llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Asydia] Humble Beginnings  (Read 31606 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
Re: [Asydia] Humble Beginnings
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
Nim sighed, somewhat condescendingly, and shone her light into the doorway.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »
"Allow me to pass first - and try not to have anything jutting out beyond the edges of my shield" Sigurd said as he lowered the massive instrument to the ground, and bent so as to follow his own advice. From the front, he was a menacing faceless rectangle.

So warded, he proceeded down the corridor. 'So what' he shrugged. Wizards were never any good at fighting in formation, but there's never too late to learn, even for learned men.
Instead of idle pondering, he proceeded to pay attention to the floor and walls.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
heal check unnecessary -> Heal is more for stabilizing bleeding/dying people, longer term care and for patching up deadly wounds.

With Nim's light shining forth and Sigurd's shield leading the way, the group made their way down the corridor - it was not long, only fifteen meters or so; hewn into a rough shape out of natural cave by chisel once again, and turned into a small room. Duxo and Tar-Sul followed the group silently at the rear; their unarmed and bound state requiring that they stay back. Sigurd signalled a stop suddenly as he heard a vicious growling up ahead! For a moment they paused, listening.

*Snoouuaack!*

It wasn't a growl - it was snoring! peering around the corner into the small room revealed the guard that Tar-Sul had mentioned earlier. The man was Sen-Rabbin by nationality; burly and gruff looking. He was sitting on a rickety wooden chair next to an equally crude table. A flask lay overturned on the ground next to him, a red liquid pooled on the ground. The source of the liquid was quickly apparent - a large, tapped wine barrel rested on a stand in the northwest corner; a brass plaque on the front of it said 'Bargarett Falls'. Another untouched but empty flask lay on the table next to the sleeping guard. Finally, to the west of the room lay two bundles of clothes and gear, thrown unceremoniously in a pile. The group paused at the entrance of the room, looking to one another quietly.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
20+9 on a stealth check to sneak over to gear a grab a knife
Coup de (1d4+3)x2+1d6
(22:09:23) Minion: Pariah rolls 2d4 and gets 2,4.
(22:09:31) Minion: Pariah rolls 1d6 and gets 2
14 dmg and if he doesn't die he's got a dc 24 fort roll to avoid instantly dying :D

Making his way to the front of the line Duxo paused and put a finger over his lips.  Quietly making his way over to the piles of clothes he found one of his knives, went back to the sleeping guard and slit his throat.

"Now, if you all don't mind, I'd very much like to get dressed.  I'm sure Tar-Sur would too for that matter."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:40:33 PM by Pariah »
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »
Coup de grace is a success!

It seemed the drunken guard would not have woken to the great gong of the Gama-Sol Sages, let alone to the deft sneaking of Duxo Ish. A faint wheeze was all that left his throat as the man died; taking whatever stories he may have had to tell with him to the grave. As if by divine favour a rusty key 'dinged' out of his pocket onto the cave floor as he slumped over onto the ground. A quick test proved this to be the key to the manacles which held both Duxo and Tar-Sul.

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »
"Nim, please enlighten me, for I was wrong about a binary question a few moments ago - is there a legal system in Sen-Rab, or not? For where I am from, cutting someone's throat in his sleep is rather frowned upon, regardless of his apparent guilt."

He went over to the rapidly widening puddle of blood, with its unfortunate source. The sanguine red mingled with the bordeaux of the wine in slow, meditative swirls.

"May I interject? Next time, I would prefer we reach agreement on the topic of murder. Do you concur?"
It was obvious that Sigurd would prefer that Duxo concurred, very much so.

"Also - the fool might have talked; given his inebriated state, with little more than a loud voice as sufficient torture."

He met the other man's gaze, one eyebrow raised, then handed him a bundle of clothes. "Get dressed."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Just kill me already...
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Best Play By Post Player 2013 Newbie of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2013, 04:22:04 AM »
Frowning over the cowardly and most heinous act, after hearing Sigurd's objection, Zelas spoke harshly to Duxo.
"Ugly man, either you or the old man owe us some answers. Why did that man need to die? And why didn't you challenge him first? By Axtrami, nobody deserves such an unworthy death, and it shames you to deliver it."

He felt sickened to his stomach. A man killed like a lamb to the slaughter, he never had the chance to defend himself, this ugly foreigner better explain himself, and quickly so. His fingers clenched on the recently named ouzala.
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »
Nim sighed. Again.

"I'm not a barrister, but I'm quite sure that kidnapping or aiding and abetting such are capital crimes here, especially if the one doing it is not a noble. 
 I trust none of you have ever been put in fetters? Beaten? I would kill any who did that to me, and I defy any of you so say otherwise. 

And challenge the guard? Seriously? And risk alerting other guards, much as this conversation may likely do?  Lets go and play at barristers  later."

Coup de Gras is a full round action. Any of you had time to intercede - you all stood watching :)   Alignment restricted characters already have issues. 

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
"You mean 'alerted any which were as deaf as to miss the previous combat at the crossing, and my hammering away at the chains'? That would be a case of selective hearing if I ever saw one, my dear."
He had quite some experience with sassy peasant wenches, and found it rather amusing. Some other knights might have reacted harshly though, witch or not.

"Also, why challenge? Tie up first, question thereafter, and hang from a tree if his crimes deserve such treatment."

I had a whole 3 hours in the middle of the night to react to the post. Sue me.
Also, my armor check penalty is like -16, so everybody hears my passing. Talking is far less loud than the trumpets that herald my every step.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
And now Duxo speaks

Ugly man...  Duxo stopped, half dressed and started reaching for his knife; pausing at the last second he looked over at Zelas.

"Mage, let us go over for half a second what your muktliff honor would get this man.  First, once we delivered him to town he would be locked up until such a time as they got around to finding him guilty of his crimes, then he would be enslaved.  His children would be enslaved.  He would live the rest of his life a slave.  He would die a slave.  His death, worthy or not, is the death of a free man; and you ish kalzeen would deny him even that?"

Spitting on the ground at his feet, Duxo finished getting dressed.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »
"Justice can show patience at times, Duxo - fear not, for what he did to you and poor Tar-Sul would have him hanged in my homeland, a feast for the crows."
He smiled, then tossed a blanket from the stores over the dead man.
"I will gladly strike down any brigand whose bread is the misery of others - but with two caveats."
He tapped the stiffening raider with his sword.
"He won't talk like this - for example will he not tell how his master controls the beasts."
Then, he took an apple, half-rotten from one side, yet intact from the other, still tempting from one angle briefly, until the swamp rot's inevitable victory.
"Matters that are clear from one side" he presented the glistening good side "may be different under more stringent observation." He showed the other side.
"Haste begets poor judgment, and the dead rarely return. Though, that's no shame in this one's case."

"But, enough of this, let's search the room, and then go find the other brigands. I think we should have a word with them regarding the topic of kidnapping and other misconduct."

Search test for brigand goodies which can be re-purposed for the service to goodness

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
Zelas frowned after hearing Nim's words, true as they were. Were all sen-rabbi this callous? Suddenly leaving the babe with one didn't seem at all safe. He changed his mind about this Nim-ty-Lin, pretty as she may be, in her chest apparently beat the heart of a serpent. Yet again he found himself surprisingly allied with the ralkharan, he changed his opinion about him as well.

He turned back to the ugly man, Duxo, as he spoke. At first he found himself seeing the man's point of view, though he still held many reservations, but he darkened as the insult was spoken. Even if he hadn't known rabble, there was no mistaking the spitting. Zelas saw red, he didn't even hear Sigurd's words, his fist flew out suddenly, hitting Duxo squarely in the mouth.

15 +2 dex [correction -1 str mod, I misread the rules]. (unarmed strike) against flat-footed Duxo (10 AC), 1 point of non-lethal damage.

Seemingly unfazed by the hit, the man spat once more on the ground, blood and an accompanying tooth this time, and charged at Zelas with seemingly murderous intent, he punched out and...

