llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The not so-dreaded monster of the deep  (Read 1130 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
The not so-dreaded monster of the deep
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
I have an idea for a dangerous and monstrous looking type of sea-monster that is regarded as being a dangerous beast that preys on human flesh. The truth is more prosaic. It is a fairly harmless creature that actually preys on fish and other small aquatic animals. What's more, it also reduces the population of more aesthetically pleasing    but also infinitely  more dangerous types of ocean dwelling denizens like certain types of  mermaids by preying on their young or eggs. It has been persecuted horrifically because of its reputation and is close to extinction in most waters where it once existed.   What's more, it is also slaughtered  because some of its organs are supposed to be valuable in certain types of potions. Is this something that anyone would care to read? Thanks.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: The not so-dreaded monster of the deep
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »
Misunderstood creatures always make for good reading. Carry on, Mag!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Forganthus

• Apprentice
  • DM, Biochemist, and Boxer.
  • Awards Golden Creator 2013 Plot of the Year 2012 Plot of the Year 2013 Sub of the Year Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
Is it a shark?
"Can I use a repair check to strap the trash can to my head?"

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
Is it a shark?

More of a slimy, squid-like thing actually, expect that it also has some amphibian physiology.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:50:32 PM »
I like it.

Offline Bumblor

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »
It could make a great story if told right. I'd start by making them seem horrific, some salty old sailor telling his young charges about the vicious squid beastie. Show one being hunted and killed, then the celebration after. Then cut to the squid beasties family mourning the loss of poor uncle Squidward

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
Maybe it looks like some sort of mini Kraken.