Hurin (#1)
0 (0%)
Pheramir (#2)
2 (100%)
Apocalypse (#3)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 25, 2003, 02:32:44 PM

Author Topic: Gods of War  (Read 2519 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Gods of War
« on: July 25, 2003, 02:32:44 PM »
Rumor has it that 3 Gods are clashing just North of the City of (Insert city name here). They are fighting for control of the lands all around the city, and the outcome will determine the cities future. The catch is, the God's cannot fight themselves, so each has gathered an army, and can grant their personal skill to their own troops.

God #1 (Hurin): A master of the Earth and terrain, this God can teleport any units under his control to any of 6 beacon rocks placed around the battlegrounds. Known for his kindness, this God will bring peace to the cities.

God #2 (Pheramir): A beserker God who specializes in brute strength. Every time his army kills a certain amount of enemies, an increasingly stronger Demi-God appears to aid the troops. These Demi-Gods have powers ranging from increasing nearby units strengths or armor to temporary invincibility for nearby troops. (obviously, the stronger Demi-Gods require more enemy sacrifices before they can be summoned) This God is of a Neutral nature, and cares only for strength in battle. A victory by Faramir will ensure a strong government, but under strict and harsh rule.

God #3 (Apocalypse): An evil God of the underrealm, he as the ability to keep his forces thick in every battle. Whenever his army drops to a smaller size than the opposing forces (not combined) the nearby corpses (friendly and enemy alike) spring to life as living skeletons serving Apocalypse. These skeletons are not as strong as normal soldiers but they do count towards the army's unit count. Apocalypse delights in nothing but the torture of all creatures, and his victory will result in the destruction of the lands.

The rules of the battle are as follows:

1- Each God may try to sway as many of the lands inhabitants (any living thing, including plants if they have battle capabilities) to their case throughout the battles duration.

2- Each God has been granted possesion of a magical creature, that is to be kept on the battlefield at all times. When this creature is killed, the battle is over for that God, and he and all his army are instantly teleported to a holding cell until the battle is over. (in other words, you lose this creature and you lost the battle, so you are still fighting even if you have 0 soldiers)

3- Each God is restricted to using only his special ability (described above) Violation of this rule results in an imediate cease in the war, and the removal of the God and his army. A team of judges will determine to restart the battle from scratch (with or without the violating God) or two let the other 2 God's finish the battle from where it stands.

4- No God or any of his army may leave the battlefield for any reason, until the battle is over. Violation of this rule will result in immediate expulsion from the battle.

Now, when a character hears this, they can each decide what they want to do. They can stay and let the fight go (but watch of course, a battle of Gods is too cool to pass up) or they can participate. This campaign gives the PCs a chance to fight eachother, as they each can choose the God they wish to back, based on the fate they wish the city to endure!

(OOC: for exact rules of the third God (he is a bit tricky after all), a map of the battlefield, or anything else you might need feel free to pm me and I will see what I can do.)
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 02:39:30 PM »
I like it. Highly structured "Code of War" among the gods, possibly set down after some sort of horrible cataclysmic God's War in the distant past.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 02:43:02 PM »
Ya, I didn't get very specific on God #3 or the rules, but I can later, right now I just want to know what other people think of it.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 03:03:45 PM »
Well, the reason that I don't think this fits here, is that it's an actual situation. Myth, by definition, is a fictional story made by religious peoples to explain natural things. In magical settings, myths may or may not be true, but the point is that they have already happened. They are stories. This would, however, work as a rumor, if news of this war of gods has spread through out the land.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 01:20:44 PM »
So, does anyone have any ideas or comments?

Offline Ylorea

• Knight
    • http://www.home.zonnet.nl/ylorea
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 01:41:58 AM »
I feel with the captain that this is typicaly a plot idea, not a myth or legend.

Oke on the idea then:
- Personaly I would never use it, as all of my characters would never ever want to be involved in a battle like this.
- I am afraid that the power of the first god is too small compared to the other two gods. Remember there is only six fixed locations you can send troops to, while the other two actualy boost the power of their army.
- What do the magical animals (mascottes?) have as their power?
- What is in it for the soldiers? I mean just the greater good of having the city ruled in a certain manner would (I fear) not be a very good way to motivate lots and lots of soldiers to fight for a certain god.
(Realize that most evil gods will generaly have less followers then good gods, though the latter gods typicaly have followers that are less dedicated to the cause of the god.)

Even though my questions and concerns may deter you, I still feel the general idea is pretty nice.

Yours friendly,

Ylorea

p.s. hmmm and after your PM I had decided never to speak to you again....

