llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Map Challenge #1: Decathros  (Read 17459 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Morte

• Fish King
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
Re: Map Challenge #1: Decathros
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »
I'll do some digging around Decathros as well on Voskinsar. I've got two themes currently bouncing around in my head; tiny people or floating skykeeps over dead land.... or both?

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
No reason you cant do both plus more! The world is your oyster! ... Well, at least The part of it you choose!
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »
Tiny floating skykeeps??
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Morte

• Fish King
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »
Tiny floating skykeeps actually sound pretty interesting. Size of basketballs? Floating around a Dead Land. If you were to peel one open, you would find a virtual fortress in miniature. Still need to flesh it out a bit more.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
Here's my first draft of a Swynmoor map.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
I claim area 19, I'll start adding to it within days, right now real life is in the way.

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
I think now is the time I stake my claim to this as I've been wanting to for a very long time now. I am going to register with the House of Land and Overly Taxing Trading Company for the use, abuse, and rites to claim an area of mine own.

I shall claim.

16 - Blue (bottom right with lake) - Low to mid elevations with mountains in the south, this area has a large sea and summer temperatures that rise with the humidity. Neighbors are area 12 in the north and 13 and 17 to the west.

It has yet to be named and it shall be a surprise, and while it may not be as unique as hoped it is going to be used as a staging front for my most sinister plans, machinations, and my veritable army of midgets, dwarves, and circus clowns. Ok, well maybe not midgets and dwarves, circus clowns are a must however. Just for a placeholder and spoiler as to its content, it will coincide with my Shivenhusk material. Or at least attempt to.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline modred11

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
I claim,

Azillera, Number 19 - Light Blue

Also note that I am also claiming that small island to the south... Somewhere... Maybe as a submission separate from this? That would probably be more appropriate for such a minor locality.

Many craggy mountains are the prominent feature as you move SW out of the heavy rain area of the north. Neighbors are 18 to the east, 14 to the north and 20 to the west.

CONSTRUCTION UNDER

Area Overview, Azillera
Azillera is split up between two rival monarchies, in the west the Empire of Noss rules around the Boulder Lake and in the east the Kingdom of Nothalo rules the coastline. The two were founded by the brothers Nothalo and Noss, respectively. The two have never been on good terms, constantly bickering and fighting. The fighting has been going back and forth, reaching many stalemates with many surprise happenings, a full history of the conflict may be found elsewhere.

Nothalo (people from Nothalo are Nothalian, plural Nothalese. An item from Nothalo would be Nothalic. E.g. A Nothalic sword, a Nothalian adventurer, Nothalese merchants.)
Nothalo is the eastern kingdom of Azillera, it lies on the coast there and has a strong naval presence in that sea which borders Idaina-Hugrland, Hesurach, and Skaldeval. This navy is primarily for trade (though they are also heavily concerned with the possibility of invasion from that front). Note that the Nothalese do not call their region Azillera but rather Azilleranothalo. Nothalese are a very patriotic people, very proud of their founder and of their kingdom.

Nothalo is known most for its great library, the Sanctuary of Baradu. Nothalo himself discovered the breadth of information stored in the library after he founded his kingdom, so he built a road to make it accessible to his people. Then he created a law that free lodging was to be given to any scholar who carried certification from the crown, and that the crown would pay back the expense. He also sent personal invitations to many scholars who were known to him who lived in foreign lands to come and visit and see the library. He also hired many scribes to work at the Sanctuary, copying down books, helping resort and catalogue the sanctuary's vast collection. This was of course, subject to the approval of the monks of Baradu. And he ordered the construction of the Academy of Nothalo.

Notes on the word Nothalo
Nothalo is the name of the kingdom and its capital city. It is also used as a suffix and a general adjective meaning something like "good, exceptional, wonderful, quality, whole" or "holy, revered, highly respectable". "The Nothalo" is the ruler of Nothalo. Nothalo the First is the founder of Nothalo. And it is sometimes polite to call a friend Nothalo if they are from Nothalo or if you are, as a term of respect or endearment. Understandably, these various uses confuse people who are not from Nothalo, but for the Nothalese it is a common practice.

So, for example, if two Nothalese merchants were bargaining over the price of a sword, their discussion would likely revolve around whether the sword was Nothalo or not.

History
Dungeons
Items
Lifeforms
Winged Turtles
Around Boulder Lake there are turtles who have feathery wings that grow out of their shells. These wings vanish when the turtles go into their shells. They do not recede through any actual hole in the shell, they vanish by some magic. The turtles do indeed fly by these wings, and spend some of their time in Upsidedownland, some time Downland, and some time living under the water of the lake.

Locations
The Sanctuary of Baradu
This ancient building is hidden high within the craggy mountains of Azillera, in a place that was once all but unreachable (and is still a long and difficult journey away from Nothalo). It is said that the Sanctuary's library contains books that date back to the very day when the world was created. Regardless, the library is extensive, with books written in almost every known language and alphabet. The majority of the texts are everyday things: personal letters, accounting checkbooks, censuses, genealogies of aristocratic families, etc. Though there are also various mystical and religious and philosophic texts. Along with texts written by craftsmen and skilled workers of various trades, and letters between these.

The seclusive monks of Baradu are not devoted to any one religious doctrine (per se). Their legends say that the temple was built long ago by a rich man from an immeasurably distant land who loved knowledge (and so happened to have these books), his desire was to withdraw from the world to seek enlightenment in peace and quiet. To keep Baradu from being discovered, the monks traveled alone, and built the Sanctuary themselves with their own powers of craft.

The monks sometimes mind the hustle and bustle that is brought about when too many scholars visit them at a time, so they are particular about the number they allow to visit and how long they may stay. Though some of the monks do like to meet visitors and learn about ongoing events in the world, and the monastery was not hidden as a way to stop friendly visitors, but as a way to keep the Sanctuary safe.

