llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Decathros] Chapter 1: Sinking in Soglash  (Read 7554 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Online EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Elite Questor
    • Awards
Re: [Decathros] Chapter 1: Sinking in Soglash
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
"He should be waking up any moment - my magic made him just think a lot, in little time. Certainly not an everyday chore for this fellow, hence the blissfully absent expression. My suggestion - shake forcibly and educationally, apply copious water, slap both cheeks, ask to your heart's content. Once we learn all we need, I would dispose of this one. There's little wisdom in having a crazed cultist who knows your face live."

Aredhel turned around: "Excuse me, I am under-dressed for the occasion." And he went to do so. Carus stayed behind, smiling as much as a raven can, and pecking the younger brigand's ear at times.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
"I seek no part in murder of a defeated foeman, be he cultist or no" opined Korchel.  "I have seen what happens to the souls of those who slay without need.  Dark deeds draw fuel from the soul, leaving the slayer to taste bitter ash when their life's fires gutter in old age."

Drawing a rope and an unlit torch from his satchel, Korchel stepped into the chamber and hastily lashed Marduc's arms behind him.  An eldritch word set the brand alight as he studied the face of the unconscious cultist, watching from inches away for the first signs of wakefulness.  As he waited, his quiet muttering filled with scorn.  "Foolish children of bare 20-odd winters, yet in a fit of despair you would let yourselves become the tools of those seeking to end all things?  I should burn you, just to remind you that your end would already come too soon."

Looking across at the captured cultist, the dwarf's hard eyes gleamed in the torch's light.  "While he may be little more than another blunt tool for these 'Originators', we shall see what secrets this 'Marduc' has to share with us.  Child of despair, you will keep your prattling tongue silent while we speak.  Should you speak out of turn, you shall surely learn a new lesson about endings."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:23:13 AM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
Atacuso studied the room intently; and the hallway out the door besides. Nonetheless, this place had nothing more to reveal, and dispite his considerable skill, the cutthroat's shadow was completely untrackable. "I don' see any'tin which kin tell us where dat shadow went off to!" The half elven tracker shrugged.

As Aredhel left to suit himself up properly in his own adjacent room, Korchel leaned closely into Marduc, studying his slumbering face intently. Helgkhor moved in as well and lifted the unconscious cultist up, propping him seated against the wall while the dwarf admonished Balic and offered him a warning to the wise to hold their tongues.

Just as Helgkhor raised his arm to offer Marduc a rousing slap, the man's eyes opened slowly, squinting as though the weak lantern light was as bright as the sun, "Argh...!" Marduc spat weakly, a trail of blood dripping down his chin - The barbarians handiwork was showing, "My head!"

The cutthroat quickly snapped back to attention however, as he realized his situation, and his expression turned from confused to sour - ripe with a sickening anger, "Gods... Balic, you rot-ridden parasite!! You were supposed to tie the d**ned oaf up!" Balic's eyes widened, then glowered in fury - he HAD tied the barbarian; the wormy rope which Marduc supplied was simply too weak! But heeding the Dwarf's words, he said nothing.
Marduc sighed heavily and started to raise his hand to wipe the blood off his chin but realized his hands were tied. Also, seeing Korchel, Helgkhor and Atacuso tense up, he paused and stopped resisting. "Well, this was a massive failure, wasn't it?" His voice oozed with hate and derision. "I assume you have questions?"

"Let's start with where yer shadow is, child." Korchel intoned quietly, his gaze never faltering from the cutthroat.
"Aah, you noticed that, did you?" Marduc laughed, "Yes, Balic wouldn't have known - I bet he was surprised! I have sent it on an errand." The man chuckled and shifted in his seat, "Yes, I can feel where it is, now; it should be nearly at our master. Athor will be very interested to know what has happened here, and who you all are."

Helgkhor stepped in at this point, resting an arm on the wall next to Marduc and leaning in close. "That man there said that you were taking the lady southwest." The barbarian nodded his head to Balic, "Where did you send her?"

