Idea Guild > Greetings Traveler

Important Tip for Beginners

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dozus:
Ugh, hate it.

I write between home and work, so I keep a flash drive with a folder just for Citadel submissions. I suppose it could happen that I'd lose the drive, but that's happened far less frequently than a bad connection or browser shutdown that makes me lose my work.

Gossamer:

--- Quote from: Shadoweagle on March 10, 2013, 04:56:17 PM ---Yah, we have all been there! I've lost hours of work to that kind of horror before, and when you rewrite it, it never seems quite as good.

--- End quote ---

>.< Ugh, yeah. I've made some attempts to rewrite it now and it's just horrible! From a 10 down to a -300. I don't even want to rewrite it.
I was going to do a piece on what to do when your players treat your Npcs like, well...Npcs. But now I just...ugh. I want to do something else but it feels like everything has been done allready, not feeling very creative atm. I can't think of an original cult/religion idea, so no chance of that. I might post an old dice generator that I've used a lot in the past, once I clean it up.

Shadoweagle:
Don't be discouraged, sir!

one of the best ways to get creative juices oozing is to catch someone in the full chatroom and bounce ideas off of them. A second perspective is a great tool! If you manage to catch murometz, he is especially useful with his 20 question style!

Dossta:

--- Quote from: Gossamer on March 16, 2013, 03:38:01 PM ---I can't think of an original cult/religion idea, so no chance of that.

--- End quote ---

This quest is pretty open, actually -- you don't have to write about a religion or cult if you don't want to.  A single deity, a whole pantheon, a mystical artifact connected with a religion, or even a religious order or NPC would all work.  If you need inspiration, take a look at some of the Small Gods or Placeholder Gods.  And if you haven't yet seen Mathom, Othamm, or The God of Small Things yet then you should take a look -- they are practically memes around here.

Wulfhere:
Anohter important tip:  Before using a name, Google it.  It can be very discouraging to discover that your character/place/item/etc. accidentally shares the name of a well-known fantasy character/place/item/etc.  As an example of how names can go wrong, some poor guy submitted a villain named "Elric" in Paizo's "RPG Superstar" competition a few years back.  He had never read or heard of the famous Michael Moorcock character.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version