llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Suggestions for a fantasy world modernizing.  (Read 2145 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Tiannaki

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Suggestions for a fantasy world modernizing.
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:37 AM »
So I am putting together a fantasy world that has progressed through the classical phase of d&d and most books. While it begins  to a human dominated world where magic is starting to just be a story and the mystery that percolated the through the forests and mountains of the world has become fear of what is no longer understood. While humans and the few of the more magical races no live in a cutler padded by plenty and riches while they advance in to machines and technology's.

I was thinking of filling the gap between fantasy and steam era/ steam punk worlds and maybe go a different direction then most have.

But I would love any recommendations or suggestion for the world or how writing should be put together in this world.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
Re: Suggestions for a fantasy world modernizing.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
Well depending on your source material, D&D is somewhere in the 14-16th century Europe level of technology. You have steel production, some long-distance sailing, gunpowder muskets if you want to go that way.

If you follow that European model, you'd go into the 16th-18th century European level of technology. You have the Scientific Revolution, Enlightenment, etc. The printing press could make a significant impact on your world. If knowledge of magic is just now disseminating into humanity, tomes on magic and magic research could quickly be widespread. More thinkers, natural philosophers, and the like might delve into how magic works, causing a Magical Revolution of sorts.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Tiannaki

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Re: Suggestions for a fantasy world modernizing
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
The printing press is a brilliant idea I had not thought of that, and it would actually be interesting to see but I think I'm going to try to keep everything away from industry for the most part. On the other hand mechanized weaponry like folding blades, canons, rifles, and things such as a mechanized soldier; which would be a combination of black smithing, clock work and enchantments.
Are things that I have been leaning towards. Sound far fetched or plausible?

Also thank you very much for that advice it was a missing piece in the idea.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
How about magi-tech-tech that works because of magic bound within it? Early magi-tech was dangerous, but  now most of the kinks have been ironed out and it is pretty safe to use most of the time.

Offline Aramax

• Apprentice
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:36:05 AM »
something I did in my D&D game was to introduce a 2nd level Kinetic energy spell ,it started an industrial revolution until other wiz stompped it out
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity