llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chapter the First: Six Degrees of Joachim Ebellos  (Read 3423 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: TBA Game
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
Saano

Saano waited until the room was empty before picking up the book and moving to sit with it on the vacated dias. "Well, this should be an interesting contract."

A feminine, almost musical laugh was the reply. "I don't recall you ever thinking danger was fun or interesting. A B'kakor is definitely not something for us to underestimate. Wasn't there a Guardian a few years ago that..?"

"Yes. We never heard from him again. We'll have to be very careful; that knowledge of a 'Great Secret' sounds like an excellent way to drive someone insane, or mislead them into doing truly stupid things. That's probably what happened to the fool." Saano flipped to the next page, reading through the miscellaneous rumors and factoids gathered together, comparing them with what he already knew to form a more complete picture of the creature they had been hired to deal with. "And no, I never found danger fun, that was always you. I just happened to pick up the habit once you came to live with me."

Another laugh. "I must say, you never objected too hard when I forced you to join me on my nightly adventures through the city. If you disliked it so much, why did you keep coming?"

Saano chuckled and kept reading. "Because it was time spent with you. Do you recall anything else we might've learned about these creatures that isn't in here? All I can think of is that they're willing to fight using their host if threatened."

"Which means we'll have to tie her down before the exorcism. That'll get an interesting reaction from the priestesses, I'm sure."

This time it was Saano's turn to laugh. "Yes, well, since the exorcism is probably going to be terrifying and utterly disgusting, I think it's safe to say we can get away with it. We'll probably want to see if Ebellos can get his hands on a bit of quicksilver too. I'm willing to bet money it'll be a positive component in the exorcism ritual, since they're vulnerable to weapons coated in it."

The conversation continued much the same, as the hunter continued to flip through the book, quietly talking to the empty room around him.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
Nisher Stryne stalked the garden like a cat, prowling his way ever closer to the house. He thought he was doing a pretty darned good job of it, too, until he bustled out from behind a rather thorny bush with violet flowers adorning it, into the plain view of three men; one with a short bow and a mean look to his face, one dressed in finery and obviously the owner of the Manse, and the third one...
"YOU!" Nisher spat, and pulled his Tome out from beneath his cloak, palming it defensively, "Using your d**nable tricks to order me around!?" Nish motioned violently with his hand to the front of the estate, where Zuan and Nisher had been just some minutes ago, "I've a mind to..." Stryne trailed off and composed himself, before turning to Ebellos, "Me apologies, m'lud. I would've come in the front way, 'cept some  lout violated meself just a'cause I wanted a peek at his horse!" Nish snuck a quick glare at Zuan before continuing, "All's I wanted was to ask if you knew anything about a place on the 'Street of Warm Shadows!' which used to have some of my friends innit." Nisher's intentionally simplified language was well practiced; he had known many people of 'self worth' that have lowered their guards when they thought the person they were talking to was less intelligent than they.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:27:12 PM by Shadoweagle »
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »
Zuan turned to his friend, ignoring Stryne's outburst. "You see how knavish he is. He is like the card player that makes a poor bluff, showing his true hand before covering it with a false one.

"He has shown his guilt already in his anger. Once he has tried to steal from me, why would you not be next?" He nodded his chin at Iskander. "Send you soldier to arrest him, let the city's guards take care of this thief. He is of no use to you."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
Iskander smiled in spite of himself.  The intruder carried a book yet spoke like a bunkin.  A real urchin would have sold it long ago.

Or eaten it.

"You are taking quite the chance to ask a simple question, my friend," said Iskander, the last word baring a bit too much teeth.

Iskander then watched to see how Ebellos chose to handle this.  The fellow looked harmless enough, but Iskander knew how little that meant.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »
isk/ns/zc

"No doubt, no doubt. If you say this cretin has already tried robbing you once, Zuan....", Ebellos said, yet his eyes shone like jewels now, for no seeming good reason.

'And quite a chance, yes...something simple" Ebellos trailed off as Iskander said what he said.

