissed off about The Bouncer being cancelled after she passed him that note of Cello putting hits on them all, if anything she might have just saved their lives.

Ah well, he was prolly still pissed from Phil trying to giving him a terminal thrill earlier. Her dad used to get like that when his job on the force went poorly, which was most days, she knew not to take it personal. "So what's your daughter like? Is she gifted like us?" The more she knew about their extraction target the better she could anticipate and react to surprises, and it was as good an ice breaker as any to get to know the guy, and distracted her from the gnawing hunger that was making even the discarded french fries on the floor of the cab look appealing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:44:52 PM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Karl Hathaway

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2014, 06:00:53 PM »
Karl smiles at the mention of Katie. After all the years of estrangement, all the pain and recrimination and guilt and doubt... he's still more proud of her than anything he's ever done in his life, and it shows when he talks. Eyes still closed, he says,

"She ain't gifted like us... leastways she wasn't last I knew. But she was always dead smart. She had the grades and the drive to do any d**n thing she wanted. Her pick of colleges and medical schools. Pretty as her momma... maybe prettier... hard to tell."

He digs out an old photo, passing it to Kate. It's old, a bit faded, but Kate can see Karl, looking about 30ish, big Marine in casual fatigues, posing with rifle over his shoulder next to another feller, even taller but leaner than he, about five years younger, also in fatigues. Between and below them, pretty as can be, a Vietnamese woman maybe the same age as Kate, dressed in the clothes of a simple villager, with a camouflage bandana tied neckerchief style at her neck. All three mug at the camera like they ain't got a care, though all three have a fierceness in their eyes. Written on the back, Me, Willie, Linh, Huntin’ Again, August 5, 1969

"Took that right before our last trip out. Katie looked a lot like her momma last I saw, but of course she's older now. Dan's got a picture I pulled from some internet thing. Bookface, or somethin'."

Offline Eddy Stringer

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2014, 06:40:27 PM »
He had cleaned his knife on the Bouncer's shirt, and silently palmed another package of the powder. 

Old habits die hard, Sinner.

"You'll pull through," he said to the unconscious Bouncer.  He put a hand on the thug's shoulder.

"Yes, I'm coming. Don't have anywhere else to be."

Which was the truth. Though the idea of breaking _into_ a prison held little appeal to him. But again, things generally worked out.

It was too bad it was a supermax - he hadn't broke out of one of those yet, so he couldn't help them getting into one. 

Eddy followed them into the car, speaking to himself so low only the gifted could hear.

" Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven. “Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made."

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:50:08 PM by Eddy Stringer »

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Kate looked at the picture and smiled, briefly wondering if she was his daughters type before derailing the train of thought with a shake of her head. Time enough for such diversions after the job was done, now was time for canceling targets and making the world just that much brighter to live in come dawn.

"A pity you both fell out of touch, family's important, more then most people realize." Her thoughts drifted to her father, still serving time on corruption charges, and the grave of her dead girlfriend; she still hadn't been able to bring herself to pay it a visit, even after all this time. Maybe she would after this job was over. Yeah. Right. After this job if she was still this side of the dirt she knew she'd come up with something, anything else more pressing to deal with then her past.

"What about you Eddy? You sure you want in on this? Likely to be lots more sent to meet the reaper before dawn breaks." She mentally ran down a list of weapons she had that might suit the guy, then realized aside from some questionable pistol marksmanship she had no clue what his talents even were.

"Speaking of which, what is your evolutionary gift? I know Hounds, and One Shot here is pretty obvious," She gave One Shot a warm smile and passed the picture back to him. "But you're kinda a mystery, and the more we know about each other the better the chance of all of us still this side of the dirt this time tomorrow."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:39:54 PM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Karl Hathaway

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
Karl grunts. "Couldn't get away fast enough, once she learned what I done." Karl's quiet a sec. "Can't say as I blame her, none. But she's my little girl until I'm dead. Ain't nothin'll change that, don't matter none how much she hates me now."

Karl looks a few years older now.

Offline Eddy Stringer

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
Eddy suddenly grew serious, and loud, at Kate's words.

"Oh no, not Evolution, not the product of the Godless science.  I was Chosen. I am Chosen.  I need to save the world, and all of its Sinners, one step at a time.

