llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Gathering  (Read 10203 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
The Gathering
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »

"So, ya won't tell me where you got em?", whined Kwell. "s**t, you can't even spare one?"

Leeroy grinned back the the scrawny Kwell, "No. I'm not gonna, and the last thing I'm gonna do is give you a taste for em.
If you want some, you're just going to go out and find some yerself. Now, keep your eyes out there where they belong, unless
ya want a Raider having his way with your momma."

Kwell looked back out over the wall, nervously gripping his rifle. "Well, I've caps, wonder if Sanjas' got any.."

"Her?" laughed Leeroy, "She calls 'em Devil Sticks. She burns any she gets, and not in a useful way. Tebac or MJ, she hates em both."

"Hey, there's someone comin', looks like a girl..."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Only an hour earlier Carnagie had taken an unwelcome bath in ditch, compliments of the loud engines of a group of wheeled raiders running the long road.
While it offered the best walking, and the clearest sight lines, it still was relatively well travelled, and more than occasionally by a group of
raiders that liked hitting Stonehammer.

The ditch had been the closet cover, and served its purpose, for the raiders had not even slowed down.  They were returning back to thier camp, and one of the ATVs was billowing smoke as it passed. There were half a dozen ATVs, and at least two raiders on each, so there was no thought of fighting them.

She had almost dried out when she got to the gate of Red-tower, passing by an ancient white sided gas station that had been stripped to the concrete.

The wall sentries had just noticed her, but not as soon as she had expected....

"Hey Luc! Someones coming up to the gate! "

---------------------

Luc had just left what passed for a bar drinking what passed for a beer.  Marcus was there too - the two had patrolled the past day, uneventful apart from finding a lot of fresh Coyote spoor.  That would need checked out again. Those were bad news, nearly as bad as the d**n raiders...

---------------------

Anya was outside of the Mayors office, she had been asked to see him.  She was only there a minute or so when the Mayor - more like a major in bearing, came to her.

"Going to need you to use yer rifle, Anya. Coyotes traces been seen, and we need them taken out, and soon.  No idea how many there are yet - you can get that figured out
and then collect what help you can when you're ready.  I've a short list of names.  I've got some extra ammo for you before you go. Some .50's for your cannon there."

   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Gossamer

  • Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 718
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:57:48 AM »
Carnegie kicked a rock and squinted towards the wall, she shaded her eyes with her left hand and waved with the right, knowing that rifles were probably trained on her always made her nervous. Not as much game this time as she'd hoped for. Hopefully "Auntie" Tilly would have a stew on, she thought as she meandered her way towards what served as the gates.

Elvis dogged her all the way with a wagging tail and tongue, happily oblivious to any rifles trained his way.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:18:21 AM by Gossamer »
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1822
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:50:42 AM »
"So there was the two raiders - so @!#$ing pissed because i'd just knocked over the stewpot - The Psychomoose was gone but we could still hear the bloody thing bleating in the woods and all I could think about was how fast I could pull my d**n pants off because the stew was fast burning me jewels!"

Luc had found Marcus two hours ago and they had naturally decided to take five minutes for a drink. Now they were sauntering out of the 'pub', and Luc was retelling the story of how he was harassed by a mutant moose in the forests outside of Kenebec one winter.

"So the marauders were standing there - The only thing stopping them from killing me on the spot was the fact I had just run into their camp screaming like a madman and started revealing myself! So I -"

"Hey Luc! Someone's coming up to the gate!"

The voice of Kwell hollered over to the man. For a second, Luc's eyes narrowed, but then he relaxed - the tone of Kwells words didn't suggest raiders; perhaps just a vagrant.

"C'mon Mark, let's check it out!" Luc ran to the wall and swiftly climbed the ladder up to the top where Kwell and Leeroy stood - Leeroy had a rifle aimed down at the traveler. He peered down to the exterior just in time to see Carnegie emerge from the side of the old gas station. " Luc Alexzandr smiled and yelled down, "Well look at the little bee that's buzzing up to the gate; Hello there, Carnegie!"