Pariah rolled 8 against my AC 16. Also I would just like to point out, that since we resolved this in chat, I didn't opt to leave it openended.

Zelas quickly sidestepped and tripped the man in one fluid motion his father would have been proud of. He stared down at the man with contempt.

"Is this any way of showing gratitude?! You would insult one who rescued you?!" He barked at the man.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:48:27 AM by Gossamer »

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 System of the Year 2013 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
"Zelas! Duxo!" Auxzali began. "Get a hold of yourselves."

He placed himself between the two, with the intent of blocking them from further attacks.

"We are comrades, brothers-in-arms. We do not, Zelas, hit another, no matter how heinous a crime they commit. And Duxo, we do not insult our comrades so grievously. By Axtrami, I have never been so... Disappointed in two people."

Auxzali glared at each of them, and then stepped back.

"You two are going to shake hands, and forgive each other, or so help me Axtrami, I will chain you both up in this room until you two make amends."

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
Zelas raised an eyebrow. Though his friend may be a priest, he was somewhat taken aback by his lack of secular knowledge. He had only done what any true Ouzquin would have done in that situation, and he hardly saw himself as a comrade to this feral lout, who he had only met minutes ago. But, he reminded himself, he was there to aid Auxzali, until he saw fit to return to Bareka.

Silently, he offered his hand to help Duxo up, wary of further attacks.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »
"Aye, I shouldn't have let my tongue get the better of me."  Letting Zelas help him up, Duxo finished dressing.

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2013, 01:04:30 AM »
Sigurd observed the scuffle - but did not intervene. Sometimes, it was best to release anger in a harmless brawl, than to let it seethe. Though, their drillmaster would let them fight earnestly once someone threw the first punch, and would box it out with unruly cadets himself if they shirked away.
The lesson?
You can easily start a fight, but not always can you end it.

"But now in earnest - look for immediately useful things, and leave merchandize behind; we will return once there is no danger."

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2013, 04:18:22 AM »
Lootin' Time!

While Duxo and Tar-Sul dressed, the rest of the group scoured the room.

Nim out-turned the bandit's grubby pockets, finding several gold coins and a silver ring; flimsy, but engraved with the name 'Terah' on it. A memento of a relationship, perhaps. Leaning on the wall next to the corpse was a short sword which Nim also added to the collection.

Sigurd and Auxzali scoured the room in general, finding a third small pile of belongings; perhaps previously owned by a prisoner who met a sorrier end than the other two. In it were some poor quality clothes which they left. The Sandles were well made with bronze clasps, so they took those. A dagger and copper Sen-Rabbin Necklet were also taken.

Zelas went straight for the table, grabbing the flask then picking up the second one from the floor. He filled each from the tapped wine barrel and secured them in his collection.

Finally, after studying the barrel for a few moments, Nim suddenly nodded to herself and pulled out the short sword she had just collected. She quickly pried the Bronze plaque off the barrel and kept it securely in her pack, her eyes not meeting the rest of the group.

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
Zelas felt pleased with his new additional bottles, he was very tempted to try a swig, but decided against it during these circumstances. He was dying for a smoke as well, but the caverns were probably not well-ventilated enough. He gave a mournful sigh.

After Duxo had finished dressing, he took out his liquor filled canteen and tossed it to him. "Drink." He offered. Thinking it would be a good way to wash the taste of blood out. Then he turned to the old man.

"Right. Tar-sul, was it? We were supposed to find you and to put a stop to any further kidnappings, if memory serves. So, what do you know about the people who abducted you? What kind of resistance can we expect to face in these caves? We've already fought some very persistent rats."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:42:11 AM by Gossamer »

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
"Two men came to take me; and a White-Orc, would you believe!? One o' those giant brutes I hear are from Esgoloth! He was massive! And I don't know about no rats, but he had two massive black panthers with him; they did just what he told 'em to do, too - must have been real well trained! I don't know much about these caves; i was dragged straight here. For all i know there could be an entire army in here!"

