llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tales of Misadventure [Isle of Woe]  (Read 48097 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Tales of Misadventure [Isle of Woe]
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »
Meleana sees movement in the brush and follows. She notices what may be a pit in the ground. The opening seems to have been hastily covered up from below, with loose fronds and vines. Somnak's nose takes him towards the same spot, and not long after, Melior, Lumori, and Thorgir approach as well. Brin joins them.

The snow-haired priestess of hate and the raven-haired elven druid, size each other up...Meleana's boa hisses.

Thorgir notices a thick footprint in a patch of mud beside the vertical cave.

With the foliage kicked aside, the opening is revealed to be an earthen hole, approximately three feet in diameter. Wide enough to leap down into. Below, they could see the pit ending at about a dozen feet, and a tunnel could be barely made out by the keen eyes of the two elves and the half-orc, heading away from it.

There could be no doubt that the one-eyed Seneschal had come this way. And he could not be more than a minute ahead!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:29:56 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
Somnak peered at the others wordlessly. Some of the companions here he knew, others were new - it mattered not. The fire of the hunt and the bloodlust of his last kill was still battling to control him, and with a short grunt and a clicking of his fangs, the Half-Orc leapt down into the hole.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »
He landed nimbly on his muscled legs and crouched, peering into the tunnel ahead. The scent of cyclops was strong down here.

The earth below his feet was wet and loamy. Above, an explosion of worm-like roots choked the tunnel's ceiling. Blood-lust coursing through his veins, the half-orc continued into the passage, almost sure now that the Seneschal was somewhere ahead...and close by.

Indeed he was. Somnak paused as he heard familiar guttural chanting, just the last words of some vile spell. Then ahead he could see a shimmering wall of multi-colored light pulsing in the tunnel about twenty feet ahead. The Seneschal (no longer invisible!) stepped into the light just then, vanishing once more from view!

The pulsing "doorway" of lights remained, though it almost immediately began to waver and darken, once the Seneschal stepped through its virtual curtain.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
Thorgir only hesitated a moment before dropping in behind the half-orc.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
"Into the light," Somnak grunted to Thorgir. With no second thoughts, Somnak charged, Qullan blade pointed forth to first breach the light, followed closely by the half-orc.

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 System of the Year 2013 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
Melior sighed at seeing the hole, but instead of bemoaning his fate too long, he held one end of his rope and threw the other into the pit, before casting Rope Trick on it.

"Ladies first," he said, bowing Meleana (and, to a lesser degree, the human) on.

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »
Melior was smart. Anticipating an unpleasant meeting between Meleana and this strange priestess, he hurried both along into the tunnel without much exposition.

The silent shadow, Lumori, slid into the tunnel as well.

No doubt a dimensional door, Melior smiled, as he eyed the fading cluster of light ahead in the corridor. He knew his magic and spell-craft.

Only moments ago Somnak and Thorgir had barreled through the shimmering curtain and were now obviously on the other side. Wherever that was...

----------------

They had emerged from the magical doorway, into another earthen tunnel, but this one angling upwards and eventually reaching outside.

A great pyramid of opaque milk-white stone (white jade) reached up into the sky, glowing warmly in the moonlight. The structure was topped by a capstone of lustrous purplish amethyst, some two hundred feet above.

Even in his blood-lust, Somnak had to pause to stare at the pyramid.

No natural structure this, Thorgir noted, wretched sorcery was involved.

Immediately outside the cave they had just emerged from, they could see the Seneschal almost at the base of the pyramid now, running on his bandy legs, his white robes swirling. He was about eighty feet away from the half-orc and barbarian. The Cyclops was waving down what looked like spearmen guards, who were patrolling the pyramid’s base, beneath the moonlight. He was shouting at them, then without pausing, ran straight ahead into a wall of the pyramid itself, once more vanishing from view!

Eight spearmen, still eighty feet away, peered into the darkness toward Somnak and Thorgir, not yet seeing them. They lit torches then, and with them and spears in each hand, the guards advanced on the half-orc and barbarian’s position, while two remained beside the pyramid they were guarding.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:59:11 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Master Questor Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Barely sparing a glance for the elf maiden, a nod to the wizard, the dark priestess slid down the rope with barely a glance, darting as quickly as she could through the strange gateway. It stank of wizardry, and she passed through just in time to see the cyclops vanish into the pyramid, and the spearsmen start to advance. With a quiet curse, she drew up behind the drummer and the barbarian, loosing her heavy flail and gripping it tightly. She'd best husband what remained of the well of divine hatred within herself.