The Lord guides my step, my direction, and if need be, my Sword. He brought me to Dan who though a Sinner needed Saving from Judas.  And I saved him.  You needed aid against Goliath, and lead stones found his skull. He shields me, or my brain would have been the one breathing the Lords air and my soul onwards to Judgement.  I can help because He helps me.  I will help because you need me.

I have squatted with the sinners under the bridges, and walked the streets with them at night. I have been weak and sought truth in powders and potions. I have Sinned but through Saving I can be Saved.

So yes, I do want in on this.   Something I can spray and Pray with."  Eddy smiled on the last.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
A swing by Da Bronx.

Kate lived in the shadows of Yankee Stadium. S**tsville. But her apartment may as well have been Fort Knox.

Besides the impressive arsenal Kate had stashed away, there was also her car...

Taxi wouldn't agree to wait, and there weren't too many other cabs around here, looking for a fare.

4AM.

They pulled out again.

Whitestone Bridge~Cross Island~LIE~ off towards Oyster Bay...

Dan needed a drink. Flask empty.

No one said anything for a while.

Eddy and Karl sat in the backseat. Kate glanced in the rearview. A car was following them. Same sedan as she spotted by the club. It kept well back. Innocuous. But this wasn't Kate's first rodeo.

Radio on. News and traffic report. No news of any madmen commandeering any prisons. No traffic either. It would start in a few hours.

Karl's phone vibrated. He answered. Wrong number.

Eddy's stomach growled.

Dan scratched his sandpaper face and held back a burp.

Kate drove. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:38:26 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »
Suddenly music started playing. They could all hear it. The Bass.

Old school.

"Me holla respect to all the gun men dem, gun men alone keep gun men friend"

It started feint, but grew louder, another car behind them. This one speeding fast, looking to drive by them. Windows open. Music making the Acura throb.

"Fire bun, fi all the informers dem, informer alone keep a gun men friend."

Music was d**n loud.

The car was about forty feet back and closing, switching lanes to pull up along side...Dan's side.

Notorious B.I.G. rhymed of doom.

Kate caught sight of movement in the Acura in the rear view, someone was lifting something and about to thrust it out the window. Didn't look like a friendly object.

Gangbangers. But they seemed purposeful.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:17:55 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »
Kate began laughing at what she was certain at first was a Joke by Eddy, her gaze narrowing as she realized the poor man was actually believing the dogma that his lips spewed forth, her laugh cutting off as abruptly as if she was suddenly beheaded.

"I'm fresh out of Mac Tens." Was all she could think to say at the end of his rambling, cautiously trying to think how to politely decline arming the man with anything more dangerous then plastic eating utensils. Perhaps he'd always been unbalanced, or maybe it was how his mind folded in on itself to allow him to handle whatever gift he had? The specifics of which were no clearer now then when she asked a few moments ago.

She cast a sideways glance at Bloodhound, Eddy was his baggage after all, and with his mood this night she didn't want to give him anything else to yell about, but even so. "You have such unique friends , did I ever tell you that?" The Taxi's abrupt arrival at her home cut off anything further she had to say.

"Wait down here, I won't be long." Showing Bloodhound and two strangers the intimate details of her living space didn't seem like a smart move, not until she got to know them better anyway, then perhaps she'd be comfortable letting them in her inner sanctum. Some of them anyway. She headed for the stairs and hurried up, taking them two at a time.

The top floor, all hers with enough security to keep out anything short of a Swat team, and even then, they'd better bring a lot of body bags. After quickly being identified by the electromagnetic sensor and giving her voice keyed pass code the door unlatched with a soft click, the plain wooden exterior hiding the inch and half armor plating underneath, and the claymore in the floorboards under the welcoming mat quietly clicking from armed to safe as she turned the door knob.

"I'm home honey, miss me?" She gave the life sized portrait of her deceased girlfriend a tired smile where it hung above the couch, the silence of the room the only answer she'd ever gotten. Up here with the soundproofing even the city traffic and neighbors were drowned out, it was quiet enough to hear her heartbeat.

She flicked on the lights with a practiced gesture, grabbing for the fishbowl filled with Tigers Milk power bars as she walked past, tearing open a wrapper with her teeth as she headed for the armory, weighing options, calculating results, not liking the immediate answers.