Tar-Sul rolled a 1 for bluff so i wont bother with sense motive checks :p
Tar-Sul looked to Zelas guiltily, "I... I don't know why they kidnapped... Well..." under the Quinnix man's stare Tar-Sul crumbled, "Alright, look. I found this lockbox in the muck, right? It looked real expensive and ir was just lying in the mud so i took it! It was heavy, too; must have been something valuable in it! Anyways, i had a drink too many and must have spilled the beans at Werstone that i found something that will get me out of the Muck. Must have been overheard by the wrong people, because that afternoon the Orc came. They Didn't find the box, though, i know that much! That's why they were keeping me here; so id spill the beans on where i hid it."

Tar-sul looked to the group pleadingly, "Look, I seen a key on the White-Orc's belt - it has to go to the box! Let me tag along. If you kill him and get the key for me, I'll split whatever is in the box with you, half each!"

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2013, 06:00:13 AM »
Zelas frowned. Another unscrupulous sen-rabbi, he was really beginning to dislike their kind. They were to commit murder and theft for this man? Zelas didn't have anything in particular against orcs, sometimes they traded with the Ouzquin, though he knew they at times showed more unfavourable aspects. And though it was true they had abducted these two, seemingly in Tar-sul's case, they had only caught themselves a thief. And given the violent nature of this Duxo man, no doubt he too had wronged them in some way.

"Auxzali. A word if you please." Zelas said and walked a few steps away from the group, when his priest friend followed, he spoke in Quinnix.

< "My friend, I do not feel comfortable with this. This man asks us to commit murder and theft for him, when seemingly it is he who has wronged this white orc, stealing this box. And I do not doubt the other one is guilty of similar transgressions. I will not aid a thief, if the white orc is the true owner of this box, then we are in the wrong helping this old fool.... What are your thoughts on this?" > Zelas looked inquiringly at Auxzali.

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 System of the Year 2013 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »
<"We don't actually know that. Perhaps someone left it in the muck to keep it from the White Orc, or perhaps Tar-Sul was meant to find it. We don't actually know anything of the box besides the fact that it seems the White-Orcs desire it for some reason, and are willing to kidnap people for it. If something powerful is in the box, something that could deal death to people, or allow for the white orcs to pillage and raid as they please, would it not be morally wrong to not try and stop them, to see what is in fact within this box?">

Auxzali paused, and then continued. <"Before we make assumptions of another's guilt, we should gather more facts. Hearing, at least, the white orcs side might reveal that Tar-Sul was in the right. Besides, if anyone can forgive another for drinking on the job, it must be you, eh? Remember that time at the Glass Berserker tavern?">

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
Nim frowned at the side discussion, though this did smell off. 

The land they came from must be some paragon of law and order, for them to be so naive.  White-orcs lied more often then they breathed, and could only be trusted when outnumbered, outfought or spellbound.

A sudden suspicion came to, and she asked Tar-sul :

<sen-rabii> <"I mean no insult, Tar-sul, but does anyone like you enough to pay 500 gold for your return?  I think we might be being played.">

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2013, 06:53:33 PM »
<Five hundred? That is as much as i pay in tribute a year! We look out for one another in the Muck but... That is a whole lot to pay for a search and rescue! It must be Demy-Sefrab;; he's the only one with access to that kind of money, but with tribute coming up...> Tar-Sul trailed off, shrugging in confusion.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »
<Sounds like he wants the box.  And he knows we are here.  I don't now expect we are going to be paid in coin.>

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Gossamer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »
Zelas found himself nodding. True enough, he hadn't looked at it that way, and they both agreed hearing the orc's story might clear things up. He grimaced at the last part, the memory hitting him like a wet branch.

< "Let's not pick at old scabs. I had just broken up with Nasja, I was in a bad place." >
He stopped to rub his neck.
< "Did I ever thank you for that? I was pretty angry at the time. If not, you have my thanks." >
He patted Auxzali's shoulder and smiled, then he turned and walked up to Tar-sul and Nim.

"Tar-sul, by your own words, you appear a thief to me. But if this white orc isn't the true owner of this box, and in fact could prove the wrong hands to hold it, then, and only then, your cause will be mine. I will hear the orc speak before I decide."