Extraneous Voices of Picayune > Tomes and Illusions

S.H.I.E.L.D. and Whedon...Good?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Scrasamax:
After having seen other stuff Whedon has done, like Dollhouse, Buffy, he can write better characters than this. It almost feels like his hands are being tied on the matter, like there are some execs or producers who want the show to good, but not too good because they think it might overshadow the films.

Dozus:
Anyone still watching this like I am?

The events of Winter Soldier made a big turnaround for this show. The reveal of Grant Ward as a Hydra agent did wonders for the drama and stakes of the show, and gave the actors - Brett Dalton especially - a chance to shine.

Season two started a little rough, but introducing Bobby Morse and Lance Hunter was a great casting move. Putting the Inhumans in play after finally revealing the Coulson resurrection mystery was a good play, and it gave Chloe Bennett a chance to shine as the lead character.

Season three was the strongest yet, for writing, acting, and action. It's a great swansong to Brett Dalton on the show, and although they made a few wrong turns (taking Bobby and Lance off the show for yet another failed pilot was bonkers), the end of the season was beautifully done and has set up season four well.

Current season just started, but we already have Ghost Rider on the show and the potential introduction of magic-ghosty stuff, just in time for Doctor Strange. If you haven't given the show a chance past the first season, I'd encourage you to pick it up again and give it a chance once more. Not the best comic show on television (Supergirl), but a good TV window to the MCU.

axlerowes:
Maybe I will come back to this, I lost interest part way through season 1.  What are the best three episodes?

Dozus:

--- Quote from: axlerowes on October 11, 2016, 06:37:19 PM ---Maybe I will come back to this, I lost interest part way through season 1.  What are the best three episodes?

--- End quote ---
Keeping in mind this is a highly serialized show and things out of order get confusing, my top picks are:
"Beginning of the End (Season 1, episode 22)
"What They Become" (Season 2, episode 10)
"4,722 Hours" (Season 3, episode 5)
There are plenty of other good ones, but that will give you a good taste of the bredth and depth the show's managed to achieve after a slow first half season.

Longspeak:

--- Quote from: Dozus on October 11, 2016, 09:23:11 AM ---Anyone still watching this like I am?

The events of Winter Soldier made a big turnaround for this show. The reveal of Grant Ward as a Hydra agent did wonders for the drama and stakes of the show, and gave the actors - Brett Dalton especially - a chance to shine.

Season two started a little rough, but introducing Bobby Morse and Lance Hunter was a great casting move. Putting the Inhumans in play after finally revealing the Coulson resurrection mystery was a good play, and it gave Chloe Bennett a chance to shine as the lead character.

Season three was the strongest yet, for writing, acting, and action. It's a great swansong to Brett Dalton on the show, and although they made a few wrong turns (taking Bobby and Lance off the show for yet another failed pilot was bonkers), the end of the season was beautifully done and has set up season four well.

Current season just started, but we already have Ghost Rider on the show and the potential introduction of magic-ghosty stuff, just in time for Doctor Strange. If you haven't given the show a chance past the first season, I'd encourage you to pick it up again and give it a chance once more. Not the best comic show on television (Supergirl), but a good TV window to the MCU.

--- End quote ---

I'm a Whedon fan, and so I watched this out of the gate. But six episodes or so into the first season I bailed. Those episodes and a few later ones were a hard slog.

BUT, my daughter told me to give it another try. She shares many of my tastes, and many of my concerns, but she told me it improves. And she was right. I Netflixed Season one and kept current ever since.

It's a good show, but it takes some time to find its stride.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version