"You're looking a wee bit soggy there, little bee! Why don't you buzz off and dry up before you come on in?" Luc's tone was light-hearted, of course, and as he jeered down to Carnegie he placed a hand on the barrel of Leeroy's rifle and gently pushed it down away from Carnegie's direction.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:56:40 AM by Shadoweagle »
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Gossamer

  • Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 718
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »
Carnegie looked up in time to see Luc. She pulled down her left eyelid and stuck her tongue out at him. "Nyeh! Raiders sent me swimming s'all. Open up!" She said and smiled at her friend, least there was a friendly face there to greet her. She didn't much care for the company Luc kept though.

Elvis barked a greeting as well.
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline caesar193

  • Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • *
  • Posts: 453
  • Awards 2013 Most Quest Submissions 2013 System of the Year Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Locations Guild Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
When Marcus followed Luc up the ladder and gazed down at the arrival, he sighed. Casually plucking the "devilstick" from between Leroy's lips, he headed off to open the gate. Though Carnegie and he had a mutual distrust, there was no practical reason to keep someone capable of shooting an enemy outside their walls.

Marcus opened the gate just enough for Carnegie to enter, and said "Get anythin' good while you were out takin' a dip?"

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
--------------------------------------------------------
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1822
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 03:00:00 AM »
Luc shrugged apologetically to Leeroy for Marcus's actions and bade the guards farewell with a wave before making his way to the duo at the gate. As Marcus asked his question to Carnegie, Luc dropped to one knee and beckoned to Elvis for a scratch behind the ears, "Hello pup! You know it's really you i'm glad to see, right!?"

Luc glanced up to Carnegie, his tone turning serious for a change, "Good that you made it back before dark Carnie; Mark an' I did the run yesterday - Spotted some fur an' fresh tracks. Mark nearly trod in some dung, too! Looks like Coyotes again. Can't say how many, but it's definitely more than just one stray." Luc sighed and stood, dusting his knees to remove the mud. "We let ol' Barry know an' he said he'll sort it out - he'll probably organize a party to go hunting - but you probably don't wanna leave the walls alone."

It was patronizing advice he gave; Of the three, Luc was probably the one least able to defend himself against Coyotes, but he had always felt that as the eldest he should be looking out for the best interests of his friends.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Gossamer

  • Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 718
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:44:25 AM »
Carnegie startled and hesitated a second when Marcus's face peered out of the gate and spoke to her. Of all the guardsmen, this one ranked among the dregs. A violent, brutish and condescending sort. And she was pretty sure she had caught him leering at her one time too many to feel comfortable around him. But he hadn't done anything to her personnally(yet), it was just something about the man, that reminded her of a wild animal. Nevertheless it was a fair question and she had to reply.

"I...No. Jess some molerat." She looked away, shrugged and walked past him uneasily, she turned to Luc instead as he spoke. "Yeah. I did saw a lot of coyote tracks. ...Jess tracks though. Probly why there's so little game."

Elvis, ever happy to see a friend, wagged his tail and busied himself licking some grime off of Luc's face. Carnegie smiled crookedly at the sight and his words, crossing her arms, it was nice to be cared for, but if it came down to it, a few coyotes wouldn't be a problem. She gave a nod anyways.

"I'm off ta see Auntie once I've given my report with the Mayor. Hopefully I'll be right along time for lunch. Elvis, come." She raised her hand in parting, with a reluctant nod to Marcus and strode off towards the Mayor's compound.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:36:33 AM by Gossamer »
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Kassy

  • Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 647
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 07:08:15 AM »
"Sure thing, sir. Who's coming with me?" She passed an almost inaudible sigh after the mayor told her what she had to do. Coyotes, again.. Why am I still doing this s**t, I shoulda moved outta here long ago..

She waited for him to give her the list. Wondering whether the trails had been cleared recently. A shudder ran down her spine as an image of Roy flickered through her mind, as he had been just moments before.. Put it outta your gorram mind girl.. now's not the darn time.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
The mayor looked up at Anya. "You think you know how many you need? We can spare Kreadle Moore, Luc Alekzandr, Fred Mills, Leeroy Baker,Jane O'Francis and.."

At that moment, Carnegie entered the Mayor's office.
"Carnegie Roberts. " he said with a smile at Carnegie.  "Fine timing. You'll want to clean up a bit before you go though, right?"
"Anyway, find anything interested out there today?" he asked, pointed not commenting on her somewhat damp appearance.






   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Gossamer

  • Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 718
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
After she entered, Carnegie belatedly thought maybe she ought to have knocked first, but the guards did let her in after all. She did a quick sweep of the room, at least the Mayor's wife wasn't anywhere to be seen, but she was surprised to see Anya standing there. The two had met a few times before, and while mayhaps they were too far apart age wise to call eachother friends, they had bonded over their mutual interest in weapons. Carnegie being one of few people capable of repairing Anya's piece, here in Kenebac, they were bound to run into eachother. She gave an acknowledging nod to her and turned to the Mayor.

"Uh yes sir mister mayor... sir, I ran into at least 12 raiders on half as many ATVs. That's why I'm wet, uh I ended up hidin in a ditch ye see. And uh I saw some coyote tracks, hunting was bad, only got me the one molerat. And then uh...some really bad news, yer honor. The Thor has started moving again."

She finished and gave the Mayor a mixed look of anticipation and concearn.
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
"Ah, old Thor. Thats earlier than last year. Hope it stops early too or it will throw off Doc Sterlin' calculations.

You know he says that in a few years - maybe ten or so, that thing might chew its way here? Too bad we can't turn it around into those *******s at Stonehammer eh?"

Doc Sterling was the oldest man in Kenebac, and had a lab about 500 meters from Red Tower. Rumor was he had some actually running electronics, though he was loath to share. He was loath to talk to anyone, dreadfully cold and bitter. 

"Dozen of them?  They must have assimilated another group or they are breeding like @!#$ing rabbits.  We might have to do something about that one of these days.  Thanks for the info - get a little rest and see whatcha can do about them coyotes."

   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1822
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
"Well, i would venture a guess that we will be asked to go on a little coyote hunt before long, Marc; they'll no doubt want to start the search where we found the tracks. I'm gonna go have a chat to Sanja."
With that, he bade his friend farewell and made his way along the makeshift path to Sanja's dwelling. As a matter of courtesy, Luc knocked thrice before pushing the door open and walking in.

Sanja was sitting at a bench, a tidy pile of tools beside her as she worked studiously on a metallic object which Luc could not identify. Without raising her eyes she spoke, "Hello, Luc."

Though she wasn't looking, Luc flashed her a brilliant grin. "My dear Sanja! You may have heard the news; Coyotes have come to hunt around Kenebec! I can't help but feel that my name will be drawn out as one of the hunters."
Luc sighed, "You know me, Sanja; i can't argue my way out of a pack of wild dogs! Have you happened to acquire anything recently that might give me an edge out there? At the very least I'm sure I'll need soms clean bandages and alcohol in case one of us gets bitten!"
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »
Sanja lookup up at Luc and gave him a half-smile.

"Richard's will likely lend you a medi-pack once you head out. I think we put a few stim-packs in em we bought from some traders last week. Got as many bandages as you can carry though.
But don't have anything beyond the usual stuff. Not today at least.   Oh, if you get any scavenging done, I could use any batteries or cells you can find. "

If you have the caps, you can buy more equipment if you like.  Having access to the bandages gives you a +1 bonus on Heal checks, not cumulative with better medical equipment.



   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1822
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »
Luc walked out of Sanja's with half a dozen bandages, and minus several caps. He made a beeline towards the sorry excuse for a pub - where he had some meagre quarters on the second floor. It was time to rest and relax, because he was fairly certain that if he was asked into the coyote hunt, he would want to be alert.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
Early the next day, the group assembled to head out.  The morning was a little cool, foreshadowing the fall which would come soon.

Kreadle had came out to join them, Richards having suggested him when Anya had asked his opinion. A sharp eye he said.

Richard also joined them, puffing on a cigarette as he came up, a small red bag in one hand. A medi-kit.

"Great morning for a hunt. This friends, is on loan. Return whats left when you get back. 
Don't underestimate the bastards. They will eat people, and they know about guns. Have fun.", and Richards turned away and left.


Kreadle kneeled nearby Elvis and offered his hand and a small piece of dried meat to the dog. Elvis gratefully snatched up the treat and seemed quite happy with his new instant friend.

"Shall we go," said Kreadle, a smile for Carnagie and Anya.

--------------------------------------------------

The road - dubbed Red-Tower road site ran northeast from Red Tower, past a ruined stripmall on the right - mostly burnt to the ground, and several small commercial buildings on the left.  Little glass remained - most had been either broken or looted for use elsewhere.

It lead downhill from there, past commercial buildings half reclaimed by the forests which blanketed the region.  Shortly after, they reached an intersection between this road - called Red-Tower road and Stonehammer road.  This was a fairly wide road ,reasonably clear and well travelled - it was the main road to Bedmond.  Red-tower roaded continued on, passing yet another ruined stripmall and many small houses, many burned or collapsed from the furies of winters past.

Another five minutes of careful walking brought them to the old train-bridge, which was still standing, but overgrown with plants like some great windowbox.  The spoor had been found nearby.  A large, once fine home still stood nearby, three stories high with gaping windows, and an old play-structure - sagging and decrepit, featured prominently in its front yard.

Cautious birdsong, and the far off noise of Thor grazing on bedrock was all that could be heard.

-----------------------------------------------------------

First Aid Kit  (1 lb, 80 caps)

Supplies provide up to 10 points of bonuses, with +4 being the most that can be used at any one time.  Kit is useless once all 10 points used, except as a nice containers.
In addition, 2 stim packs are contained, and a pouch of Stitcher  (doubles natural healing rate for 1 day, 3 doses)
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1822
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »
Luc whistled along casually as the five people made their way to where he and Marcus had found the spoor the other day; though his eyes watched carefully along the treeline for any signs of danger. He watched Anya and Kreadle out of the corner of his eyes, too. Anya he had conversed with several times - she was pleasant enough, but her intensity and lack of humour put Luc on edge a bit; he felt like she had some serious s**t going on in her head and wouldn't open up until she figured it out.
As for Kreadle, he was a friendly enough sort, and well equipped. Luc often has passing conversations with him on the way to visiting Tilly, since he's often out admiring the garden. Apparently the little gadget he wore in his ear made him hear better, but Luc had his suspicions that it was only for show.

Finally they arrived at the three story house that Luc was trying to get Marcus to explore with him when they found the tracks. "Ah yes, over here! Luc waved the group over to the far side of the dilapidated play structure, not far from the start of the forest overgrowth. There, on the ground was several canine footprints, and ten feet away lay a distinct pile of droppings, now dried.

"Carny! Your eyes are better than mine for this kind of s**t; can you make anything of these tracks?"
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Gossamer

  • Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 718
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 06:05:11 AM »
It had been a hasty exodus for Carnegie, just fresh home from her latest hunting trip and reporting to the Mayor, she only got the one night back at the boarding house. Least she had gotten to wash up, eaten and done some basic gun maintenance. Still, she was a morning person and always ready for a field trip. This Kreadle fellow, had been living at Tilly's as well, but he never spoke much, still, Elvis seemed to like him, so he was probably a good sort. She scanned her surroundings as they marched, only pausing to reply when spoken to.

Perception check, got a 14 +3. Also assuming that Elvis keeps running perception checks.

She looked at the empty windows of the big house, watching for movement, when Luc called her over.

She hunkered down and poked the droppings to pieces with a stick(pausing to shove an overly interested Elvis away), and then examined the tracks.

Lesse, Knowledge(nature) I suppose? Got a 19 +5!
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »

The scat turned up nothing interesting. No human teeth, which was a good thing.  The tracks told a more interesting story.

There were a significant number of animals that passed by - that was clear even to Luc.  What Carnegies' hunting experience told her was that there were different sized coyotes - some were quite a bit larger than she was used to seeing. At least two of the track sets were larger than the others - and significantly larger than Elvis's own prints.

The tracks lead towards the trainbridge, following another, lightly travelled road towards Bedmond.  A harsh crow caw broke the relative silence.

Tracking is included in Survival, not knowledge (nature). 
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Gossamer

  • Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 718
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
Carnegie straightened up and tossed the stick, and motioned harshly to Elvis to prevent him from retrieving it. "Whole pack. At least two of em might be mutated." She turned to Luc and flicked his ear. "When yer hunting, you don't go hollering like that. Tell the others to hush it from now on." She added sternly, hunkered and slowly started to stalk her way towards the trainbridge with her loaded rifle in her grasp. She looked back over her shoulder one last time and whispered to Luc. "And don't be cussing either."

Stealth check 13 +10.

If I've got clear sight to the trainbridge, I'd like to make another Perception check through my scope. ...Okay, 1, so clearly there were some dirt on the lens.
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline caesar193

  • Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • *
  • Posts: 453
  • Awards 2013 Most Quest Submissions 2013 System of the Year Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Locations Guild Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
Marcus waited patiently as Carnegie checked the s**t, and looked and listened to the surrounding woodlands and (especially) the bridge.

Listening for lack of noise that signals predator (probably coyotes). Perception Roll:(16:10:20) Minion: caesar193 rolls 1d20 and gets 18, +4=22

Before he left, however, he looked down at the tracks, curious about how old they were.

Okay, since I'm not tracking, I'd assume its knowledge (nature). Though if its is survival, my bonus is the same, so whatever. Therefore: (16:22:04) Minion: caesar193 rolls 1d20 and gets 17, +4=21.

Marcus nodded to himself, shouldered his axe, looked nostalgically at the abandoned swings, and followed Carnegie off towards the bridge.

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
--------------------------------------------------------
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
The tracks were quite visible from some distance - a recent rainfall had made the soil conducive to tracks. 

This jived with Marcus' estimation of the tracks age - perhaps a day old at most.  Carnegie was doing a fine job using the brush to hide her approach to the bridge, though it seemed there was nothing watching save crows.

The train bridge was very sturdy, and bore ancient, faded graffiti. "Have a Nice Day" was spray painted on the central post. The road beyond had a canopy of broad oaks which had grown in from either side.  A large ruined house stood on the left, its once yellow plastic vinyl barely hanging on.  The windows, glass long gone, appeared like the sockets of a skull.


Luc and Carnegie thought they heard something in the distance that seemed like a quick 'yip', and then no more...    Successful Perception roll
 
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®
      
   
            
         
                
         

Offline Shadoweagle

  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 1822
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 01:56:47 AM »
Luc grumbled incoherently as he trailed along behind the others, after having been chastised by Carnegie. As they neared the train bridge he quietened down, however. He studied the ancient structure curiously, noting with a wry smile the up-beat message in graffiti.
Luc he blinked and peered around cautiously - did he hear a canine yipping? At first he dismissed it as his overactive imagination, but he then noticed Carnegie peering about as well - she had heard it also!

Luc plucked his crossbow from his back and loaded a bolt into it, pulling back the crank, "On your guard," he muttered to the group - for once, Luc's wearied expression was serious. He stayed behind Marcus and nudged the well-built man forward in the general direction of the 'yip', "I heard something..."

Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13


Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline caesar193

  • Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • *
  • Posts: 453
  • Awards 2013 Most Quest Submissions 2013 System of the Year Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Locations Guild Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
Marcus nodded quiety in response to Luc's nudge, and quietly drew his shield from behind his back. He readied his axe and shield in front of him, and quietly stalked towards the direction Luc had gestured.

"Carnegie, Luc, Anya, spread and cover me. Kreadle, support," he whispered to his companions.

He then quietly stalked forward, towards the noise of the coyotes.

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
--------------------------------------------------------
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline Gossamer

  • Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • *
  • Posts: 718
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »
Carnegie felt on edge now. They were close. Hardly hearing Marcus, she started lagging behind the others. She knew her role, and was determined to play it well. She continued slowly through the underbrush towards the source of the sound, with Marcus in front and the others fanning out, finding their own positions.

If you need me to make another Stealth check, 13 +10
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:50:34 AM by Gossamer »
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline valadaar

  • Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • ****
  • Posts: 3088
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Gathering
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
Close, perhaps not.

After several minutes, the group had sat tense, but nothing further was heard.  Then, now that every ear was straining to the task, another yip, more distant, could be heard.  But no more.

Carefully, they moved up closer, stopping to listen, and again, the sound of something distant drew them on.

Marcus caught movement from the corner of his eye and looked towards it - a small feral cat had appeared, and froze with surprise.

Carnegie - Handle Animal check please, DC 12. You have better number's than your dog's willpower dave :)   Outcome of failure is obvious...
   
         Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®