Malic was unintimidated by the massive man's bulging arm next to him. "Aaah, I see Balic wasn't completely useless!" He smiled coldly at the sight of the blood-stained linens wrapped around Helgkhor's tricep. "Yes, we were told to send her to Vartanadel. Only Athor knows exactly where to. He wouldn't share that information with us in case..." He shrugged, "Well, in case this happened. Makes sense to me, though; It's no secret that the Vartans hold no love for Saulkement or the spiked sea - after all, the nobles of the isles are refugees from there! I guess someone just wanted to pay them back!"

Atacuso had a question too - "So yer shadow; all it kinn do is run around for yeh?" Marduc nodded at this, "Simple errands. I can use it to keep myself and some others a bit better hidden. But it cannot actually touch or move anything."
"And what about this 'Order of the Originators' thing? Lookin' to end the world?" Marduc's eyes widened at this question, and he laughed once more, "Aah, you simple minded fools! Why would we want to end the world? Is that what Balic told you?" The cutthroat shook his head, "No, you will not get that answer from me. Death and pain hold no fear to me." The man showed his teeth - bloodied and broken - in an infuriating grin.

At this point Aredhel walked back into the room, fully clothed. He had heard most of the conversation and nodded to the group. "What's the next move, then? And what should we do with this scoundrel and his missing shadow? If we don't do something to stop it, this 'Athor' fellow will know of us. That puts us at a disadvantage!"
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »
Atacuso shrugged. "Kill de man, kill his shadow, eh?" He brought the tip of his halberd again to Marduc's neck. "We ain' gonna get more outta him. Leastwise we can do is stop his black medicine. He can't send his shade about widout breat in him?" The half-elf looked to Korchel for some confirmation, the halberd's spike wavering inches away from its target.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
The dwarven mystic stared at Marduc, his flickering torch held inches above the man’s youthful, sweat-grimed face.  "So… you're not afraid of death, nor pain... They all claim that, or so I’ve heard.  Then the pain starts to fill their world, reaching into their soul until they hunger and yearn for it to end.” 

While Balic shuddered, slowly creeping away, Marduc seemed unmoved by the dwarf’s ominous words.  His eyes met Korchel’s without any of the superstitious fear others reserved for sorcerers.  Clearly, this man was a different sort altogether, a true fanatic.  Cracking him would not be an easy task.   

“Perhaps you truly don’t fear pain.  No matter:  There are darker fates that a man can meet." Korchel whispered.

The bound cultist hissed a sneering response. "Yes, there ARE darker fates. You will learn that before long."

This was getting them nowhere, thought Korchel.  His threats just didn’t seem to concern this man. Perhaps playing on the cultist’s smug arrogance would yield more information.  "Really? Share your knowledge with us, then. I came here for a handful of coin. Convince me of your path's wisdom and you may yet leave here free and unharmed.  These fellows and I will know the flicker of truth when its flame rises before us."

The cultist continued on as if he hadn’t heard the dwarf’s words. "In the end, I will walk free, anyway. The Originators will acknowledge my commitment and see fit to bring me back!"

"Your powers have already earned our respect. Share your wisdom, then, and let us end this foolish brawling."

Marduc grinned at Korchel’s questioning. "How can you grasp the knowledge of the Originators, you are just a Dwarf!"  His words oozed with distaste.  Then his eyes lit up, "My shadow stalks my master's halls, Dwarf."

Korchel’s eyes glowed red with fury at the cultist's contemptuous words.  Grabbing the man’s arm, he roughly yanked him to his feet.  "You would speak so to a reader of the flame?  I am no mere dwarf, but bear the curse of the dragon augurs.  The fiery death of worlds walks through my dreams and undying embers sing in my mind.  Your arrogance is at an end!”  Slamming the cultist roughly against the chamber’s open window frame, the furious dwarf drew a flask from his pocket.  Drawing its cork out between his teeth, he began to douse Marduc with its oily contents.  "Bid your master farewell, then, for your shade will be all that is left of you."  Looking over toward Helgkhor, Korchel sought his aid.  “Barbarian, after I set him alight, get his leg. Out the window with him!"