"What place on the Street of Warm Shadows?" Ebellos finally asked, turning to Nish, eyeing his book now intently.
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »
Nisher pointedly ignored Zuan's incessant accusations, his beady eyes swivelling to focus on the hired help; "Yes, well... one must do what it takes to get what he needs." Nish's head cocked to the side slightly, considering the man; he noticed the veiled hostility and decided not to push his arrogance with this one just yet.
"The two-storied chapter house, about one third up the street. I had heard there were some... associates of mine taking up residence there. Aah, but I am not from here, milord; and when I walked through the door I was met with nothing but a ragged servant moving the dust from one side of the hall to the other."
Nisher blinked, his eyes darting back and forth between the three men compulsively and his fingers drummed on the Tome in his hand. The only thing keeping him from the bars of a jail was the three before him - and he had already well and truly alienated at least one of them.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
zc/ns/isk

"My body-guard is a better judge of men than I, and my friend Zuan Coursi here, well, let us just say that I believe him implicitly and value his council." Ebellos began then, "Associates? You no doubt speak of the Spellwriter's House, yet you are obviously a--thief. Did you plan to plunder the place, but received the wrong information, I wonder? Nevertheless, it is obvious to me that you pose no immediate physical threat, so..." he trailed off, lost in thought.

"I cannot tell the truth of it yet, but it is obvious you come from the northern countries, from cities whose names my tongue has trouble pronouncing," he began again, "Are you then a spellwriter yourself? If so, why do you look so...so...like a rogue?"

"All this excitement has made me hungry, i must say. Zuan, will you honor me by joining me for a late lunch of garlic snails and honeyed-rabbit? And you, what did you say your name was? Join us, you look as if you haven't had a good meal in months. Perhaps we can solve this mystery over food and fine grape wine. Yes, I Joachim Ebellos welcome you into my humble abode. And you Iskander, join us, since we will be dining with a complete stranger, perhaps yet dangerous, who has just tried robbing my friend and breaking into my own house."

Ebellos looked at everyone in turn. He was acting strangely, but Zuan knew Joachim to be often-times whimsical and like his sister-of-which-he-didn't-speak, prone to needless drama from time to time.

"Do not look askance at me Zuan", Ebellos now smiled, "perhaps there is profit to be made here...somehow" he winked annoyingly.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:41:31 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
Iskander shrugged and shouldered his bow.  This did seem odd, but he would not pass up a good meal. 
The spellwriter did not bother him overmuch. Some of Iskander's associates were much sketchier, which had been convient by times.   Perhaps this fellow could be of use too..

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
Nisher's face darkened at the accusation of 'thief' from Ebellos - No matter how true the word, he hated what he was being wrapped into a single, d**ning word; what did this pompous land-owner know of Nisher's life!? What did he know of doing what it took to survive! "Clearly you understand little on the intricacies of ensorcelling of rogue energies into a tangible spellcraft," Stryne intoned quickly and quietly, though loud enough to hear; A taste of Nisher's pride and intellect shining through before he collected himself again. "That is to say, milord; A Spellwriter though I may be - that does not put coin in my purse. You look at me and see a thief. As did he." Nish glared at Zuan once more, "I am a man who does what he must."

This entire situation had well and truly slipped through the Spellwriter's hands. Nevertheless, Nisher's options were limited for the moment, and at the mention of food - albeit strange, outlandish dishes - his demeanor changed instantly. Eyes, brightening and an irritating smile rising on his lips, he said, "Well, now that sounds like something we can all agree on!" And without awaiting any further invitation Nish stepped forward to pass them - giving the bow-wielding bodyguard a friendly pat on the shoulder as he made his way towards the door, speaking obnoxiously "What generous people you work for!"

From threat of imprisonment to a dinner invitation in the course of a few seconds. How odd.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »
isk/zc/ns/sd

"Oh", said Ebellos almost absent-mindedly, "There is one other who may join us. I shall ask him. He reads from The Clavicula in my aviary, even as we speak."

"Of course, this is all assuming Zuan is agreeable to a peculiar luncheon", he looked at his friend.

To Iskander,"Watch him please. I have interest in his tale for my own reasons, but he will no doubt steal from me if presented half a chance" he concluded gesturing toward the suddenly marching Nisher Stryne.

"Right. I must see to my other guest." With that, Ebellos turned on his heel and followed the thief who had just scaled his walls, into his own house.

some minutes later...

"Ah, Saano, I believe you said your name was. I am sorry to have--kept you waiting", Ebellos said as he entered the menagerie.

"I would ask, sir, that you join my friends and me, well one friend and me, and some recent acquaintances, for a meal and some libation. We can speak of *this*" he gestured toward the tome sounding sinister, "after lunch. What say you?"

With a sister in peril, possessed by a demon, Don Joachim Ebellos seemed suddenly odd to Saano Dealonar, Midnight Guardsman.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:25:59 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
Zuan peered at Joachim warily. "Very well," he said, a hint of caution in his voice. "I would not deny the master of the house his duty to honor... guests."

