llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dream Walkers  (Read 8608 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2003, 09:51:25 AM »
Speaking of dream walkers, has anyone else read the sword of truth novels? One of the principal bad guys is bad because he is a dream walker. The newest novel came out recently.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2003, 10:53:49 AM »
Some one asked what would happen if a dreamwalker didn't get out before the sleeper woke up, or if he or she fought with someone while in the dreams.

Perhaps that is how multiple personalities develop.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2003, 10:55:51 AM »
Agar, are you talking about the Emperor Whats-his-name?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2003, 09:12:21 PM »
exactly and there are numerous ways one could intertwine this into history such as the suggestion of the Native American spirit guide or even some of the ancient Gods and Godesses!  however my question remains unanswered  how do these people get there power are they chosen or is it something they are born with?
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2003, 09:46:16 PM »
I'd say the power is a skill more than a gift. You can be born with it and be able to master it quickly, it might take many years to be able to accomplish, or you may not be able to do it at all.
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2003, 01:22:13 AM »
Yup, Emperor whats-his-name. The dude with the freaky eyes and the body piercing fetish. Sadistic, Psychotic, Sociopathic big bad guy, Emperor whats-his-name. But his powers are more on a different line than the dream walkers being discussed here. While he uses dreams to contact and comand his thralls, he can also show up in thier minds at any given moment. Little more munchkin-ish than what is being discussed.
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2003, 01:34:15 AM »
That's why I stopped reading Sword of Truth. Everybody is incredibly powerful and special, and they all know everything about the world, yet somehow, there is always another giant, all-powerful evil hanging over the horizon, and they're always stunned and they get their asses kicked, and then Richard learns that he can do something amazing and the day is saved.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline strom

• Guardian
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2003, 02:16:47 AM »
Adel
I, myself, envision them having no physical form; instead more of a spiritual body. Their powers being inherent in nature, and just as animals migrate, so too do the dreamwalkers.

They could also be referred to as manna leeches, as they are devouring the inner energy of their victim. Their powers are just a necessary tool to extract it's meal.
Conan! What are three great things in life?

To crush your enemies; to have them flee before you, and to hear the lamenations of their women.

Conan The Barbarian

Offline Dimensification

• Journeyman
    • http://www.dvvideo.net/paradox/
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2003, 09:35:51 AM »
So we haven't even come to the conclusion of what they are.

From one side, they are a class.

From one side, it's an inheritance.

From another side, it's a race all in itself.

This is just going to get us nowhere, because we can all have our different ideas of what they are, and even moreso, what they do. I'm just here to describe the laws of phsyiology.
"I hear the trumpet calling..." [/u][/color]

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2003, 11:23:01 AM »
in my own thoughts I wouldn't have all of them wanting to  harm the sleeper you see to have good and bad is what creates the nessasary conflict that keeps one interested in the story.... perhaps they all must feed off of the energy of the sleeper however the good ones offer a service they allow for sweet dreams instead of nightmares and only take what is needed for their own survival the bad ones on the other hand are power hungry they take all they can get from their victim and in taking such vast amounts of energy they produce hectic nightmares and posssibly greater danger (loss of sanity and so forth) if the two happen to meet in a specific sleeper then a battle will resume.
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Dimensification

• Journeyman
    • http://www.dvvideo.net/paradox/
    • Awards
Hypnos...
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2003, 12:24:30 PM »
Hypnos is the original dream walker. The twin god of Thanatos (Death). A winged god, who put people to sleep and invoked their dreams with amazing adventures...Yes, indeed, he put Zeus to sleep once. Zeus threatened him never to do it again, but Hypnos laughed...For Hypnos' power was basically, unstoppable...You can't stop someone who can sedate you at will, and you're going to mess with someone who can affect your dreams? Have you -seen- Freddy Kreuger??
"I hear the trumpet calling..." [/u][/color]

Offline Agar

• Master
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2003, 03:02:46 PM »
There's not always a new all powerful thingy off to cause havok, ever since Blood of the Fold, it's been Emperor whats-his-name (I really should look that up). He's been the epicenter for most of the problems since he brought is endless army into the new world. Considering how big the old world was, and that he had ALL of it at his command, he's a big problem. Every thing Richard has had to do and figure out and solve has been ways to slow down and hinder the Emperor.

But it has been a bit silly on how it's always been "one more thing". I know the author needs to eat to, and he is doing us the favor of not having swarms of superbeings hovering off stage, but it'd be nice to see the Emperor get whuped.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Dream Walkers
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2004, 12:27:26 AM »
OK, a new post after a long time of idleness, so I will try and sum up what we have so far.

Dreamwalkers are a people with the skill to enter others dreams and manipulate them to certain extents. The extent of manipulation can be determined by each individual user.

Entering the dream and exiting each require extensive skill and concentration, and a wrongful execution will awaken the dreamer while the walker is still inside.

In the case of the above event, the walker's mind is trapped in that of the dreamer, unable to control anything, but forced to submit to the dreamers will until he falls asleep again. The body of the walker remains, lifeless, as the mind has left it temporarily.

A dreamwalker is capable of killing the dreamer in the dream, which results in a death of the mind, so the person dies, but the walker must be exceedingly proficient at dreamwalking before this can happen.

A person who has been walked several times can learn to guard their dreams, and make entrances and manipulation harder, though exiting is always just as easy, unless the dreamer can train himself/herself to wake at any given time.

A walker or a person who can guard their dreams must be able to maintain awareness of their own dreams, to work their skills, or they will be swept away!

Anything else?
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!