Blood soaked clothes landed in the laundry bin, the Sig tossed onto the work bench for later cleaning, even though it hadn't even been fired. The panel on the wall along the side of the room opened at the touch of a button under the work bench, an array of clothing, firearms, and melee weapons neatly arranged, a filing cabinet unlatching its false front to display a staggering assortment of rifle and pistol magazines neatly arranged by weapon type and purpose.

She grabbed a black silk blouse from the hanger on her way past buttoning it while surveying the array of target cancelling options before her, chances were she'd be canceling a lot of non gifted scum that called the prison home, so high capacity magazines were a must, but nothing too heavy.

The Glock 18 felt smooth to her touch, the black plastic firm and reassuring, the 32 round magazines providing plenty of ammunition, in this case silver jacketed hollow points, and a suppressor to keep the noise down, perfect for finishing off rioting convicts evenings.

She took the M-14 with thermal scope and armor piercing ammunition almost as an after thought, just in case longer range support was necessary; even One shot could only shoot in a single direction at a time, well maybe not in his case.

Ear buds, a few grenades for area effect, some thermite paste to melt through any locks they might encounter, and a six pack of throwing knives along with an unhealthy amount of ammo and a few other odds and ends rounded out her evening entertainment package.

She considered switching the denim skirt off for black military pants, deciding at the last moment to pull on a equally short black leather skirt and jet black thigh high stockings instead, all those men in the prison would likely be more distracted by her looking like a harlequin then a commando, a distraction One Shot could use to his advantage, to say nothing of her own cancellation skills.

Now for Eddy, the guy might as well be called moon unit with how out of touch with earth he seemed to be, but if she didn't give him some weapon he'd be scavenging off the prison guards, and how reliable their crap was would be anybody's guess.

She smiled  as she reached up and grabbed the Calico M 50 off the wall, he wanted to spray and pray this should give him plenty of the former at any rate, and he could always scavenge more .9mm ammo from the prison if he needed it.

She grabbed her jacket and shooters glasses off the couch, finished stuffing her pocket with more power bars as another pang of hunger spiked her midsection, and she blew a parting kiss to the painting of Rachel. "Keep it warm and wet for me lover, I'll see you soon, one way or another." It was what she always said to her before leaving on a job, it held a reassuring degree of truth and finality.

The '71 Hemi Cuda was a nice car, once her old mans, hers after he got sentenced, the purr of the engine almost feral in its complexity, and as reassuring as any sound she could recall.

"We got a tail, same one from the club, they left after seeing Eddy paint the wall with The Bouncers brains right before you guys showed up. One Shot, think you can take out a front tire?" She increased speed, nudging the needle up closer to seventy, feeling the purr of the engine change pitch as it responded. The extra speed would buy them a few more seconds, seconds she hoped her comrades would put to good use.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:31:37 PM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Dan Donovan

• Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • Bloodhound
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »
Dan was quiet since he'd gotten in the car. He was brooding. Some of it was about Bouncer, who probably would have been handy, but he couldn't really blame Kate and Eddy. He'd have done the same thing.

No, it was more. It was a deeper weariness.

He didn't want to be here. This job had turned into a hell of a lot more than he expected. He didn't want to be planning an attack on a prison held hostage by a madman, in particular a madman that wanted him dead. He didn't want to be driving around with this trio of weirdos. Dan Donovan wanted a drink, a smoke, and a bed, in that order.

That thought made him brood more. He used to be something decent, even if he wasn't that great at it - he was no Chuck, that was for d*mn sure. Even after he was out of the force, he thought he'd do some freelance PI work, help up whoever NYPD couldn't or wouldn't. But the money creeps like Cellophane offered was too good, and it turned into the only reason he took jobs. He hadn't thought about being the good guy in a long time. He couldn't remember the last time he'd thought about Chuck.

If he wasn't even trying to be the good guy - if he didn't even care anymore - what the f*ck was he doing?

As he sighed and stared out the window, something caught his eye in the side mirror. Tinted windows, blaring music, the glint of...

Kate's warning confirmed it. Dan hated how calm she could be sometimes. He pulled the Detective Special from his coat and began to roll down the window. "I'll keep 'em busy." Without leaning out too much, he took a quick aim and fired at the approaching vehicle.