He made a bow to the senior priest. "Let us eat then," he said loudly, then more quietly, "and see what in the name of Bashad's blessed beard is going on."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 01:52:36 AM »
Saano

Saano stood upon Joachim's entrance, placing the book back where it had originally lain. "I..will certainly join you for lunch. I need some time to finish thinking, and a meal seems like the perfect distraction while my mind works. Thank you."

A flicker of confused annoyance brushed the back of his mind, and though there weren't audible words, he could still understand the thoughts behind them. Doesn't this seem a little odd? His sister has probably been possessed by a notoriously-difficult to exorcise demon, and he's inviting us to lunch? He doesn't seem nearly distressed enough for this situation. Do you think he's lying about his sister?

He's acting abnormally, yes, but I think it's a bit early to tell whether he's lying or whether he's just one of those really eccentric rich people. Regardless, he did already pay the retainer, so we're committed to at least look into whatever problem he points us at. Lets enjoy lunch and keep an eye out for anything that might give us an answer one way or another.

Saano gestured to the doorway in a "you-first" fashion. "Shall we join the others you mentioned?"

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
all

And so the mis-matched group sat down to dine, as Ebellos cast glances at all of his guests in turn. Platters of pungent garlic-infused snails began making the rounds courtesy of two servants, while a third servant, Ronsalvo, poured the wine.

“Let me make an introduction” intoned Ebellos, “This is Saano Dealonar, of the Midnight Guard. I have hired him recently…” he left the sentence unfinished.

‘Please acquaint yourself with my good friend, Zuan Coursi, my fine body-guard Iskander here, and meet our new friend, Nisher Stryne from the north.”

“I was hoping that perhaps Nisher Stryne can tell us some news from said north.  I have heard recently, no doubt Zuan can confirm, that the northern city-states have started a mercantile “league” of their own, and profits are growing. This should interest you, Zuan, after-all, the road to the north, across the great mountain range, passes Canagadi, and a certain spice route that interests you…”

Ebellos seemed to be trying to get everyone to speak freely and be comfortable. Why? That was difficult to tell.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:55:45 AM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
Zuan swallowed another mouthful of snail before he spoke. "Yes, the northern princes are trying to challenge Abodroci imports. They are even now organizing their merchant clans under their own laws to limit the import of our goods by our merchants. They want to use tariffs and license fees on merchants not from their lands trading spice in their markets. Abodroci will be forced to pay the city princes, or sell cheap to northern exporters. They profit either way." He shrugged. "On its face, it seems a good plan, but it will stifle trade in the long term. A poor investment on their part."

He plucked another snail from the platter, contemplating it. "Old Valdeo refused to see it coming. He thought the princes would abide their agreements with the House of Bursars." He placed the snail in his mouth, sucking the garlic and butter from it before swallowing whole. "The Bursars share the fault. Some are stuck in their old ways, refusing to innovate to the changing markets."

Coursi looked pointedly to Stryne. "I'm sure you have heard the news yourself, spellwright. You must frequent many markets yourself."

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »
Nisher had been plonked down on the table next to iskander, obviously to keep a close watch on the spellwriter in case he tried to make off with the cutlery! A ridiculously tattooed man joined them at the table, prompting a rude, knee-jerk guffaw from Nisher before he collected himself and instead grinned at the man incessantly. When the garlic prawns came out, he curled his upper lip and turned a little pale; never had he been less enthusiastic about a free meal. " well, I don't listen into much of the happenings of the guilds 'round my parts; alls I know is that trade will definitely slow down in the next few weeks when the snows come and blanket the roads." Nish gave zuan a sour look at his marketplace comment, which doubled in intensity when the trade priest sucked on his snail.
With a snigger he muttered quietly to Iskander, "clearly they don't worship the god of table-manners. I can see why they are all so rotund!" Nisher hadn't touched the snails personally; the sight of them curdled his stomach. He was on hos second wine, however.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Iskander listened to the merchant's chatter while he helped himself to essentially a mirror image of Nisher's choice.  The wine remained in the bottle while he devoured the snails with great gusto.  He simply raised his eyebrows at Nisher's comments - insults rarely led to opportunity.