Please feel free to visit Teolin. (Simply press the "www" button)

Offline strom

• Guardian
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 02:54:31 AM »
This seems to me to have a board game format. It gives me ideas.
Conan! What are three great things in life?

To crush your enemies; to have them flee before you, and to hear the lamenations of their women.

Conan The Barbarian

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 03:05:26 AM »
...or a computer game...
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 12:54:34 PM »
Quote from: "Ylorea"
I feel with the captain that this is typicaly a plot idea, not a myth or legend.

Oke on the idea then:
- Personaly I would never use it, as all of my characters would never ever want to be involved in a battle like this.
- I am afraid that the power of the first god is too small compared to the other two gods. Remember there is only six fixed locations you can send troops to, while the other two actualy boost the power of their army.
- What do the magical animals (mascottes?) have as their power?
- What is in it for the soldiers? I mean just the greater good of having the city ruled in a certain manner would (I fear) not be a very good way to motivate lots and lots of soldiers to fight for a certain god.
(Realize that most evil gods will generaly have less followers then good gods, though the latter gods typicaly have followers that are less dedicated to the cause of the god.)

Even though my questions and concerns may deter you, I still feel the general idea is pretty nice.

Yours friendly,

Ylorea

p.s. hmmm and after your PM I had decided never to speak to you again....

First, the first God is equally strong compared to the others. When he is in trouble, when his army needs help, they can disappear from the battle. Using the stones they can easily form a pincer movement on unsuspecting troops, and wreak havoc on any small regime foolish enough to break away from the main group. Mainly, they use Guerilla tactics against a stronger force. (think of America's Revolutionary war) Also, they have a much more effective way of gathering resources needed for battle. (after all, soldiers need to eat, so all necessary resources can be find throughout the battlefield.)

Second, the Magical animals have no special powers or any beneficial abilities. They are merely the means by which the batlle's winner is decided.

Third, The Gods can recruit their armies any way they wish, from promising them gold to a stable home and family. They can threaten, bribe, or just ask men to join them.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Gods of War
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 02:18:04 AM »
Rumours...

The news might be carried by magical creatures, announcing this publicly in every bigger town in these lands, and spread further through chatter like wildfire. A war between the Gods is something that does not happen every day! (I hope it does not in your world.)

Motivation:

- loot from the battlefield (well it has to be mentioned)
 - looting the city ( #3 of course, maybe even #2 ) and general killing, blood lust
 - various vendettas and revenges, this being the final place to solve them
 - people that actually live in the city/surroundings, and want their side to win
 - being a follower of one of the gods makes you a fine candidate
 - If the city is important (and it probably is), many will want to intervene, possibly even other gods. The rules don't say a word about other gods. Anybody read the Illiad?
 - repent for their sins, undo the mistakes done before

Various:

- There can be a special 'force-field', that prevents any member of the armies to leave.
 - It is forbidden to use godly powers to make soldiers change sides. But bribing, threats or even torment may be used on enemies, even captured ones if there are some.
 - The creatures should reflect their respective gods, be not too powerful, but certainly unique. Anybody ideas?
 - The creatures will sense without error, whether a soldier is a part of the army, or not.
 - The war will probably take a while, and the soldiers need to eat, right? Smart traders will note the trading possibilities. Food, weapons, oil, any kind of equipment may be needed.

God #1:

Even if a stone is strong, it can be pushed aside or walked around. But take many stones, and build a sturdy wall out of them, and no one will pass!

Possible power: His army has a permanent blessing for everything they do cooperatively. Excelling in defense mainly, smart troop movements can give bonuses even to attack.

It may be a part of his powers, giving tactical bonuses for terrain and combat knowledge. OR, it may be a secret influence of some other good-aligned deity...

Plot hooks:

- Never forget treachery. Hiring the players to kill that key magical creature, while the action is on the battlefield, is definitely not against the rules. Did I mention that being hired makes you a part of that army, too? Then you must stay until the very end.
 - Some soldiers may want to survive, and don't want to fight for any side. (Many will join hot-headed, later realising what war is about.) They seek protection, because they can't leave the battlefield.
 - Even if the characters do not want to intervene initially, will they, once the numbers dwindle from thousands to a few hundred combatants total? The reward would be great. But making one (or two) gods angry, hmmmm...
 - General lack of armed folk may do anything from increasing the crime rate, up to calling an invasion of some foreign power. Very ironical if they worship some wholly different god, one that supported this theatre for own ends. And these gods and their armies are bound to one place. Sure, the winner gets the city. Smartie gets the rest. :twisted:
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.