Idea Guild > Sagely Advice

*Intelligent* zombie

(1/3) > >>

Cheka Man:
I was thinking about zombies and a way to make something new out of the tired old running around eating humans or slaving away working type. And I thought...what if there was a zombie with an intelligent mind? But to stay intelligent and keep from rotting away and becoming another crumbling corpse, he has to drink blood and/or eat brains every week or two. The blood/brains he eats replenishes his body so in effect, it is like it only just died. He might look a little pale, but otherwise looks perfectly human, his dead skin fresh and supple.
Sunlight does not harm him;heat however makes him need more *food* to avoid decomposition. Flies are a slight problem. He hates murdering people;he only does it to avoid decomposition.

Any ideas to do with this?

Shadoweagle:
Dossta has created something of the like in Maire's Monsters: http://strolen.com/viewing/Maires_Monsters

However, there's plenty of untapped potential in an intelligent zombiefied creature, as per our chat :p

I always think undead are a much underratted abbhoration and deserve more fear and respect. As far as i'm concerned a single, rattling skeleton should evoke as much fear and portent as the suave, powerful Dracula or monstrous Nosferatu does, and they should all hold as much power as a 'high grade' undead.

Hm. I must ponder more! I might try remaking some undead of my own, creating zombies and skeletons as powerful creatures deserving their titles.

Also, this:
--- Quote ---(14:08:40) Cheka_Man: Maybe he works as a hired killer for a crime family, that give him somewhere to live and help him avoid getting caught in exchange for him killing for them.
(14:10:18) Shadoweagle: Perhaps he could even be used as a PC in games; his motivation for adventuring being the fact that he can kill the bad guys and eat their flesh, and nobody would care! In fact, he would become a hero!
(14:10:44) Cheka_Man: :)
(14:11:22) Shadoweagle: Plus it would be hilarious to see the other players balk as 'Hugo the righteous' lops the head off a bandit and then starts tearing the bandits flesh apart in a bloodened frenzy.
--- End quote ---

Dozus:
To be a devil's advocate here, what would make an intelligent zombie any different from a lich, vampire, or other intelligent undead that needs to feed? Is there enough to make an "intelligent zombie" any different from the other various thinking dead types?

Dossta:

--- Quote from: Dozus on February 06, 2013, 11:02:12 AM ---To be a devil's advocate here, what would make an intelligent zombie any different from a lich, vampire, or other intelligent undead that needs to feed? Is there enough to make an "intelligent zombie" any different from the other various thinking dead types?

--- End quote ---

I've thought about this a lot recently.  Lets start with Liches: they are not akin to zombies/vampires because they actually don't need to feed.  The entire point of a lich is that he has given up his body and left it to freely decay, and has instead bound his soul to a physical object.  They are powered by arcane forces, and need take in no sustenance to keep going.  A lich is dangerous primarily for its mastery of the arcane arts -- not for any of its physical attributes.  I imagine that they would be quite fragile if deprived of that source -- no more threat than an old pile of bones.

So why an intelligent zombie, when we already have vampires?  Two reasons I came up with:

1. Intelligent zombies could simply be a more primitive form of undead, developed before the process was refined with vampires.
2. Added horror.  Vampires need blood to survive, but can conceivably take some from a living host without killing them.  Or live off of donated blood, for that matter.  An intelligent zombie can NOT.  They would require living flesh to survive, right?  I'd like to see the victim survive having a large chunk of flesh ripped out of their leg.  Almost of necessity, the intelligent zombie MUST murder their victims.

Scrasamax:
Well I have been thinking about this as well, and wouldn't ghouls and ghasts basically be what Cheka is asking about? Technically undead, but require the warm flesh of the living to sustain their undeath? While well fed, they are reasonably intelligent. When hungry, they are animalistic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version