As Korchel poured the oil, the cutthroat began frothing at the mouth with fanatical fury. "BURN WITH ALL YOUR KIND, you filthy dwarf! The originators will rise again and WE WILL BE THE ONES TO WAKE THEM! You think this fire will burn me!?" Marduc suddenly lunged toward Korchel's torch, laughing maniacally. "This is nothing compared to the ash which will remain when they wake! I WILL BE REBORN!" Within seconds, Marduc was enveloped in flame, his laughter heard over the crackling of skin and clothing.

Worried that the burning fanatic would ignite the whole room, Korchel ineffectually kicked at him, trying to shove the man’s thrashing form out the window.  Suddenly Helgkhor strode forward, grabbing the burning cultist.  With a mighty heave, the burning man was flung through the window, splashing into the water below. 

Helgkhor and Korchel leaned out of the window, peering at the waters below.  After a few seconds, they saw the cultist’s blackened body rise to the surface, immobile and face down. Marduc the cultist was truly dead.  A grim look crossed Korchel’s features.

“Curse it!  That was a new rope,” he muttered.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:18:46 PM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Online EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 07:34:22 AM »
"Congratulations on not having to have a part in a defeated foeman's murder" Aredhel came in just to witness the end of the spectacle and raised one eyebrow.
"At least we have learned valuable information and he did not have the time to warn his master - no? Oh. I see."

It was quite obvious why dwarves so rarely got along well with his kind. "Wisdom lies in harmony of thought, word and deed. And, a thought should precede word and deed as well. Next time, do so."

He then turned to Helgkhor: "The choice is yours now - when do we depart, and where to? To the dark master's lair, or to hunt the Favorim? We know little about her whereabouts, but confronting her captor may shed light on his designs, and therefore on her place of imprisonment as well, so my suggestion is clear."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:11:44 AM by EchoMirage »
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »
"Judge if you will, elf, but the arrogant fool condemned himself with his own words.  I would not have sought his death had he not proven himself yet capable of bringing us harm," muttered Korchel.  "Furthermore, I would have spared him had he shown a shred of remorse or the desire to yield to justice.  Instead, this... Assassin vainly boasted that he would bring our doom."  The dwarf paused to spit out the window, spattering the floating corpse.  "I also doubt any warning of substance reached his master, since the fool's death followed close on the heels of his shadow's arrival.  The madman would have had precious little time to share his knowledge.  His master surely knows that someone be on his trail, but if he did not already realize that, he's more a fool than his idiotic follower."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:38:19 AM by Wulfhere »
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
Atacuso hefted his halberd and gave Korchel a rough pat on the shoulder. "He needed killin," he said assuredly, and added with a glance at Aredhel, "Dere was plenty of thinking done already. De time to act is come."

"Being we don' know where de Favorite is, I say we find dese shadowmen and deal wit dem first."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Online EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »
Aredhel gave Atacuso a friendly nod, and explained matter-of-factually:
"I was not chiding him for killing the bandit - if you recall my previous advice. I was chiding him for first being boisterous about his moral superiority, and then having to light the cultist on fire - after he gave away information, mind you - instead of stabbing the poor sod through the eye while he was unconscious, as I would have done."

Then, the elf pointed to his bag. "In one facet of many, you are right though. I am packed. We can leave anytime you're ready."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:53:29 AM by EchoMirage »

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 12:26:25 PM »
Helgkhor examines a bubbling burn along his arm before speaking. He then tries his own brand of barbarian logic...

"It matters not, as the dwarf says, what the burning fool or his shadow told its master. They knew someone would be come after them...as soon as they kidnapped the Favorim. So now they know we are coming for sure. And come we will. And keep coming. And they will know fear. And shrivel like cocks in winter. And make mistakes..."

The episode with Marduc and Korchel has lit a fire under Helgkhor, so to speak. He seems focused now and bubbling with intent, past his initial confusions.

He ignores Korchel and Aredhel's arguing about Marduc's (un)timely demise. Banting words about is not for him.

"The choice is yours now - when do we depart, and where to? To the dark master's lair, or to hunt the Favorim? We know little about her whereabouts, but confronting her captor may shed light on his designs, and therefore on her place of imprisonment as well, so my suggestion is clear."

