llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chapter 3: Choices  (Read 983 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 86
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »
Carnegie stuffed the magnatron in her backpack, and looked up. She squinted. "Dot12 s'at you?" She said.

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 99
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »
Asha spun, leveling her Glock and resisting the urge to empty the machine into the machine just to be safe, but bullets weren't exactly plentiful and chances were they;d need everyone they had before long. "This is that machine we ran into before," She told the Doc and Creed, keepign her handgun trained on its head section just in case as she eyed it's hands for any weaponry.

"A smart enemy would wire that thing to overload and blow when it got close to us, a smart human enemy anyway, a machine mind might just use it to spy on us and eves drop."

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3562
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »
Ashas' caution seemed well placed, for the droids hands ended with wicked looking blades.  It advanced on them.

"Do you care for any refreshments, good sirrrrs and ladiees <click> Primary Connection Failed. Attempting to reconnect."

While its voice was unsteady, it approached rapidly..


   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Ayna

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 31
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2015, 12:18:06 AM »
"Look out!" Ayna shouted, raising her Uzi and quickly firing off a single shot, hoping to hit the creature in its more vulnerable head section as she stepped backwards towards the hallway they entered from, putting some distance between her and the deadly looking hand attachments.

Offline Doc West

  • Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2015, 12:44:45 AM »
Doc looked up in alarm, half drawing his pistol before pausing and eyeing the robot cautiously, wincing at the echoing sound of gunfire in the enclosed area as he also stepped back to keep a healthy distance between himself and the dangerous robot. "It does not seem very nimble, perhaps if we could knock it over we could disable it and provide Carnegie access to undamaged components to use in making her device?"
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Offline Tusserk

  • Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • **
  • Posts: 127
  • Slightly Besmackled
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2015, 03:21:04 AM »
Rack the slide back, Creed inserted the first of the taser rounds into the shotgun. He leveled the shotgun and fired center of mass before dropping the shotgun and pulling both of the hand axes from his belt and stepping forward to engage the ‘thing’ in case it did not fall.


(00:15:55) Minion: Tusserk rolls 1d20 and gets 12.
(00:17:17) Minion: Tusserk rolls 2d4 and gets 1,4.
12 + 2 Dex +2 Proficiency = 16 attack roll
Taser-Shell [4x, 2d4 damage + Con Save vs Incapacitation, 1d4 rounds]
5 damage +Con save vs incap for 1d4 rounds


Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3562
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2015, 01:32:34 PM »
Ayna fired first, her round striking the robot's head, solid but sparking off.

Asha fired almost simultaneously, with similar results. This robot seemed quite sturdy it seems.

Then followed the BOOM of Mr. Creed's shotgun, the special slug almost visible as it hurtled downrange.  It hit the robot dead on and electricity zapped out, short arcs playing about the robot.
It stood for a moment, its servos running randomly as the taser shell discharged, and then fell with a loud thump.

A block of some putty-like material with a few wires sticking out was visible on the fallen robots back.







Ayna:  Rolled 13, with +9 (dex, prof,fighting style) or 22.    11 points
Asha:  Same roll, amazing enough. +6 (dex, Prof)  - 19. Hit. 6 points.

     

To actually enjoy the effects of a head shot, you need to exceed the AC by 10, falling short being a miss. In this case the robot's AC is higher th


Didn't ask for init, so going by order of post :)

Going to use this for now - thoughts?

Making Called Shots

A called shot is an attack aimed at a particular part of the body, in the hope of gaining some extra effect from the attack. The smaller or better guarded the area, the more difficult the called shot.

Called shots are divided into three basic difficulty groups: easy, tricky, and challenging. Easy called shots represent large areas of the body, and are made at a –2 penalty. They have relatively minor effects unless a critical hit is scored or massive damage is dealt. Tricky called shots represent either smaller areas, like a hand, or areas a creature protects well, like its head. Tricky shots receive a –5 penalty, and inflict more serious consequences. Challenging called shots represent very small areas like eyes, fingers, or creatures’ necks. They receive a –10 penalty, and successful hits cause significant short-term impairment. Beyond these challenging ratings lie almost impossible called shots that receive a –20 penalty. For called shots against non-humanoid creatures, use common sense and the categories above as guidelines. For example, a flying creature’s wings are treated as arms.
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 86
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
"Dot12! No!" Carnegie yelled. She barely had time to react, hesitantly she gripped her stun stick, but no sooner had the robot been downed. Her jaw chewed air as she tried to process events, but then she saw the wires and the paste. She wasted no time, she hurriedly scooped up Elvis in her arms and turned to run out of the room, as she did so she yelled, "Look out! Issa'bomb!"

Offline Doc West

  • Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
The Doc's face drained of color at the word bomb, his prior experience treating the victims of such devices giving him a deep fear of ever being on the receiving end of one himself.

Moving surprisingly quick for a man of his years he quickly ran for the closest exit from the room, nearly dropping his sword cane in his haste to get clear of the expected blast radius.
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Offline Ayna

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 31
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »
Ayna gave a curt nod at Carnegie's report, quickly kicking over a near by metal table and crouching behind it, her hands covering her ears, with the explosive being bare and in the open its blast radius would be severely limited and likely focused around demolishing the robot it was affixed to, which given it was face down on the floor, would make a mess of the immediate vicinity but not create the clay-more like explosive cone it would have were the robot standing upright.