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Just kill me already...
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2013, 05:18:26 AM »
Caught once again in the maelstrom of events, Meleana didn't find time to challenge the drow, when everyone else was hustling around her. She had never met one before, not even seen one. But the stories spoke true. The only conundrum was why she bothered to disguise her ears when the rest of her was clearly drow. Meleana wouldn't let the priestess out of her sight until she had figured it all out. She descended the rope and quickly followed through the portal, emerging into the scene above.

As soon as she surfaced, all thoughts of the drow were mostly forgotten. She had never been this close to the pyramid before. Even now, her sister must still be inside. Seeing the guards advancing, she yelled out.

< "Oh Boys?! It's me, Meleana!" >
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 System of the Year 2013 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
Melior paused at the opening to cancel his spell and collect his rope, and was coiling it as he followed his companions threw it. He quickly took in the scene with his sharp elven senses, before preparing himself mentally for either combat, negotiation, or diplomacy.

caesar193
LEVEL SEVEN
Dwarf-level one

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »
Her sultry voice was immediately recognized by most of the advancing spearmen. One called out:

"Is that you Meleana? What are you doing here in the middle of the night? The Seneschal has warned of intruders!!"

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »
< "Yes... He would be referring to us(some of us more than others), but ask yourselves this, who has lived on this island the longest? Us, or those big ugly one-eyes? Ji'zele was taken inside two weeks ago, you all know that once you go in, you don't come back. We have all had someone enter, or knows someone who had one of theirs enter. Why should we allow the ones we love to be lost from us forever? All for empty promises? For all we know, the watching Eye could have eaten them all! Dzili, Gabak, Jolof, Grang, Myhak. You know me, I have been there for you throughout your whole lives, please, please! Do not make me watch you die needlessly in the service of this foul tyrant. It is time we learned to live for ourselves again, step aside and let us in. Please..." >

In the moonlight her eyes glittered, beseeching them all. A vision of their very own timeless goddess. Without even thinking, she had chosen her side.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
Somnak said nothing but he paused - it seemed the sultry she-elf was attempting to reason with the spearmen. The Half-Orc ran a tongue along a fang impatiently - every second wasted here meant the Seneschal got further away. Somnak was eager for the hunt.

He glanced  to the others who arrived also; seemed that everyone was in on the hunt! Somnak shared a wordless nod to Thorgir - he's come to appreciate the large man's fury and combat prowess in the last few days. To the black-skinned woman he narrowed his eyes: she and her motives were unknown, "I do not know you, woman;  do you hunt this Seneschal with us?"

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild NPC Guild Master Questor Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »
Asked the question, the priestess's lips curled into a faint smile. It was not a pleasant expression, and it promised nothing pleasant whatsoever. Rather, it promised misery and pain to someone, much as the hood of a serpent promised the mouse pain and death. "I am commanded to end the false god of this isle, no more, and no less." The smile deepened then, a promise of enjoyment in that misery and pain. "Slaying the one-eyed beast that serves him, and devouring his heart... That will be a purely personal pleasure."

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
The spearmen did not hear Brin's acid-laced words. But they did hear Meleana loud and clear.

Her impassioned plea had worked. The men parted as if by magic, to let the druid and her companions through.

"We trust you, Meleana. We are with you!" Jolof intoned.

"It is..true." mumbled Myhak grimly, "No one has ever re-emerged. Not your sister, not my brother. I will come with you, if you'll have me!"

"You go to slay the Watching Egg?!" asked Grang incredulously.

"The Seneschal was wounded. What has happened?" asked Gabak.

"The Seneschal is inside the pyramid. he uses the same word all the time. I have heard him. We can show you the place" He said excitedly, leading everyone to the glowing pyramid's base...

"...Here" Dzili pointed to a part of the milky-white wall that looked like any other, "He enters here, whenever he whispers, "Yinsoso."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:59:25 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
Thorgir was unsure what exactly was happening, but followed along.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:40:25 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
< "Thank you, everyone! Those who wish may come with us, and you have my deepest gratitude, but I do not need to tell you how dangerous it will be, even for strong warriors such as you all. I do not know if the watching egg may fall, if it is even possible, I only know that I need to try and get my sister and everyone held hostage back, and try to stop this endless cycle of misery." >

She turned to Melior.