"Being we don' know where de Favorite is, I say we find dese shadowmen and deal wit dem first."

"We depart--now. We have no time to waste." He answers and nods. "Yes. You are right. We know not where the Favorim is, so we will find out from this Athor." He looks about at his new companions. "We can make along the coast in a boat. It would be faster, I think, then sloshing through these sinking lands."

With that Helgkhor finishes re-equipping himself, dons his cloak and cowl (the cowl for two reasons, one--Helgkhor knows his face is disturbing to most, and avoids showing it when he can avoid it and two--he detests bright light as it hurts his pink-red albino eyes) and heads downstairs.

Approaching Olluc at the bar with purpose, Helgkhor drops several coins on the counter. Coins Rachel the Fifth had given him to help in the hunt.

"We need a fast boat, and a map of the area. And anything you may know about an abandoned temple not far from here---"

"Tell me, how many of these coins will it take?" He waits, towering over the barkeep. He doesn't bother mentioning that a burning man flew down into the muck below, from an upstairs window only moments ago.

OOC: btw, how did Marduc, Balic, and co. get me into the room upstairs in the first place? Did they drag my giant body through the taproom, past Olluc, and pull me upstairs with superhuman strength? Just curious, if i can even trust Olluc :)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:35:07 PM by Murometz »
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »
(Ooc: so paranoid, Muro...! I like that. But Olluc is innocent! Marduc is (was) able to use his talents to partially hide their actions. Olluc saw them go up, but did not realize what they carried. It took three men to carry you. A new post will be made tonight, and I'll fast forward you all out of this tavern! If you have any more business in The Sodden Sailor, make it before my post! :p Onwards, says I!)

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 12:29:30 AM »
Olluc gasped in surprise as the companions made their way back downstairs with two new fellows: A Young, unkempt man in black garments, his head bowed and hands tied firmly behind his back, and an enormous, muscled bulk of a man. At the sight of the latter fellow Cassa, the young serving girl, gave a little squeak and scurried back behind the bar, keeping Olluc between her and him - this one looked dangerous! The old bard had stopped torturing his Rebec for some moments as he kept a wary eye on the group, but with a wave and an angry frown from Olluc, he started murdering his next song.

Olluc gave a smile at the party and a brief clap, understanding the situation. "And yeh would be the captive, so bravely freed, Ah take it?" Helgkhor nodded and Aredhel came forth, pushing the black garbed fellow before him none-too-gently, "Friend Olluc, it would seem that this fellow here decided your establishment would be a suitable place to hold a hostage. Thus, I leave him to you, to re-educate him as you see fit. There WAS another, but he was... removed from the room." Balic's face whitened at this and Aredhel paused, giving a glance to Korchel, "None too tidily, I might add. But fear not; no damage has been sustained to your Inn!" Korchel huffed, but said nothing at this time to fuel the flames of an argument. This was no time to bicker amongst one another.

"I see. Cassa, fetch me some of my good rope, would you? Second chest out the back!" The girl gave a nod at this request and with a giggle ran out into the back room. "Yes," Olluc continued, "I think I know just what to do with him. As for you three," Olluc pointed out Atacuso, Korchel and Aredhel with a gnarled finger, "I owe yeh all my thanks, and some gold besides!" Plucking a well concealed purse from a fold in his tunic, Olluc counted out fifteen pieces of gold and split them between into three piles of five on the counter, "As a thank yeh, for fixing this little problem! And consider yourselves welcome to a room here any time yeh want it, no cost! As for YOu..." Olluc turned to face Helgkhor, "I d'know who yeh are, but next time yeh choose to be brained by thugs, try not to let 'em drag you into my tavern, hun'h?"

