llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Holy cripes this site is huge.  (Read 354 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline lilappleblossom

• Nomad
  • Newbie Gm trying to learn.
    • Awards
Holy cripes this site is huge.
« on: September 19, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
Hello, everyone. I'm Lilappleblossom, feel free to shorten that to make it easier, it's an old name that I use everywhere.

As for an actual intro I'm not normally one to post into intro threads but I suppose I should get into the habit if I mean to get any help here.

I'm a 26 year old female gamer, recently turned GM located in Florida. I haven't been gaming for long, five years or so. I started with D&D 3.5, tried 4e and disliked it. I stayed with 3.5 for a long time, going into Iron Kingdoms and other alternate forms of the system.

Systems I have under my experience belt are Savage Worlds, 3.5, 4e, Grimm, Pathfinder, Dark Heresy, Only War, Black Crusade, Call of Cthulhu and a few others that I've just read and never played.

I want learn all systems, really though sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to rules. I need constant reminders on how certain things work and such. I'm also not extremely organized. I'm a player that goes to the game for a story, not combat or levels. Systems I greatly want to learn are FATE, Fiasco, Amber diceless and any horror system out there.

I've been a part of the same group since the beginning with my boyfriend and 3 other friends and I also have another group of five that has been more recently formed. The latter group is the only I've DM'd with, I'm working toward DMing with my other group very soon.

I've only only have done 1 game which died for me, unfortunately. That was in 3.5 and I was inspired by the Slenderman mythos. Very quickly I found out that Vanilla 3.5 isn't really meant for the type of horror I was going for so it died out for me, my players were disappointed in some ways but understood. I want to plan another game for them in Savage Worlds but I've yet to come up with a solid idea for it.

The first thing that inspired me to DM is horror, I love to be scared and in the past our groups had only had passing horror quests, rather than entire campaigns. I tried and failed with my latest group in 3.5 now I'm trying again with my other group in Savage Worlds. I have a basic plan in my head but I find writing out and planning things difficult because I too often write too much and end up reading to my players, which isn't something I want. I don't trust myself to come up with things on the fly and so I over prepare, making it boring and predictable. So I'm working on that with my latest game.

Anyway, that's all I can really think to write. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thank you guys.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Holy cripes this site is huge.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
Greetings, lil' and welcome to the Citadel.

We are a creative lot here, you should fit right in. I hear what you're saying about overdoing it in planning. I do the same thing and often find I have the most fun when I just let go of all the planning and make things up as I go (I find the prep helps, even if in ways I didn't quite expect.) It's certainly a scary way to do it, though.

If you have any questions about the site, please let us know.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:18 PM »
Welcome welcome! It's always nice to see a new face around here.

As Mystic mentioned, feel free to ask away if you have any questions about the way things work around here. Also, some friendly advice: If your first submission gets what feels like a poor vote, don't despair. Almost all of us have had submissions that weren't much liked, especially our first ones. The key is to get back on the horse and keep submitting.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline lilappleblossom

• Nomad
  • Newbie Gm trying to learn.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »
Thanks very much for the welcome, you guys. Can't wait to start making submissions.

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
Thanks very much for the welcome, you guys. Can't wait to start making submissions.

Looking forward to seeing them.

Welcome

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »
Welcome to the site, LAB!
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »
Welcome Lil'!!!

I can't think of any questions, but from your intro it sounds like you will fit right in!!
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Longspeak

• Ubiquitous Obliquity
  • Apprentice
  • Quality used nuns for sale
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »
Greetings,

Now that I'm an old hand who has been on the site for nearly three weeks, please let me know if there are any questions I will very likely be unable to answer for you. :)

I look forward to reading your subs.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:10:24 PM »
Oh, that Longspeak; he so crazy!  :razz:
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:04:57 AM »
Welcome to the site Ossom! (I will take liberties with the shortening of your name, I didn't like pple or bloss)

I love that you have a couple groups to experiment. Great having folks that you can get together with and just have fun!

My quick suggestion for your preparing. Go ahead and overprepare and be hyper organized if that is your personality. Don't fight it. However, come game time, forget all that at home except for the key pieces and stats you need. Then wing the rest from your memory. Your world and adventure preparedness will give you the background you need and a basic overview without tying you down to reading descriptions. But there are a ton of ways to do it, you know better what your comfort level is...that is for sure!

By the way, who told you about the Holy Cripes we have here? I thought they were one of my secrets.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.