< "They're with us now, tell your friends." >
She smiled, satisfied with herself. She hadn't planned for any of this, not really, but she would be lying if she didn't admit it had been festering at her, from the moment her sister had been chosen. She had argued and pleaded with her sister, but all in vain. And she couldn't let it show that it affected her, how could she, so many had been chosen before her sister was. To refuse would be to think yourself above those other families who all had to make the same sacrifice in the past.

But now, a way had presented itself, a group of strangers foolhardy enough to take on the seneschal in battle, and to send him fleeing at that! Perhaps it wasn't hopeless, just maybe, she would get to see her sister again.

She walked up to the pyramid, held out her hand and said; "Yinsoso."

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
"These guards are now with us, as is Meleana." Melior said. "Now, let us go kill a cyclops."

He followed Meleana to the wall, and waited for a way to show itself.

caesar193
LEVEL SEVEN
Dwarf-level one

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
The men hemmed and hawed, in awe of the pyramid they guarded, and deathly afraid of the Watching Egg.

Except for Myhak and his younger brother, Yurhak.

"I shall go with you! My spear is yours! I fear no evil, and wish to find my older brother." Myhak nodded grimly.

"Death to the Watching Egg!" Yurhak whispered quietly, afraid to utter it any louder, and raised his spear. "I'm with my brother."

(ooc: Yurhak and Myhak: 1st level fighters, 9 HPs each, 5/6 AC. hide armor + 16 dex and 15 dex. Spear 1-8 dam, 1 att/rd.)

---------

"Yinsoso" she intoned, the word sounding alien enough to her lips.

A rectangular section of milk-white stone glowed suddenly, an eerie pale green color. They stepped through it and into the pyramid...

-----------

Inside the pyramid was utter silence. A wide (10') and high (20') passageway of milk-white stone continued in both directions (left and right), each pyramid angle (turn) unseen from their current position. A gentle sussurus began quite suddenly. The subtle sound seemed harmless but persistent, a quiet droning along the hallway, like leaves rustling in a gentle breeze.

In lieu of darkness, which they expected, the corridor was alight from the eerie, warm glow coming off the very walls. A few drops of what looked like blood, could be seen on the floor, leading left.

The inside of the pyramid appeared to be a sterile and alien place, not of this world. The white walls were devoid of decorations or adornments of any kind, except for...

What looked like a streak of black graffiti--"Mouse was here"-- scrawled along one of the walls and a few feet down the right side of the corridor, was a palm-sized, oval purple crystal studded into the wall at eye level, and protruding slightly.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:16:24 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »
Somnak followed the others in, and narrowed his eyes at the hallway. The graffiti meant nothing to the half Orc so he dismissed it with a grunt. The gem in the wall was of interest, but the half Orc felt an air of danger in this place and decided that before acting, he would stop and become more aware of his surroundings. Somnak studied the blood on the ground; he was not sure if the Seneschal was bleeding, so couldn't be certain it was his. He also listened intently, motioning the others to be quiet while he did.

perception/listen check pweese!

Offline Siren no Orakio

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
As Brin stepped into the pyramid, she scowled. It was a queer sort of place, and she decided that she rather loathed it. Frowning more specifically at the crystal on the wall, she peered into her pack for a moment, then sighed melodramatically. "I should have listened to Brother Malevolus when he advised me to bring a ten foot pole for prodding things like that crystal." She expected it to be a trap. This whole place stank of trap. She would have preferred to have killed the priest and lured his master out to die at the end of her flail. 

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »
Alien wasn't even the word, if a wooden hut is one end on the spectrum of technology then this wasn't even on the scale. Meleana hesitated to set even a foot down on the glowing rock for fear of it burning her. Perhaps the watching egg really was a god, to live in such a place. She wondered now if she was wrong to question the egg, her courage sank and her stomach became a cold knot. Her actions could doom her whole village if this wouldn't work. But it was too late to change her mind now. She hugged Melior's arm and pointed to the scribblings on the wall. < "What are those symbols? Do they point out the way?" >

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
Though he had remained silent up until now while the hunt had commenced, Lumori spoke up at last in response to Brin's comment. "You mean like this one?" He brandished the pieces of his broken-down pole and began screwing it back together.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:22:51 PM by Chaosmark »
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2013, 12:10:36 PM »
<"They read, Meleana, 'Mouse was here,'"> said Melior.

He examined the crystal for a moment, and considered testing it for magic. But no: he might need his magics for the cyclops, and so he stood by with Meleana and watched as Lumori prepared his stick for the woman.

caesar193
LEVEL SEVEN
Dwarf-level one