Cassa returned at this time and passed a coiled bundle of rope to Olluc, who smiled fatherly at the girl and placed it on the counter before him. He listened to Helgkhor and his questions (chuckling when the barbarian asked for a map of Soglash) and nodded with a reply, "I d'know about a fast boat, but yeh can borrow meh dinghy; she be tied up on the beam just b'low the tavern, y'see? As for a map?" Olluc chuckled once more and glanced at Cassa, who also had a large smile on her face, "Son, Yeh be in Soglash! No map of this town will be worth it's weight in gull-s**t within a month of drawing it! This place do be changing as fast and often as the tide." Olluc stopped his laughter at Helgkhor's hurt expression and he shrugged apologetically, "Aye mean no disrespect to yeh, m'lad - t'is just the way of the place. Now, as for a temple, I think Aye know what yeh be wanting. There be an old abandoned chapel to the east of here. A boat would be best to get there, yes; and if you sail no more than fifteen minutes yeh will see it sticking up against the coastline. Yeh can't miss it, son; y'see, it's the only thing in miles that's made of stone, rather than bloody timber! It is not a big thing; probably only holding three or four rooms, and as far as I knew it were abandoned some decades ago by some churchey religion thing. Came to save Soglash, they did!" Olluc guffawed loudly, "HAH! Soglash swallowed 'em whole! HAHAH!"

Olluc Ruse pulled three of the chunky gold coins which Helgkhor had placed down and stored them under the counter, "If yeh return me dinghy, you can reclaim all of your coin." He then picked up the rope and limped out from behind the counter, giving a friendly smile to the group, "Yeh best be off'n then, lads. I have to teach someone something about picking your place of mischief more wisely!" Cassa caught Korchel's eye, and blew the old dwarf a sneaky kiss as the owner of The Sodden Sailor ushered the group out the door then turned to Balic with a menacing smile, "Now, me boy. Shall we talk?"

_________________________________________________ ________________________

Korchel, Atacuso, Aredhel and Helgkhor made their way off the wooden walkway outside of Ruses Boozes, down a set of rotting stairs to a muddy little patch of earth beside the water, below the tavern where the bottom of the building could be seen. There rested a dinghy, tied to one of the support beams and bobbing in the water. It was a sorry looking boat, worn and faded from years of use, but it looked like it would easily hold the four. In it lay an oar and a long wooden rod used for pushing the boat away from debris and rock (Of which there was much in the shallows of Soglash.) Helgkhor chose the oar, his physique suited for a fast paddle, and Atacuso offered to take the rod, remaining standing in the boat his keen senses and good balance valuable in aiding the boat in it's course by dodging potential hazards. Korchel and Aredhel sat to one side of the Dinghy, their contempt of one another had now subsided as they put their tempers aside for the moment. As Atacuso and Helgkhor pushed off, guiding the boat from under The Sodden Sailor, A sudden sound of cranking and gears grinding was heard from above. Aredhel smiled - he knew that sound. Seconds later, a trap-door swung open downwards and a figure fell through, screaming in terror and falling halfway to the water before suddenly stopping. The figure was upside down, a rope tied to his legs and a hessian bag wrapped around his head. It was Balic. He continued screaming, his form wriggling uselessly as he hung suspended. From above, inside the trapdoor, sparse laughter could be heard, and Olluc's voice boomed down, "Why don't yeh hang around awhile, son!?" The laughter re-doubled.

The journey in the boat was uneventful, yet at the same time colorful. From this vantage point along the misty shores at night-time, Soglash could be seen in all it's glory. A massive wreckage of wood and rot and rusty iron. Though it was late, firelights could be seen often moving around in the dark. The occasional voice called, and the odd clang of iron-on-iron could be heard. The company heard one blood-curdling scream before silence reigned once more. Yes, Soglash was alive at night. The city writhed.

Occasionally a splash could be heard near them in the water, and although it was most likely fish the companions' minds, filled with thoughts of spooks and horrors, imagined terrors from the deep waiting to pull them below.

Finally the chapel found it's place on the horizon, and the occupants of the dinghy relaxed a little; they had made it! Atacuso guided the boat to the shoreline and the companions jumped out and slogged the final couple meters to shore. Helgkhor tied the dinghy securely on a piece of jutting timber, lodged into the ground.

Soglash Chapel

The stone structure stood before them in all it's glory. Although it wasn't a massive building, it was diminuitive. The left side of the chapel was adjacent to the shore, and small waves lapped against the stone. The one entrance was visible before them, the doors closed. Dispite it's supposed abandonment, a faint light could be seen through the windows, flickering - firelight. Atacuso glanced between all the members of the party, a brow raised, "Thoughts?"