Offline Asha

  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 99
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2015, 09:56:58 PM »
Asha hesitated for a brief second, a part of her wondering if it would be possible to disarm the explosive before quickly deciding it was a gamble not quite worth the risk. Turning she leaped through the door way just ahead of Doctor West, tucking into a roll and continuing to sprint down the corridor, recalling all to well a former Stone Hammer guardsman's tale about explosive blasts being channeled and increased in interior areas, a result he so colorfully referred to as "The Chunky Salsa Effect."

She trusted the rest of her friends would realize the danger as well and not linger in the vicinity either.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3562
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »
Having gotten as clear as they believed necessary, there was a noticeable pause.

Where was the earth-shattering kaboom?

They started to get up - the explosives would be excellent salvage, as would the robot itself.

A metallic voice started speak again

"Connection restored. Re.."

The blast knocked them all down like bowling pins, shrapnel whizzing down the hallway above them, passing close, though they couldn't hear anything.

No one was hurt, though Elvis had a major headache, and it was several minutes before their ears stopped ringing and sound returned.  The air was thick with dust that had been disturbed by the blast.








   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Silveressa

  • Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • King
  • *
  • Posts: 830
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Article Guild Master Questor Elite NPC Guild 2012 Sub of the Year 2012 Location of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
Asha stood up and brushed the dust from her skirt and shook her head to clear away the disorientation, calling out to her friends in concern, "Everyone okay?" She turned nad cautiously began to pick her way through any debris back towards the room, eyeing the ceiling cautiously, the concern of a collapse foremost in her mind.
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3562
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
The room was a shambles.  The tables had been thrown and shattered against the walls.  The vending machines trashed and liquid pooling underneath them. Here and there smashed equipment sparked and smoldered, and all of the light panels were out - those that still existed.  The ceiling was apparently structurally intact, sheathed with metal.

There was nothing left of the unfortunate robot.

   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Doc West

  • Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
"I appear to be unharmed, is everyone else as fortunate?" Doc West replied with a nod, brushing the patina of dust from his shoulders the explosion had kicked loose from the ceiling and giving Asha a curt nod. "If our foe has taken to wiring explosives to machinery we must entertain the possibility they will so wire their human controlled minions as well and treat them with the utmost caution." He advised the group cautiously, carefully eyeing the room the explosion took place in to gauge it's structural stability before reentering.
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Offline Ayna

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 31
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 06:17:23 AM »
Ayna coughed and picked herself up from the corridor where she had fled at seeing the rest of the group retreat, giving a wordless thumbs up to the well being inquiry, the noise of the blast still making her ears ring.

"Lets hope they don't have a stockpile of whatever they used to make that spicy meatball."  She commented with a shake of her head, rising unsteadily to her feet.

Offline Tusserk

  • Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • **
  • Posts: 127
  • Slightly Besmackled
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2015, 03:59:16 AM »
Pulling a bandanna up over his nose and mouth, Creed let the others pass him as he reached for his goggles and slipped them over his eyes. The bandanna muffled the whispered prayer to Sun Tzu to help him spot any dangers that may lurk within the damaged room, and hid the fact that he was talking out loud.

Slipping into the room, Creed ran his eyes over the roof and then the walls before heading to the right to stand guard in the corner. Chambering the next tazer shell before slinging the shotgun across his chest, Creed drew both pistols and prepared to defend the small group if need be.

"Stay away from the center of the room, the walls will offer some protection if the ceiling collapses due to damage from the bomb."


Shelter from the Nut-Cases to cast the cantrip Guidance
(00:48:42) Minion: Tusserk rolls 1d100 and gets 19. OH YEAAAH... /kicks down a wall
(00:50:13) Minion: Tusserk rolls 1d20 and gets 14.
(00:50:59) Minion: Tusserk rolls 1d4 and gets 4.
14 + 2 (Wisdom) + 4 (Guidance) = 20 for a Wisdom (Perception) check for eyeballing the structural integrity of the room, specifically the roof.

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 86
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #92 on: Yesterday at 07:29:11 AM »
Carnegie peeked out from the doorway whence she had taken cover. Finally, she let go of the frantically struggling Elvis. She turned her flashlight on and surveyed the wreckage, slipping her t-shirt over her nose and mouth which inadvertantly bared her midreef. Dust particles dancing in the cone of her light. "...M'okay!" She responded. Poor Dot12, he had been a nice robot.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3562
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #93 on: Yesterday at 10:09:48 AM »

Mr. Creed noticed no real distortion of the roof, apparently the ceiling was sheathed in metal and it had not bent. He did catch sight of a smaller, wheeled robot upturned in a pile of debris. Damaged, but mostly still there.




   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Tusserk

  • Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • **
  • Posts: 127
  • Slightly Besmackled
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #94 on: Today at 02:05:05 AM »
Snapping his fingers to get her attention, Creed tries to summon Carnegie over to look at the little wheeled robot. "A potential piece of technology that you might need."

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

  • Strolenati
  • Journeyman
  • *
  • Posts: 86
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #95 on: Today at 09:46:56 AM »
Carnegie raised an eyebrow at the summons, her eyes narrowing, yet she stepped up to point her torch at the upended robot. Using her rifle as a prodding stick, she carefully poked at the prone figure, trying to discern if it too had any explosives taped to it.

Perception to check for any danger, otherwise I loot the toaster.