Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

Novel Writing Group?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Dossta:
Just posting a quick update.  I've finally found a tool that has gotten me to write every day, without fail.  I'm on Day 52 of consecutive writing, which translates to about 35,000 more words for my second draft.  Passed the 3/4 mark at around 77K words and have just another 20-30K left.

The downside, of course, is that I've had less time to keep up with the Citadel lately.  But I *am* still alive, and still writing :)

Shadoweagle:
What's ya secret, Dossta?

Dossta:

--- Quote from: Shadoweagle on August 12, 2013, 01:29:02 AM ---What's ya secret, Dossta?

--- End quote ---

This: http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoK7WzmhEcBUdE15cmlHdHY3alBrQndURENyS0xVelE#gid=0

It's called the Magic Spreadsheet.  First heard about it on ISBW (a writing podcast), and found that it provides exactly the right kind of motivation for my inner gamer.  You get points for every day you write, based on how long your current chain is.  You level up after about 30 days, and the minimum number of words you need to write to get your full point tally goes up from 250 a day to 300.  At level 3, you need to write 350 a day, etc.  Plus, you can see how everyone else is doing (and they can see how pathetic your word count was last night, too).  I find that the social works really well.

I've hesitated to promote it too much, since the Google doc is getting full enough that there are sometimes significant delays and trouble with processing formulas.  If you're interested, I'd suggest adding yourself to the GPlus sheet (post a note here if it's full -- the moderators will add more tracks upon request).  The creator is apparently working on a database-driven replacement for it, but that's still in alpha.

MysticMoon:

--- Quote from: Dossta on May 29, 2013, 09:13:58 AM ---Anyone here interested in forming a writing group to workshop each others' novels or longer works?  I have gotten a novel about 40% of the way through the second draft but am really starting to need a few other pairs of eyes on it, mostly so I have someone to bounce ideas off of.  Would be happy to trade the favor with anyone else here :)

--- End quote ---

Once I get settled and back in the creative groove, I would love to get in on this. I'm better set up to write than I was several months ago and I have some really really rough ideas I need help on. Not a novel so much as serialized short fiction (short story to novella length work) based around a couple of character and setting concepts I've had in the back of my mind for several years now. Err, 10 years. Ouch.

Dossta:

--- Quote from: MysticMoon on August 14, 2013, 12:30:08 PM ---Once I get settled and back in the creative groove, I would love to get in on this.

--- End quote ---

Always happy to trade longer pieces of work, and I'm glad to see you back on the site!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version