Offline Wulfhere

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 04:53:52 AM »
Korchel considered the firelit windows for a moment, then answered.  "Arrogance fills the hearts of these shadowy cultists, but they surely be not entirely foolish.  The main entrance and any other easy access points will bear some protection against intrusion, but whichever path is favored by the cultists won't have anything deadly.  Another exit also seems likely, a second path from which they may strike or retreat if they choose.  Also, be wary of the tower, for all that it seems empty."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »
Atacuso nodded slowly, looking over the stonework. "Where you suppose dey put a second door?" His head bobbed back and forth, weighing options. "We ain' find it, we might could make a hole. Dose windows have glass in dem?" He peered through the darkness to get a better look.

(OOC: Perception check roll to check out the windows, and anything else on the building: Dozus rolls 1d20 and gets 15.)

"You tink dey have de foretought of posting guards?" He pointed up to the walkway beside the tower. "Might could climb up dere, if we keep real quiet."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:20:02 PM by Dozus »

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Online EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
"I would suggest to try and catch one cultist alone - I can befriend him quite swiftly. A guard, or such, if you point him out to me while he is still unaware and calm, that would be best. We also can pick of lone stragglers with arrows" he patted his crossbow, and the pulleys of his own design. "I certainly would prefer finding a 'friend', though."

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
Helgkhor stares at the forlorn edifice, his eyes taking in all of the doorways, windows, ledges, and contours. "No doubt there will be more shadow-sorcery to deal with in there" he opines.

"I can climb up there if need be..." he offers gesturing toward the tower.

He nods solemnly at his companions suggestions, then states plainly "Dwarves know the best ways, when it comes to buildings. They can speak with the stone. What say you Korchel?" He glances at the dwarf.
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
(ooc: perception check for Atacuso, success!)

The half elf's keen eyes scan over the building as the half elf paces back and forth, taking in as many details as possible. It appeared that the chapel held three stories: the ground floor had three windows with glazed glass visible, although bars were securely fastened into the masonry, restricting access through them. There was light inside but no movement could be seen. The second floors windows were un-barred however. The glazed glass restricted any clear view of the inside, but the half elf could spot shadows moving in front of firelight: someone was on the second floor. The third floor held a small tower and a ledge in open air. From this vantage, Atacuso could see that the doorway from the ledge into that tower was open. There were no lights in the turret; it was dark and still.

In a moment of inspiration, the hardy swamp elf decided to take a closer look at the wall of the chapel which touched the water. There was no windows on the side, but... There! Down at the base, half hidden by overgrown hanging vines along the stones was an old stone archway, the entrance half submerged by the sea water. It appeared to be an old aqueduct or drainage tunnel, and although anyone trying to access it would have to wade through waist deep, muddy water, it was easily large enough for even Helgkhor to comfortably stand in.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
Atacuso quietly clicked his tongue at the glazed glass. "Too much noise going in dat way," he muttered. He considered the climb up to the third story. "Dat top tower'll be a pain to climb, but she's quiet, at least." When he spied the half-sunken archway, his eyes lit up.

"Look dere!" he whispered, pointing. "Bet dat's the backdoor you said of, eh?" He scratched a biting gnat from his forehead, looking at the potential entryways. "So which way we go den, eh? Dat pipeway, de top turret, or we jus' wanna knock an' hope dey like our faces?"

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »
And so the plan was quickly hashed out.

Helgkhor watches stoically, as Korchel and Aredhel approach the main door of the manse, while next to him, Atacuso prepares to toss his grappling hook from the shadows. The albino giant stretches his muscles silently and waits. He is ready.
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »
Atacuso gauged the height of the tower and pulled a length of rope out. The tower was tall, but he had a fair arm for this sort of thing. With a steady swing, he spun the grapnel from its rope. The tool hummed rhytmically through the damp night air before he released it, sending it flying up toward the tower window. He tugged the rope down at the last minute, hoping to catch the sill firmly - and quietly.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »
Atacuso's grapple flew upwards to the top ledge of the roof. It landed with a muffled 'thunk', and as he tugged it, the group held their breath. the half-elf exhaled as he felt the grapple catch hold of the edge, and the rest of the group released a breath a second later when they heard no sounds of alarm. "Dat went well, hunh?" The swynnish man smiled and gave the rope one last strong tug as a precaution - it held firmly.

