Extraneous Voices of Picayune > Tomes and Illusions

Thoughtful Speculative Fiction -- or, how the Citadel ruined reading for me

<< < (2/2)

MysticMoon:
Outside of direct comments on my subs, I've learned quite a bit from conversations in chat. I had no clue just how cliche, predictable, and overdone many of my ideas have been until I ran some of them by others. Echo in particular never pulled his punches :) Muro and Mourn, of course, are a great tag-team when it comes to pushing me a little farther out. They, and others around here, have saved the world from some of my weaker ideas.

I know there's been a drive to make things a little gentler for the newer members but it seems like there should be some way to say, "here's my stuff, now tear it apart and make me fix it."

valadaar:
Add a comment to that effect would the simplest way I would think.

DeviantArt has a 'Detailed Critique Requested' flag. Maybe something like that would work as a formal mechanism.

mrcelophane:

--- Quote from: valadaar on August 20, 2013, 11:02:20 AM ---Add a comment to that effect would the simplest way I would think.

DeviantArt has a 'Detailed Critique Requested' flag. Maybe something like that would work as a formal mechanism.

--- End quote ---

Good idea, just did that in the Author's notes for my newest post.

MoonHunter:
Bad Writing is Bad Writing.  The more writing I do, the fewer pieces of fan fiction and non professional writing I can stomach. 

GMing and Gaming requires you to actually have pieces that make sense, work together, and can be reversed engineered RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.   It sets a standard for completeness that an author does not need.  AFter all, he can make sure his character "never need to go over there", "never want to go over there", or "already kinda know about "that"".  We do not have that luxury.  Some player is going to want to "go over there" or "want to learn about X" if for no other reason than to force the GM to scramble for a satisfactory answer or draw new parts of the map. Our audience is demanding.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version