Imagine this for instance, what I consider a cooler premise for a low powered superish tv series:
A TV-series focusing on Aneksi, a woman born in a village that would 2600 years later be known as Alexandria, under the rule of Pharao Hor-Den of the First Dynasty. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_(pharaoh)
Aneksi was cursed by a priestess and she would never die, never find peace. At the end of each lifetime, she is reincarnated - or rather, her soul possess a new body of someone just turned 20.
She has lived myriad lives, among others:
- Her first life as a prostitute in a hut by the Nile, which ended with her being lynched by an enraged mob
- Her life as the concubine of Tuth-ank-Amon, which ended when he died
- Her life as a huntress by Lake Victoria, which ended with the raid of another tribe
- Her life as a shaman, and mother of twelve in Congo
- Her life as a librarian in the Great Library of Alexandria, which ended with her as a slave in the fields of ancient Greece
- Her life in Carthage during the Punic Wars
- Her life as a student on the island of Lesbos
- Her life as Theodora, the wife of Justinian
- Her two lives as a female Shaolin Monk
- Her life as a marketplace vendor in ancient Shanghai, which ended when a thief killed her as she carted her merchandise home
- Her life as a Princess in Arabia
- Her life on the Silk Road as a spice merchant
- Her life in Paris under Pippin the Younger and Charlemagne, which ended as she fought the Musselman invaders
- Her life in Rome and Florence during the reign of Innocent VIII, where she also met the Borgia Pope, Alexander VI. Her life ended during the reign of Paul III.
- Her life in Portugal as a fisherwoman
- Her life London, during the Industrial Revolution
- Her life as an opium addict in China during the 1800's
- Her life in Berlin, where she spent her entire life in an insane asylum as she tried to tell a friend of her eternal life.
- Her life on the frostbitten Finnish Front, during the second world war - where she died violently as she was raped by Russian troops.
- Her life as a drug addict street prostitute in Los Angeles during the seventies and early eighties
- Her current life as computer expert and high level executive of a corporation based on Manhattan
She is almost 5000 years old, but early in this lifecycle she began having vivid dreams of a means of breaking her curse. Her mother has begun invading her dreams, speaking ancient egyptian, telling her of the artifacts of the visitors - one of which the ancient priestess used to curse her.
Her latter lives have all been marked with despair, with resignation and drug abuse, and she has been spiraling downwards for two centuries. But these dreams have filled her with hope, and she has begun researching what these artifacts are, and how they can be used to help her escape eternity.
Her power is her reincarnation, other than that she is human, though she has the memories of hundreds of lives. She knows how to barter, how to fish, how to sew, how to satisfy men, kung-fu, meditation, massage, even hacking. She is the femme fatale MacGyver. But she is still human, and she has experienced death hundreds of times. She also knows the dark lure of drugs, which are her main weakness.
The series would introduce elements of mysticism and hint of alien visitors (though not go full X-files on the viewer). More like the search of remnants left behind, and in particular of the rod of the Priestess who cursed her.
Her powers would be a cool side-effect, but also the very thing she is trying to rid herself off. The series would revolve around the protagonist, how she copes with the world and give flashbacks to her previous lives, and also feature some Indiana Jonesish expeditions around the world.
Season 1 would end with her death, and thus the lead actress would change at random intervals (and their salary demands not get too high :p )
IMO better than clob, kill, beam, gargh.
- When she discuss history with an academic, and he arrogantly and in a ridiculing manner, dismiss her claims while citing this or that professor and book.
- When her hands begin trembling, and she needs to hold on to something, as she is in a location she has been before, in which she died or experienced something terrifying (for instance a medieval siege or the murder of her children)
- When she discovers that the cursing priestess is also alive, and has been reincarnating in the same manner as her... But she knows where the rod, and source of their eternity is
- When she remembers waking up for the first time in a new body, and has to learn where she is, and who she is this time.
- When she encounters relatives from her previous life, or even a descendant of some life a long, long time ago (aristocracy is easy to track).
- When she astounds someone by knowing of secrets within their home. Secrets not even they knew - like old family ledgers or hidden passageways or graves or whatnot
- When she herself is surprised by assassins sent by her nemesis to stop her from retrieving the rod, and she dies.
- When she encounters the exact doppleganger of someone she knew a thousand years ago, and he even talks and acts in the same manner.
- When she displays elite martial arts skills and surprises everyone who thought she was just a pretty geek girl