"Let's start climbing then!" Helgkhor wanted to get moving, and he waved a hand to Korchel and Aredhel, signalling them to start their distractions. "Alright, lad," korchel nodded grimly to Aredhel, "We be two souls just arrived in Soglash. We're lost and need directions." the dwarf repeated the afore worked out plan to Aredhel.
"An elf and a dwarf travelling to Soglash together. Nothing odd about that, no sir." Aredhel uttered sarcastically. Nevertheless, he supposed there were worse plans; the place still looked like a church or chapel, and it would be reasonable to assume that people would seek help from holy men.
The two spellcasters walked up to the door - Korchel's eyes were keen for potential traps or tripwires but the pathway ahead was clear and the door itself seemed plain. The dwarf raised his voice to a near yell and pulled up his axe to knock away at the door loudly with it, "I SAY, HELLO!? CAN YE HELP US er..." Korchel's shouting paused, as his first heavy hammering on the door caused it to swing inwards with a faint 'Creaaaak...!' revealing a very short stone corridoor of four meters leading into a large main chamber - perhaps a prayer room? There were no signs on movement inside. Korchel and Aredhel peered inside for a moment without entering, then looked at each other. Nobody came to check on the sound. In fact, no sound could be heard at all in the chapel.

"Change of plan!" Korchel spoke quietly to Aredhel, "You know Soglash a bit? What's a good Thieves guild or something we can be?" The elven Wizard thought for a moment, then nodded, "I see where you're going. 'Holgett's Mask' would be a good one; it's a Pirate clan around here; fairly large so nobody would know all the members, and also quite feared, I believe! Holgett is very ruthless and territorial and this chapel lays just outside his territory!"
"ARRGH!" Korchel suddenly yelled hoarsely, back in character - actually causing The elf to take a half-step back, "WE KNOW YE BE UP THERE, LADS! HOLGETT HAS SENT US TO TALK TO YEH! COME DOWN OR SUFFER HIS FURY!!"

Aredhel took one hand to his forehead and shook his head, grimacing.

_________________________________________________ _________________
(Low-DC climbing rolls: Both passed with flying colours.)
Atacuso and Helgkhor had both climbed onto the rope half a minute ago and were just below the second floor height. They were waiting for the sound of the distraction to go any further, in case the noise they made climbing roused those on the second floor.
"ARRGH! WE KNOW YE BE UP THERE!!"
Atacuso, highest on the rope, looked back down to Helgkhor with a quizzical if bemused look on his face. Helgkhor was grinning like a lunatic, trying his best not to burst out into laughter at the sound of the dwarf's exclaimations. Now was the time to climb!
Quietly but swiftly, the two intruders ascended between two of the windows. As they passed they heard muffled voices within.
(Listen Check rolls. Atacuso failed. Korchel Passed!)
The swamp elf pricked his ears, but he was simply too far up already to hear what was being said inside. However Korchel leaned his head close to the wall and closed his eyes, concentrating. There were two voices. One female, one deep-set male.

"...e go down there, master? They say they're from Holgett's Mask!"
"Aah, you are too easily fooled, young Lutha. Do you not remember the Shade?"
"What, you think it's the barbarian? But there's two of them!"
"You must think rationally, child. Marduc warned us of the tribal man getting loose, yes, but the two of them should have been able to overwhelm the oaf. When Marduc's Shade disappeared it suggested to me that Marduc's life was cut short. It is more likely than not that our captive got some help."
"So, we are to ignore them?"
"Yes. If they enter, Pig and Bubble will hear them."
"Oh, oka..."