Offline Karl Hathaway

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:46 PM »
Karl nods, looking a bit younger again now with something to shoot at.  While Dan draw their attention, Karl draws his Colt. Already hot, one in the chamber, Karl leans out easy and dials in. The tire spinning at about 1800 RPM will not like the impact, particularly when Karl does the shooting. With a good angle, Karl anticipate blowing the tire and doing serious damage to the metal wheel beneath it. He draws his beads and fires.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »
The Donovan Brothers

Chuck Donovan. "Charlie." "Carolina." "Superboy". Chuck was perfect.

First in his class in the academy. Made it to detective in less than 5 years. Saved half a dozen babies during crack-den shoot-outs. Chuck Donovan was the best. A cop's cop. Women loved him. Men respected him. Wanted to be him.

Chuck died in '02.  Mysterious circumstances. Unsolved murder to this day. d**n shame. Proof that God either didn't  exist or didn't care, as one pundit pontificated.

500 people at his funeral. Mayor. Governor. And Dan, his kid brother.

Dan joined the academy a month later, at the age of 26. Balls to the wall at first, he rose quickly through the ranks. He wasn't perfect like Chuck, but his "gift" didn't hurt. Nice "gift" for a copper. Superboy's little bro became the Bloodhound.

He was well-liked (everyone had loved his brother), until Dan stumbled across a ring of some bad-ass dirty cops.

He caught a scent and ran with it. Got in deep. Too deep. Even found a clue about Chuck's death. Seemed he had told the wrong cabal to @!#$ off.

Now Dan was in their cross-hairs.

Long story short, they found Dan few months later with his pants down and with an underage Thai hooker in his bed. Hooker's baby lay dead beside the bed. Shot by Dan apparently. Ballistics and fingerprints all proved it. More drugs in Dan's veins than in prize horses.

The Newspapers had a ball. "Bloodhound goes Berserk!", "Cop shoots hooker's baby for being too loud!" Etc...

More s**t came out. Dan was on the take (guilty a little), Dan was a raging alcoholic (this one also true by this time), Dan was a paranoid schizophrenic, Dan this and Dan that.

Framed by professionals. He got himself a s**t lawyer, then a better one, then the baby murder charge was dismissed. Eventually he went on leave, awaiting more trials.

This was in '08.

By 2010, Dan was mostly exonerated and immediately quit the force in disgust. His girlfriend left him.

He became a private investigator slash mercenary for the highest underworld bidder. And a d**n good one, (he could find anyone for crying out loud!), except for one problem. Well two. He mostly didn't give a s**t about anything anymore, and his body craved vodka for breakfast.

Chuck. The only person Dan ever loved. And that included Dan's erstwhile girlfriend, truth be told.

***********£

Dan fired a shot at the throbbing Acura. It swerved, but he managed to nick the grill, sending sparks and metal flying. Chuck always was a better shot.

It was nearly alongside when Karl fired the shot. Kate made her beast smooth as silk doing 70. "Good shooting driving" as her cop father used to say, making Yogi Berra sound glib. Dam good cop though.

Dead on shot by Mr. Hathaway.

Driver's side tire. Metal screams and s**t explodes. Acura swerves into a concrete divider. Done.

Whatever the @!#$ that was, wasn't no mo'.

The base still blared though, fading out as Kate cruised on.

They were only a few exits away from the North Shore of Long Island.

Funny, no police barricades anywhere, no choppers. Was anyone doing anything about this @!#$ing  Insano? Nothing on the news. Media didn't know yet. How rare.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:48:56 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »
"Target terminated." Kate breathed a sigh of relief, giving her companions a nod of approval and biting back a comment about smooth teamwork; the last thing wanted was to come across like she was keeping score or something.

"By the way, anyone have a plan on how we're going to get across the water?" She eased off the gas and let car ease down to a safer speed well within the posted limit, no sense drawing attention from highway patrol if they could avoid it, although between her fathers cop friends and Bloodhounds, they could likely escape with a warning, but even so....

"I got a slip of paper off The Bouncer of someone called Wingman, could be they've got a plane or something that could get us over there?" She recalled he had some kind of power that enhanced other gifted people, but not much else, assuming Wingman was even a man, hard to tell with the kind of flashy nick names most of the gifted went by. "If any of you want to give him a call here ya go." She reached into her jacket pocket and tossed the scrap of paper onto the dash, knowing better then to attempt phoning anyone while driving, especially at night in the winter.

Offline Eddy Stringer

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »
Eddy had remained calm through the exchange, apart from blasting out the real window, there was little he could do.

"Care to pass me the phone? I can call while you folks keep your eyes peeled."

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:16:18 PM by Eddy Stringer »

Offline Karl Hathaway

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2014, 12:58:17 AM »
Karl reloads, making sure there's one in the chamber, ready to go. Then he tosses Eddy the burn phone. Prepaid, bought with cash, it's only made two calls and received one.

"Probably best you tossed that out the window when you're done."

Karl has a couple more, not turned on yet. Batteries ain't even in yet.

Offline Dan Donovan

• Strolenati
  • Apprentice
  • Bloodhound
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2014, 04:51:34 AM »
"Wingman," Dan muttered and he holstered his pistol. "Feel like I've heard that before, but I couldn't tell you where."

"If we need to rethink this approach, we'd better find some place to stop and think. Preferably somewhere tidy and discreet, in case more a*sholes like that are on their way. Someone's gonna be missing those boys sooner or later, and I don't think we want to be around when they come looking."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:05:29 AM by Dan Donovan »

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2014, 05:24:17 AM »
Kate nodded at the suggestion, "Unless someone has a better idea I'm thinking the closest truck top should work well enough, especially if we're going to be meeting someone about a ride to the island?" With a pause for breath she gave a voice command to her GPS to point out the nearest truck stop, such facilitates were open 24/7, and another car parked in the back wouldn't draw any attention, not to mention a thick steak and slice of Boston cream sounded really good right about now.

"Anyone got an alternative now's the time."

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:27:02 AM by Kate Hammerhill »

Offline Eddy Stringer

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »
Eddy looked at the phone. They keep changing so quickly each time he get out. 

He dialled the number carefully and waited for him to answer.  He seemed to remember talking with this guy before.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:15:40 PM by Eddy Stringer »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
5AM

They were sitting inside "Burgers and Pie", a small diner beside the truck stop Kate's gps had found nearby. No steaks or Boston creams but close enough.

A few people stared at the quartet, particularly at Frank in his get-up, as they plopped down in a booth. Frank didn't care.

They were another fifteen minute drive away from the Brookville exit, one of the wealthiest towns on the east coast. Ironic perhaps that 8 miles across the water from Brookville, sat one of the east coast's most notorious prisons, Carcosa Super-Max.

Eddy had reached the Wingman's voice-mail earlier. A tinny voice squeaked, "Not available, leave a message."

Eddy now tried again at the diner...

"Arthur Shaw speaking" the same tinny voice now said live. "Chosen?" Then in a more detached tone, "What do you want...at 5AM? Never mind, don't tell me. You know I hate phones. Where are you--B&P? I can be there in 15 minutes, don't live far, still in Queens..."

Fifteen minutes later, right on time, Artie Shaw, a slouched, slim, man of 50, dressed in sweatpants and sweatshirt, strolled in, and approached the booth.

"Been a while, Eddy. Who are these people?"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:07:45 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Eddy Stringer

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:50 PM »
Eddy was surprised at how quick he came.  Guess he had heard the Calling.

"People I've been chosen to help.  This one here's daughter has been kidnapped. Or worse. We are going help get her back.
Mr. Cellophane mixed up in this, and Dr. Insano appears to be behind this.

This is Bloodhound, and she is Quicksilver. Yes, those types.  Our types.  Mr. Cellophane is mixed up in this somehow. 
Bad news, seems she's at the Prison. Yes, that one.

We need all the help we can get, Wingman."

And The Bouncer? A lie by omission is still a lie, Eddy...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:13:35 PM by Eddy Stringer »

Offline Kate Hammerhill

• Adept
  • Quick Silver
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
Kate looked in slight surprise half expecting someone more impressive looking then a Joe average old enough be her dad in dressed sweats. It was just as well, One Shot was drawing nearly as many looks as she was in this place, so more attention the last thing they needed. She nodded to the man and gestured to a spot in the booth, smearing the last of the ketchup from her plate with a greasy fry.

"According to Chopsticks Cello's got hits out on all of us gifted, and this mess at the prison is likely the start of something much worse." She paused long enough to drink the remains of her milk shake with a loud sucking sound, before leaning back and wiping her finger tips on a napkin. "Our biggest problem is transport to the island, something we were hoping you could help with?"