Upsidedownland
In the center of the Empire of Noss, there is a lake called Boulder Lake. It is called this because there is a giant boulder that is almost as large as the lake itself suspended in the air above the lake. On this boulder gravity works in reverse. The boulder is called Upsidedownland, or Upland, the people who live there are called Uplanders, or Upmen. The people who live in the city around the lake (the Noss) are called Downlanders or Downmen.

The odd gravity extends down and over the surface of the lake, so any boat attempting to float across it will find itself floating into the air until it lands softly in Upsidedownland. The only except to this is that the Swan King (the ruler of Upsidedownland) has the power to banish anyone from his land, negating the effect over them (and their descendants). In the first meetings between Downmen who wanted to fish on the lake and the Swan King, when the would be fishermen asked to be banished, the Swan King took their request as an insult. This is why the lake was mostly uninhabited until Noss the First came and managed to establish friendly relations with the Swan King.

Downmen think of Upmen almost as a pet or curiosity. Watching the Upmen go about their day is a common passtime. Though Downmen are respectful when dealing with Upmen. Upmen think of Downmen in virtually the same way.

Philosophies
Notable People
Plots
Society/Organizations
The Azilleran Movement
A political movement which started in the Academy of Nothalo, originally based around the belief that Noss and Nothalo should merge into one, the Country of Azillera. The idea has since expanded to include the notion that the Country of Azillera should not be a monarchy, but rather some other form of government (this idea may have come from Skaldeval). The movement has grown to include members across Azillera, some even in positions of influence within the governments.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:06:45 AM by modred11 »

Offline modred11

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »
Actually I've changed my mind about islands. I want the little speck of an island, although it's not part of the same region, or really related to it at all, but I made up a story for it so I want it for that. But the little area to the south I don't want, it's like connected to lands that are off the map and I don't really think it works with the concept I have, and I don't have any particular other ideas for things to do with it either.

this image shows what I mean (I want the circled thingy, don't want the crossed out place)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nMYhPsv5_sNlRaTzlNaVFvUDg/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Mythirion

• Apprentice
  • Scholar. Gentleman. Fisticuffs Enthusiast.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
Assuming I haven't missed a post already claiming it, I'd like area 20. I've got ideas for it, and I'll edit the post once I've got them written up. Quick question, though, would it be a stretch to assume that those mountains and crags have some alpine forests? I kinda need alpine forests.

20 - Orangeish on bottom left- A long peninsula, it is heavy with mountains and crags. The islands have low to mid elevation and get plenty of rain. Neighbors are 14 to the north and 19 to the east.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
You can take as much creative license as you want with it. Put what you need where you need it and run with it!!

Thanks for claiming a territory!!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Mythirion

• Apprentice
  • Scholar. Gentleman. Fisticuffs Enthusiast.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »
Wait, actually, can I change my claim? Has 17 been claimed yet? I think my idea might fit 17 better.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
I'd like to claim area 16 if that's alright. Thanks.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
I think now is the time I stake my claim to this as I've been wanting to for a very long time now. I am going to register with the House of Land and Overly Taxing Trading Company for the use, abuse, and rites to claim an area of mine own.

I shall claim.

16 - Blue (bottom right with lake) - Low to mid elevations with mountains in the south, this area has a large sea and summer temperatures that rise with the humidity. Neighbors are area 12 in the north and 13 and 17 to the west.

It has yet to be named and it shall be a surprise, and while it may not be as unique as hoped it is going to be used as a staging front for my most sinister plans, machinations, and my veritable army of midgets, dwarves, and circus clowns. Ok, well maybe not midgets and dwarves, circus clowns are a must however. Just for a placeholder and spoiler as to its content, it will coincide with my Shivenhusk material. Or at least attempt to.
I see that area 16 has already been claimed. My bad. Well, if no one objects, I'd like to lay claim to area 20 instead. Thanks.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 08:41:14 AM »
I claim area 15.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Stork

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »
I would like an area but am a bit confused at what is available at this time. Are there any areas left open and if so which one(s)?

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
Is area #20 still available?

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
I think that this thread should  be updated so that potential contributors know which areas or zones are still available.   Just a suggestion.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 06:57:24 AM »
I think that this thread should  be updated so that potential contributors know which areas or zones are still available.   Just a suggestion.
Seconded!
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2014, 06:59:05 AM »
If we just update the first sub, it has the list of names.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 10:09:18 AM »
If we just update the first sub, it has the list of names.
That would be a significant step in making it easier for people to claim regions.

I might also suggest relabeling the map with claimed and unclaimed regions clearly labeled.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2

Online valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
May I propose we create a Region for this ... region? :)

I can create it and assign it to Dozus.  We can then add submissions to the region and create a summary page where we can take this out of the forum partly.

Forum is still good to hash it over though.

Then, we can create submissions for each of our countries - set as Stubs if they are unfinished or too raw for mainstream.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Online valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
And since I'm an impatient person:

http://strolen.com/regions/16

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Online valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »
I have attempted to link in all of the original claim Posts to each location, and at present, we have all 20 accounted for.

At some point, we may want to put some of these domains back into circulation for new active authors - there are some which have been little more than place holders for quite some time.

We have two requests - Kassy and Stork without available lands.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
May I propose we create a Region for this ... region? :)

I can create it and assign it to Dozus.  We can then add submissions to the region and create a summary page where we can take this out of the forum partly.

Forum is still good to hash it over though.

Then, we can create submissions for each of our countries - set as Stubs if they are unfinished or too raw for mainstream.
A fine idea. So am I owner/editor/whatever of the region, or are we assigning SE to it?
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2