The voices trailed off as the two speakers walked to the far side of the room together. Korchel and Atacuso continued up the rest of the rope and with a quiet sigh of relief, they both found themselves standing on the roof-top ledge. The ledge itself was empty, but the door to the tower-room lay open and moonlight filtered into it. From this point, Helgkhor could not see anything inside the room, but Atacuso's vision - enhanced by his Elven mother - could spot the faint outlines of two double-beds, a desk and a simple wardrobe inside the door. It looked like the tower was acting as living quarters!

_________________________________________________ _____________
Back downstairs, Korchel and Aredhel stood in the doorway. The Elf had yelled one or two words, but was feeling far more uncomfortable than the dwarf at doing this.
"Come on, lad; show them you mean business!" Korchel whispered, nudging the Elf.
"Good Korchel, you may be keen to make a fool of yourself, but I have some dignity to salvage."
"Aaah, come now! Ye're embarrased!?"
"How about I be the silent, dangerous one, and you can be the... the madman?"

The two spellcasters remained there, reluctant to actually enter, but both continuing to yell expletives and threats upstairs (more-so Korchel), but for all the sound they made, there was zero reaction.

Online EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 02:37:06 AM »
"We should have kept with the 'clueless clergymen' ruse. They're more likely to stumble blithely in, and less likely to get stabbed outright, even if only for the hope of ransom or fear of divine retribution. Well then."
Aredhel picked a small mirror from his pack, and levitated it ahead to look around - Korchel's gaze would be unaffected by the dark, so would his elf eyes. The men within might fail to notice.

"Please keep yelling, Korchel. Helgkhor and Atacuso need more cover."
"You, Carus, please take a look from above, perhaps poke your head through a window, and come back to tell me what you saw."
"Yes boss"
"And no chasing rats, yes?"
"Yes boss" the raven replied smugly.
"Nor any other kind of rodent or other kind of mobile treat."
"*sigh* yes boss."
The raven flew off.
roll all the needed perception rolls you need
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:05:51 AM by EchoMirage »

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 06:05:21 AM »
Atacuso gestured and mouthed to Helgkhor, "Two, beds, down there." He maneuvered himself into the window sill, drawing the long hunting knife from his alligator sheath in case there were any surprises he didn't spot. With a quick glance down to check his landing, he dropped down, aiming to land on his backside onto the nearest bed.

(OOC: Do I need to roll a Stealth check or anything?)

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »
The mirror which Aredhel sent into the room revealed some small hints as to the makeup of the room. Through it, he could see three lit torches against the far wall. There were several rounded pews of obvious disuse placed in a semi-circular arrangement around what appeared to be a half circle well or perhaps fountain against one wall. The well held water and was fed by a reasonably sized stone tunnel which Aredhel could only assume led to the aqueduct outside. Nothing else could be seen in the small mirror. All appeared still inside, though.

(ooc: perception roll succeeded)
Carus fluttered up from Aredhels shoulder dutifully and soon found a hole where two bricks were missing on the second floor. He couldn't get in to the room, but with some difficulty, he could catch a glance inside. In the room, he spotted a man seated at a desk, writing diligently in a tome open before him. At his side, a woman stood, arm on his shoulder. She leaned over close to him and they were speaking softly to one another. At the womans side a rapier hung in a scabbard. Both wore plain black garments akin to what Balic and Marduc wore. Carus pulled away from his vantage point, but not before noticing one more detail on the desk.

Alighting back on Aredhels shoulder, carus relayed this information to him. "Oh, and I saw some books on the mans desk too! Books like the ones you like to read. Of magic!"

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »
Helgkhor doesn't bother unsheathing his greatsword, no room. Instead, he watches (and listens) as the nimble Atacuso slides through the window and drops down, then squeezing his massive frame as best he can, follows the half-elf into the room, hoping his own landing does not alert the inhabitants (and everyone else in a square-mile radius.)

As soon as he thuds down, Helgkhor rushes over to Atacuso, and quickly and quietly relates what he heard as they climbed.

"They know we are here" he summarizes after trying to relate what he heard word-for-word first. "And there is a bubbling pig here somewhere. I know not what that means" he shrugs, and lets his eyes adjust to the dark room.
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves