llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Trello  (Read 1105 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Trello
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:55 PM »
https://trello.com

I found a link to Trello while reading Joel Spolsky's blog, and decided to give it a try. I'm glad that I did.

At first I was a little uncertain about how to use it (which is one of the warnings they give you, since it's such a generic tool), but the more I use it, the more I figure out things to do with it. I currently have about 10 different boards, and they work exceptionally well for organizing my thoughts and information.

Since the entire point is to be "useful", here are a few examples of how I use it:
  • Follow-Ups -- I use this board to store links of all kinds that I want to follow up on later. Normally this happens when I encounter a plethora of interesting-sounding articles at work, so I'll add them to the appropriate list and read them later. Current lists are: Articles, GMing, Blogs, Tools, and Books
  • Daily Check -- I use this board to store links to websites that I check on a daily or semi-daily basis. I used to just keep a bookmarks folder which I would just traverse every day, but after the Nth time where I almost lost the entire list due to a computer crash, I've decided to store it in a place where I can access it easily from any location. Current lists are: Blogs, Webcomics, and Sites/Forums
  • Useful Tools -- I use this board to store links to tools that I've found handy and don't want to forget about. Current lists are: How-To Articles, Standalone, Python Modules, and Web Libraries
  • Sourcebook: The Bringers of Midnight -- This board is probably the most relevant to Strolenites. I use it to organize information about "The Bringers of Midnight", describing individual submissions (and what is still needed for them), storing potential ideas, keeping track of ideas I definitely want to pursue, etc. I've found it to be extremely handy, much more than I expected when I first started it. Current lists are: Raw Ideas, To Do, In Progress, Sidebars, and Finished

Up to now I've been using simple text files to store information about potential submissions. Now, however, I've developed such a solid workflow with the Bringers sourcebook board that I'm planning to move all my submission material onto a "Strolen Submissions" board and use it in roughly the same fashion. It has proven just too handy for organization for me to not take advantage of it.

I would heartily encourage other Strolenites to sign up and give it a try. It's 100% free, and you can mark any of your boards private, so you don't have to worry about privacy problems (seriously, read their Privacy Policy: best policy I've seen in my entire life).
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --