llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chapter 3: Choices  (Read 1529 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • I can acquire the item you seek, for a price…
    • Awards
Re: Chapter 3: Choices
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »
Asha nodded, letting out a sigh of relief that no one seemed injured, pulling out her flashlight and kneeling down to assist Carnegie in the robots salvage, hoping int he dim light Carnegie wouldn't notice Aha's tail curled part way under her skirt. "That was a hell of a bang, I wonder if the town felt the shake from it?" She tossed the question to the room, her thoughts becoming more focused on the task at hand and dangers awaiting them deeper in the complex.

Offline Carnegie H. Roberts

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2015, 07:16:40 AM »
Carnegie shifted the toaster in her grip as she examined its underbelly, tilting it to give Asha a view. In response to the doc, she said; "...Prolly tajk a soldering iron ta attach dis cable agin, but dis battery majt lajkly be a few hunnred notches better den regular ones. So's we's back ta lookin fer a workshop... N'd Ah'd really hanker ta see the vents workin agin iffin we's gunna be in 'ere much longer..." She added, and bent down to pat Elvis reassuringly. She took the moment to steady her own jittery nerves.

She straightened and winced at Anya's words. It was a real shame about Dot12, but all things considered, he wasn't really human. Maybe more like a really smart pet you had hardly gotten to know. It was a scary thought, to be inside the belly of the beast like this, every camera an eye, every denizen a potential clawed limb or fang. She shrugged in response and looked around, trying to orientate herself among the changed scenary. Had they already opened all the doors on this level?

She shrugged again at Asha. "Wouddn't count on it, we're pretty far away fra home..." What a disheartening thought. She cleared her throat and reached out for an awkward pat on Asha's shoulder paired with a weak smile intended to undo her words.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2015, 08:35:55 AM »
Carnegie's eyes settled on the two yawning doorways on the north side of the cafeteria.  The robots always seemed to have come out of one of them.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2015, 06:43:04 AM »
"Dot12 came outta dere." Carnegie indicated. "Dat's one a de rooms we 'avent checked yet." She said and readied her stun stick, making her way slowly towards the unknown doorway.

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
Ayna nodded and leveling her Uzi at the door way, stepping side ways and carefully advancing ready to leap for the nearest section of cover should it prove necessary.

(GM, perception roll please?)

Offline Elvis

• Hunting Dog Extraordinaire
  • Apprentice
  • "I ain't nothin' but a hound dog..."
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2015, 11:42:26 PM »
Elvis whined and followed her hesitantly, trailing a short distance behind, his belly brushing the ground and he pawed his way forward looking up at her fearfully.

Offline Doc West

• Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2015, 11:45:24 PM »
"I recommend caution." He said quietly, probing the floor ahead of him with his cane as he walked, checking dutifully for weak spots the blast may have caused, even if it looked structurally sound to the eye. "Once you have acquired all the parts will we need to return to Kinnebac for you to assemble your device, or are you capable of doing so in the field as it were miss Roberts?"
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2015, 01:33:33 AM »
With a nod Asha drew her handgun and flicked on the light, advancing at Carnegie's side wordlessly, cautiously panning the light  to expore the darkened room ahead and illuminate any hostiles or traps within.

Calling for a Gm Perception Roll please.

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
Carnegie slowed down to walk beside the doctor and spoke in a hushed tone. "De only thang dat concerns me s'time, doc. As long as Ah've got de tools, Ah could pick sumthang together, but it'll tajk a while Ah reckon. De better part uva day or so. With de air-vents not workin rajt, Ah dunno iffin dat's tajm we've got ta spend. Dat computer majt sooner suffocate us all, including its hostages." She said with worry written all over her face, but she immidiately shrugged it off.

"In either case, Ah reckon all we's kin do s'try. So rajt naow, a workshop's wut we need ta be lookin fer."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
The robots room was a workshop - sorta.

A large table equipped with a small crane - probably just powerful enough to handle a couple hundred pounds, with what appeared to be good light fixtures - assuming there was power.

Shelves with a few boxes, including a rather large on the bottom shelf.  A select of what appeared to be charging cables hung from a box labeled 'Charging station'.

A few loose batteries, some brushes, some odd cans with red buttons on top, a a plastic jug of what appeared to be lubricant were visible, as were a number - four- of locked storage units in the wall.  The doors were metal and no hinges were evident.  Each had a small rectangular opening about a centimeter wide and half as much high, and an indicator light currently showing very dim red.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
Carnegie glanced at the other doorway before looking into the robot room. "Well! Looks lajk we struck oil." She said and clapped her hands together in joy. She gave the doors a second glance, hoping they weren't automated. She strolled in and started unpacking her gear onto the table, without getting too close to the crane arm. "Uhm, if sum of yous coudd mabbe pry open those lockers, Ah'd be mighty pleased. In de mean tajm Ah'll get ta work buildin de gizmo." She said with a look back. She started rummaging through the shelved boxes, taking inventory of what was available to her.

She then did a test run of the equipment, checking for power. Warning everyone to stand clear of the crane arm, just in case.

If everything checks out and nothing unexpected happens, Carny'll be getting to work. I'll be back Thursday so if you need rolls; (14, 15, 8)

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2015, 12:54:47 AM »
Asha turned and nodded, heading over to the lockers and patiently taking her time to open them, laying any belongings of worth out on a table for everyone to see.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
The small rectangles turned out to an interface port of some type - they were not physical locks Asha could pick. It looked like it needed a computer or similar device to interface with.

There was no power to the desk, so the crane was not running. 

The big box drew Carnegie to it like a moth to the flame.  It was labeled "Yankee Systemics Steward 7", ".7 HC Rated" "24 hour Operating Cycle".

Cracking the cardboard open revealed a sea of bubblewrap surrounding something that looked very much like..

Dot 12.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
Carnegie drew in breath. "Dot12?" She mumbled. Or maybe one of his brothers? In either case, the last robot had been used against them. But then again, he had had explosives taped to him, so maybe the robot itself didn't pose so much of a threat on its own.

"Ah found un' a Dot12's brothers. Shoudd we boot 'im up? On de un' 'and, it'd be good ta 'ave sumune walk me through the stuff's dat's 'ere. But a course dere's the possibillity 'e majt be a spy iffin 'e's connected ta de computer somehow..." She shrugged.

"We ain't got ny'power either... 'e majt know how ta get it up n' runnin agin. N' Ah prolly need power un' way a de other ta majk any use a de stuff dat's 'ere. So, uhm dere's dat..."
She brushed some hair from her face and looked around for guidance.

Offline Elvis

• Hunting Dog Extraordinaire
  • Apprentice
  • "I ain't nothin' but a hound dog..."
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
Elvis padded alongside his master, the sight of the newly packaged Dot-12 making him pant in eagerness, the memories of the same figure bringing food still fresh in his mind, other thoughts of noise and fear momentarily forgotten.

Offline Doc West

• Doctor, Judge, Confidant.
  • Apprentice
  • Loyalty is a two way street.
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
"I would recommend being careful, perhaps just taking the pieces from the non functional robot would be a better move?" The doctor suggested, leaning on his can and looking around in wonder at the level of sophistication the underground complex possessed.

"Medically speaking it is perhaps for the best the ventilation is shutdown for now, otherwise the cadavers in that other room would be spreading their odor and sickness to the rest of the facility." He gave his companions a nod, the silence of the place a start contrast to the noise of the surface world he had long since become accustomed to.
"Sometimes we need to be hurt in order to grow, we must fail in order to know. We must lose in order to gain, some lessons are learned best through pain."

Offline Ayna

• Apprentice
  • One shot, one kill.
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »
Ayna nodded absent mindly, her thoughts more focused on the dangers still hidden in the depth of the facility, and the nearness with which they had all been blown to pieces.

"I really dislike explosives," She said to herself quietly, memories of another explosion in her past, and the life it cost unbidden memories that threatened to overwhelm her calm exterior.

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »
"Anyone got a crowbar?" She asked her friends, eyeing the lockers with curiosity. "Hopefully these lockers can be forced, otherwise whatever's inside is staying that way until we find an computer of some kind."

She paused at the thought looking up from the panels, "Was there any kind of pocket computers on the bodies in that other room?"

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »
Slinging the shotgun, Creed pulls off his backpack and unstraps the crowbar tied to the side before offering it to Asha. Pulling the old book from its case, Creed started to study the contents in the hopes of it offering some advice before staring at the missing sections.

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
Asha took the crowbar with a nod of thanks, pausing for a second to eye the damaged book before returning her attention to the locker and trying to pry it open. "So Mr. Creed, what's the story behind that book? Ever read the missing parts?"

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »
"It was my father's. A treaty on warfare in all of its forms. He used the wisdom he gained from it to lead the guards that patrolled the caverns. I grew up listening to him read it and then inherited it upon his death." Creed flips the book book over and run his hand along the front cover. "The tunnels collapsed and several of the guards died. I found my father at the head of the collapse, surrounded by several raiders that had perished as well. He gave his life to save the community, and his family."

His fingers slid along the ripped spine as he continued. "I wandered afterwards, far enough and long enough to have lost my way. I was picked up by raiders and joined their gang. I repaired their weapons for food. I helped train some of their men in hand to hand combat, the ones that were able to remain calm and were prone to thinking. The leader decided that I was undermining his authority, that I was trying to steal his gang from him. He was wrong, I did not want to lead his gang, I wanted to develop a devout following among his men... and destroy the gang from the inside. He challenged me to a duel. He knew the book, this book, was the reason people were listening to me. He tried to take it during the fight. It ripped and I was able to escape. He has the last third of the book while I retain the first two thirds."

Wrapping the book back into its protective cloth and sliding it into its case, Creed stands to prepare to watch over the group once more. "I have read every word in this book however the missing section is slowly fading from my memories. I fear no man on this earth, but I am afraid of what he has done with the knowledge he has gained from the book. The section he has deals with the use of fire in warfare, and the proper use of spies and saboteurs when infiltrating a city to prepare for the cities downfall before war even begins."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
The first locker put up quite the fight. As she pried at the door, there was a mild tingle, followed almost instantly by a powerful zap.

Asha, D20 Roll please, Adding Dex mod.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2015, 03:26:41 PM »

She cursed loudly, but the door popped open even as she involuntarily threw the crowbar.  A smell of ozone and scorched skin touched the stale air.

Inside the locker was a number of cardboard boxes - batteries, a few tools and a number of what appeared to be specialized electronic components.

Nat 20 on check, partial zap only. 3 hp dmg.

The overhead lights flickered on for a couple of seconds, but then dropped back down to darkness.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Asha

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2015, 02:33:32 AM »
Asha cursed and gave a glowering look to the rest of the lockers, looking over at Doc West. "Happen to have any rubber gloves in your medical kit? I could use them to get around the charge these lockers have."

She gave the locker a quick inspection gesturing to the tools and batteries, "Anything in here you can use Carnegie?"

• Strolenati
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
Carnegie sprang up and seized Asha's hand, stroking the back of it protectingly as she checked for burns. "Are ye alrite?! A-ah didn't know it wuz gonna do dat!"

She eyed the content of the locker. "Mmm, ye... Always. Dis's really weird, de power's out on errythang else, but dese lockers r electrified?... We need ta git de power back on running on de workbench somehow."