llamaenterhear

Author Topic: S.H.I.E.L.D. and Whedon...Good?  (Read 6783 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
S.H.I.E.L.D. and Whedon...Good?
« on: May 18, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:43:35 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. and Whedon...Good?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
I don't know.

I have the feeling this will be a chance for Marvel to dig into their archive of characters who really really need to be left in the archive.

I project one season, then it will be canceled due to high cost relative to its initially high but then falling off ratings
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Dungeon Guild Golden Creator Locations Guild Questor Systems Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
It will be a fun romp, but given the FX budget... I can't see it lasting. 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:20:21 AM »
I am getting used to short runs of good shows. I will take what I can get!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:14:28 AM »
Whedon. That is all I need.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Dungeon Guild Golden Creator Locations Guild Questor Systems Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
Whedon. That is all I need.

As long as it isn't Will Whedon
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
Now that we're well into it, would anyone care to offer a review?

Only saw the first episode, so I don't qualify  :)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

PoisonAlchemist: Man Muro, you boost my confidence and then you just go crush it with a heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Pariah: Don't tell him things like that, if his head gets any bigger he'll float off like a weather ballon :p

Offline MysticMoon

• Progresstinator in training
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Mi serĉas vortojn
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
I only saw the first episode as well. It didn't really grab me. I'll probably wait and only watch more if I hear it gets better.

I didn't identify with the characters and the dialogue seemed forced, which is something I never thought I'd say about anything Joss did.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
I've been keeping up with the series, and while it is in no way bad, it just doesn't deliver. It's somewhere confused between Warehouse 13 dingus of the week and the X-Files with layers of intrigue, but lacking the characters of X-Files or the fun and camp of Warehouse 13. Considering the size and depth of the Marvel roster we get at best some 6th to 7th string 'supers' along with Coulson being Too Cool to do Much and a cast of characters that I still cannot the remember the name of.

Skye, she has the Whedon vibe, but instead of being strong and interesting, she is a hacker slash waffler. I don't like her as a person/character
There are the two eggheads and their names are unimportant because they are functionally siamese twins and you dont see them without them sharing spilling over each other's dialog.
Then there is tough guy
And there is Asian pilot lady/driver person.

I either dislike or don't care about any of the characters.

I want more, and I want to be interested in these people. They are boring, flat, and disinteresting 
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
There are the two eggheads and their names are unimportant because they are functionally siamese twins and you dont see them without them sharing spilling over each other's dialog.
Then there is tough guy
And there is Asian pilot lady/driver person.

LMAO!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »
After having seen other stuff Whedon has done, like Dollhouse, Buffy, he can write better characters than this. It almost feels like his hands are being tied on the matter, like there are some execs or producers who want the show to good, but not too good because they think it might overshadow the films.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »
Anyone still watching this like I am?

The events of Winter Soldier made a big turnaround for this show. The reveal of Grant Ward as a Hydra agent did wonders for the drama and stakes of the show, and gave the actors - Brett Dalton especially - a chance to shine.

Season two started a little rough, but introducing Bobby Morse and Lance Hunter was a great casting move. Putting the Inhumans in play after finally revealing the Coulson resurrection mystery was a good play, and it gave Chloe Bennett a chance to shine as the lead character.

Season three was the strongest yet, for writing, acting, and action. It's a great swansong to Brett Dalton on the show, and although they made a few wrong turns (taking Bobby and Lance off the show for yet another failed pilot was bonkers), the end of the season was beautifully done and has set up season four well.

Current season just started, but we already have Ghost Rider on the show and the potential introduction of magic-ghosty stuff, just in time for Doctor Strange. If you haven't given the show a chance past the first season, I'd encourage you to pick it up again and give it a chance once more. Not the best comic show on television (Supergirl), but a good TV window to the MCU.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Excursions from the Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
Maybe I will come back to this, I lost interest part way through season 1.  What are the best three episodes?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:39:20 PM by axlerowes »

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Varglesprast!
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Golden Creator Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 09:29:43 PM »
Maybe I will come back to this, I lost interest part way through season 1.  What are the best three episodes?
Keeping in mind this is a highly serialized show and things out of order get confusing, my top picks are:
"Beginning of the End (Season 1, episode 22)
"What They Become" (Season 2, episode 10)
"4,722 Hours" (Season 3, episode 5)
There are plenty of other good ones, but that will give you a good taste of the bredth and depth the show's managed to achieve after a slow first half season.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Longspeak

• As Does the Spider, I Weave, Because I Must
  • Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Illegal to Remove this Tag
  • Awards Article Guild Elite Article Guild Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 09:54:37 PM »
Anyone still watching this like I am?

The events of Winter Soldier made a big turnaround for this show. The reveal of Grant Ward as a Hydra agent did wonders for the drama and stakes of the show, and gave the actors - Brett Dalton especially - a chance to shine.

Season two started a little rough, but introducing Bobby Morse and Lance Hunter was a great casting move. Putting the Inhumans in play after finally revealing the Coulson resurrection mystery was a good play, and it gave Chloe Bennett a chance to shine as the lead character.

Season three was the strongest yet, for writing, acting, and action. It's a great swansong to Brett Dalton on the show, and although they made a few wrong turns (taking Bobby and Lance off the show for yet another failed pilot was bonkers), the end of the season was beautifully done and has set up season four well.

Current season just started, but we already have Ghost Rider on the show and the potential introduction of magic-ghosty stuff, just in time for Doctor Strange. If you haven't given the show a chance past the first season, I'd encourage you to pick it up again and give it a chance once more. Not the best comic show on television (Supergirl), but a good TV window to the MCU.

I'm a Whedon fan, and so I watched this out of the gate. But six episodes or so into the first season I bailed. Those episodes and a few later ones were a hard slog.

BUT, my daughter told me to give it another try. She shares many of my tastes, and many of my concerns, but she told me it improves. And she was right. I Netflixed Season one and kept current ever since.

It's a good show, but it takes some time to find its stride.

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 04:51:55 AM »
I have watched every episode, some more than twice, and enjoy the hell out of it. I wish they would do more than one or two episodes for each movie that came out but I can't have everything