llamaenterhear

Author Topic: What Do You Think of My Character?  (Read 383 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Veretrix

• Apprentice
  • Where's the Mountain Dew!?
    • Awards
What Do You Think of My Character?
« on: December 26, 2015, 12:22:41 AM »
Hey guys!
I know I haven't been active lately, but hopefully that will change since I got a tablet for Christmas and it is less cumbersome than my phone.

Anyways, to the topic at hand. I will be starting a D&D 5e campaign with two of my friends Sunday evening. I am one of the 2 PCs. We are starting at level 3, and I am starting as a level 5 Rogue (Assassin). My race will be Dhampir.

For a back story rundown, she was born a few weeks after her elven mother was bitten by a vampire, and while her husband died defending her, she remained alive to raise my character until age 5, when she was killed in her sleep by the same vampire. Until age 10, she was raised in an orphanage with terrible people (think Grelod from Skyrim). After making plans with other children, she helped murder their caretakers and escaped to a different town, where she lived on the streets for 3 years before being found and taken in by a member of an assassins' guild. Now at age 20, she seeks to find her father so she can get revenge. She also has a debt for the 7 years of asassins' training and general care owed to the guild that she must repay. Her most recent clues of her father's whereabouts will take her to the city of Neverwinter (yes, it is a Forgotten Realms campaign).

Does this seem like a clichéd idea at all, or something that may get stale quickly? More importantly, can an assassin character work well with a Ranger (most likely what the other player will be)? The main issue I see is that I am Lawful Evil and the DM mentioned that they were leaning towards Chaotic Good (yikes). Can this work, since the lawful aspect is merely my personal code of conduct? I also only kill contracts or those who cause me grief or large amounts of trouble.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:56:06 PM by Veretrix »

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Too real.
  • Awards 2013 Newbie of the Year 2013 Best Play By Post Player
    • Awards
Re: What Do You Think of My Character?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »
Why did you link to an empty page?

I'd say the whole Forgotten Realms setting is one big cliché so I wouldn't worry about it.
As long as you don't play selfishly and slavishly you should be fine, sometimes the wants and wishes of a character may differ from that of the party, it's only a problem when those wishes screw the rest of the party over in a way that doesn't make the game fun. Some decisions might warrant some meta discussion (without it turning into a needless conflict) before implementation just to keep things smooth. Like, hey my character is thinking about stabbing the king in the eye and burning down the local orphanage, is that cool with you guys?
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Veretrix

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 06:03:31 PM »
Why did you link to an empty page?

I'd say the whole Forgotten Realms setting is one big cliché so I wouldn't worry about it.
As long as you don't play selfishly and slavishly you should be fine, sometimes the wants and wishes of a character may differ from that of the party, it's only a problem when those wishes screw the rest of the party over in a way that doesn't make the game fun. Some decisions might warrant some meta discussion (without it turning into a needless conflict) before implementation just to keep things smooth. Like, hey my character is thinking about stabbing the king in the eye and burning down the local orphanage, is that cool with you guys?
I'm not sure why the link didn'the work. Oh well, it wasn't that important.
I never realized that Forgotten Realms was that cliche. Maybe that's because I usually make my own world's when I am the DM. My DM did recently read the Drizzt books recently, so maybe he's in a phase of fanboying over the setting. Interesting that the first and only example of a problem situation was burning down an orphanage. Classic evil is evil.
Thanks for the input!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »
Her background does seem a tad cliche but i like the fact that she has "student loans" to pay back the assassin's guild. :)

Well, if you're all going to play your alignments in the spirit intended, LE and CG is indeed a difficult combination to reconcile. A question comes to mind. How did you two get together in the first place? What is the group's background? Just curious. Otherwise, since your self-imposed code calls for murdering only those under contract or those who do you harm, it can work I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:14:38 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
Just because you are LE doesn't mean you are bound to it 100%. That gives you the freedom that your character needs to do things and self justify it. Doesn't mean it is a "I am LE, it means I do this in this circumstance" type thing. You are your character's background with some issues and debt. This will allow you to do your thing.

All said, pick an alignment and ignore it except for spell effects. :) You have a character with a fun background that the DM knows about. Let the character and the game guide your actions and don't so stuck on the label. If the DM puts you in situations where you do things...so be it. Generally alignment won't be a deciding factor of the game I would wager.

And I like your background.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Veretrix

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
Her background does seem a tad cliche but i like the fact that she has "student loans" to pay back the assassin's guild. :)

Well, if you're all going to play your alignments in the spirit intended, LE and CG is indeed a difficult combination to reconcile. A question comes to mind. How did you two get together in the first place? What is the group's background? Just curious. Otherwise, since your self-imposed code calls for murdering only those under contract or those who do you harm, it can work I suppose.
I'm not sure what the other player's background will be. I'll find out at the session tonight. Hopefully he's not a CG zealot type of character.
Just because you are LE doesn't mean you are bound to it 100%. That gives you the freedom that your character needs to do things and self justify it. Doesn't mean it is a "I am LE, it means I do this in this circumstance" type thing. You are your character's background with some issues and debt. This will allow you to do your thing.

All said, pick an alignment and ignore it except for spell effects. :) You have a character with a fun background that the DM knows about. Let the character and the game guide your actions and don't so stuck on the label. If the DM puts you in situations where you do things...so be it. Generally alignment won't be a deciding factor of the game I would wager.

And I like your background.
All those statements are fair. Wouldn't this all be so much easier without alignment? Oh well. As long as I don't broadcast my alignment and make reasonable decisions, I'll probably be okay.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »
So out of curiousity, how did the whole LE/CG dynamic and game itself go? :)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p