I run a weekly game over IRC which would love to have one more player. We used to have four, but lost our fourth due to depredations of the marauding Real World. If you might be free on Saturdays from 8pm to Midnight Eastern (GMT - 5 I think), read on.
The system is the One Roll Engine from Wild Talents 2nd Edition. It's easy to play, though a bit crunchy in the setup. System knowledge is a plus, but not required. We play over IRC, so typing is important. Voice isn't an option; one of the players doesn't have one.
Delta Factor is my setting, originally inspired by the Wild Cards series, influenced later by Aberrant. Players play once-ordinary people who are now Delta
, humans with great power. When the game first began in 2006, it was lower powered, focused more on the lives of people attempting to get by in a world which isn't ready for them. It's moved over the years into higher power, bigger challenges, and characters more interesting in taking charge than getting by.
The first Delta (that the world generally knows about) appeared on September 11, 2001. Jacob Richter, who would later be known as Polaris, was a successful but unassuming stock market analyst. In the fear and chaos, Jacob expressed
, gaining great power. He saved hundreds of lives, put out the fires, stopped the second jet, and then flew away to leave the world gasping for breath at what it had just witnessed.
He was first, and to this day remains one of the strongest, but he was far from last. Over the years more and more Deltas have expressed. Today (mid 2020) there are 600,000 worldwide. Half of those are in the US, a phenomenon which has caused a lot of speculation.
Until recently, the vast majority of Deltas possessed little or no Power. Class Zero Deltas were little more than circus freaks, and Class One could do simple parlor tricks, and they made up 99% of the Delta population. But on July 4th, 2020, a huge wave of Delta energy swept the world. It caused new expressions in every Delta, which the world is still trying to figure out. The entire classification system will be redefined before long.
Play is centered on the United States. I and all my current and past players are from the US, and we play what we know.
Several PCs live on the east coast, and a few more live on the west coast. A new character can be from pretty much anywhere, but he or she will be IN the U.S. for some reason.
There is a LOT of history, more than I could go into here. But a few of the more newsworthy highlights include:
- 9/11/2001 - First Delta Saves hundreds in NYC. A reporter dubs him Polaris, and the name sticks.
- April, 2006 - On live television, Polaris - the first Delta - is saved from an assassination attempt by several Deltas, including a real live Catgirl.
- December, 2006 - Daniel Voltaire, one of the Delta who helped stop the assassination of Polaris earlier in the year, opens the Los Angeles Community Center for Deltas. Modeled on the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, the center targets Deltas who have become increasingly marginalized.
- May 2007 - Quantum becomes the first Delta to don a costume and adopt a deliberate super identity.
- October 2007 - Quantum loses control and executes a Delta named Wilson "Warhammer" Brightman on live TV. Brightman had just murdered a police officer, and she visibly snapped, moments before crushing him under a three-ton bank vault door. A few days later, on the steps of City Hall, Quantum is shot while delivering a speech apologizing to the city. While she survives, the attack does reveal her secret identity. Quantum is in reality the 16 year old daughter of Daniel Voltaire.
- June 2009 - Across the US there are several attacks on known Deltas. Jacob "Polaris" Richter is buried alive in an explosion which kills three bystander. A plane Sarah Voltaire is in with her best friend is blown up. Sarah saves most of the passengers. Around this time Congressman Scot Hastings - the first Delta to be elected to congress - disappeared. He will never be found, and it is suspected he was a victim of the same violence.
- October 2009 - Newly moved to Greenwich Village, Sarah Voltaire gives an interview in which she reveals her powers are gone, though she declines to go into detail. She plans to make the most of life as a freshman at Columbia University.
- January 2010 - The Los Angeles Community Center for Deltas expands into a new facility thanks to a sizable anonymous donation.
- January 2013 - Katrina Yamato, a popular singer, outs herself as Delta when she saves a teenage boy who had somehow climbed the St. Louis arch. The blowback is severe, and nearly ruins her career amid accusations of Deltas "hiding" among normal people.
- August 2016 - A riot at Lompoc Federal Penitentiary - the only facility in the US able to contain most Delta criminals - results in several deaths and a few escapes before it is put down by a group of Deltas, including Katrina Yamato. The publicity helps relaunch her waning career, and her new album goes off the charts.
- Also in August, The Los Angeles Community Center for Deltas renames itself Delta House and opens centers in several cities, with plans for several more. Daniel Voltaire thanks several contributors for the assistance.
- Also in August, Lancaster Pharmaceuticals announces it will manufacture and and distribute the world's first working cure for Cancer. Based on research from a team working out of Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Lancaster opens the research up to public scrutiny and challenges other companies to join them in helping to eradicate Cancer.
- March, 2017 - Daniel Voltaire, founder of Delta House, dies in San Francisco. His wife Constance accepts an appointment as Executive Director, and relocates the Headquarters to New York City.
- November, 2017 - The Black Friday Outbreak infects hundreds of Class Zero and Class One Deltas before spreading to their baseline relatives. Lancaster Pharmaceuticals creates and distributes a cure for free, but not before the illness - a strain of the flu - kills thousands.
- January 2018 - Several federal agents are murdered, and several well-known Deltas are implicated in the deaths, including Polaris, Katrina Yamato and Aeris "Catgirl" Lancaster. Evidence later clears them. An explosion levels most of NSA Headquarters.
- June, 2019 - Glowing violet meteors strike in Portland, Oregon, New York City, Death Valley, and a state park in Oklahoma. Dozens are injured, but Deltas on scene save many lives. Katrina Yamato, on set of her latest movie, is caught on film saving her costar.
- August, 2019 - Another meteor strike levels the capital building and several other buildings in Washington DC, as well as Dulles International Airport. An investigation concludes these were not real meteors, but terrestrial rocks somehow launched. A few days later US Forces capture a massive ship at sea and it's crew of North Koreans. The ship carried a mass driver capable of launching the rocks halfway around the world.
- February, 2020 - After months of investigation and attempts to gain answers from North Korea, the US is poised to go to war for the cowardly attacks. At the 11th hour, a team of Delta investigators discover proof that North Korea's government was not involved. The invasion is canceled.
- Also in February, one afternoon Every Delta Class Two and above on the eastern seaboard experiences a moment of blinding pain. A few days later every Delta on the eastern half of the US loses power for about two hours. A cause is never discovered.
- July 4th, 2020 - A vast surge of Delta Energy hits every Delta on the planet. Ths surge causes many to temporarily lose control. Casualties are thankfully minimal. The next morning, Every Class Zero and One on the planet discovers he's no longer a Class Zero or One. When the dust settles, the scale which rates Deltas will be completely redefined.
There's a lot more. But those are the ones which would have made national news, plus a few colorful tidbits.
Message me here or in private message is you're interested.