He had no cards he wished to play at this time, so simply listened.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
Saano found the food not entirely to his liking, but had definitely had worse. Both snail and wine quickly made themselves scarce from his presence. This had the double advantage of both filling his stomach and keeping him from the conversation of his lunch-companions. He understood the basics of trade, but a conversation on the relative merits of tariffs in another place entirely held no particular interest for him. And as a wise sage had once said, rare is the time when a man makes a fool of himself by being silent.

By the power of Bayes!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
Ebellos smiled widely at Zuan’s concise summation on matters of northern trade relations, nodding his head eagerly.

“Indeed. Indeed.” he said, and called for more wine to be poured.

“Such boorish talk” he then added, meaning Nisher Stryne… “You should know that the book you carry betrays your attempt at disguise, as the sharp-eyed Iskander here mentioned earlier. Please, feel free to be yourself. Surely you have come to Abodroc to determine what has happened to your fellow Spellwriters, no? Did you not say yourself, that you came here to speak to the master of this abode, regarding a certain house on the Street of Warm Shadows? ”

He paused studying Nish…

“What if I told you that there has been an investigation of sorts, since their disappearance? The spellwriters in fact, were last seen in Canagadi. Why they had travelled to that mountain-drowned country however, so suddenly and en masse, alas, we do not know.”

To Iskander he said in between bites of rabbit haunch, “You are an able man to be sure, having guarded my body ably these last three weeks. I have learned recently that the danger I thought I faced has…subsided however”, Ebellos did his best to ignore Zuan’s raised eyebrows, “Therefore, we can consider our contract complete and finished. I do wish to offer you further employment of a sort, if you would be interested in listening to my proposal, that is.”

Saano meanwhile attempted to be patient, but began withdrawing into himself, listening to all this talk that didn’t concern him.

“Master Dealonar here” Ebellos suddenly added gesturing toward the Midnight Guardsman, “I have hired for reasons I will now tell you. It has to do with my sister, Zuan, the poor thing needs---my help. And as you well know, St. Hurdegilda’s Keep is only a few miles east of Canagadi…”

“Do you begin to see, Zuan, why I suddenly thought, why not have this dinner?” Finally Ebellos quieted, leaving his ultimate point unsaid. There seemed to be a lot Ebellos left unsaid.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:12:00 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
"Canagadi...?" Nisher paused, his wine half-raised to his mouth and his expression pensive for a change, "It is odd. Yes, a satellite enclave like that on the Street of Warm Shadows would only hold perhaps a dozen, perhaps up to two-dozen Spellwrites. Yet, to pack up all things and leave is odd. Perhaps they have heard of a Focal Inspiration point and have gone to investigate.'
The Spellwriter lowered his wine and placed it absently on the table, forgotten. "Ah, you see," Nish explained, "As spellwriters, our craft is guided by our interaction with the real world. Things which amaze us or affect us emotionally - either positively or negatively..." The man paused, his eyes glazed for a second before snapping back to focus, " Yes, positive or negative. We find such things much easier to translate into our books as tangible mage-craft. As such, we tend to keep an ear out for any strange happenings in the world around us. Disappearances; strange creature sightings; Signs of war, conflict. The bizarre and unexplained. It's possible that my, er, comrades, will have heard of such a thing in Canagadi and have decided to move to further study. It is odd for them to completely abandon Abodroc, though."

At Ebellos's final comment to Zuan, Nish snapped back into his old, obnoxious self and plastered an over-exaggerated grin on his face at the Trade Priest, expressing his insight as to the situation "Ah, you see don't you Zuan, The man seeks to enlist me as one of his hired help! He will have us all as travelling companions for some epic adventure to defend his sweet sister! How exciting!" Nish chuckled, his eyes darting back and forth between all those present.

He found himself peering at Saano Dealanor with intent - one person he had hardly hear speak the entire meal. His attitude subsiding into thoughtfulness once more, the Spellwriter cocked his head to one side, "But what of you, ink-man? The portly priest has his god and party tricks to help," Nish nodded towards Zuan Coursi, "And this fearsome fellow next to me seems like he could slit my throat with a spoon, should the need arise," Stryne raised his hand to pat Iskander on the shoulder, then caught a glance at the man's eyes and thought better, lowering it instead to gently stroke his spellbook, "What is your place in this rag-tag ensemble?"

Nisher had no more interest in either food or drink - his thoughts now on the people around him, and just what he was getting himself into.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 09:32:21 PM »
Zuan looked thoughtfully at Ebellos. The cleric was more of a family man that he, close to his sister where Zuan had all but abandoned his family on following the Way. Coursi empathized with his brother priest, but only just so. The void of emotion ebbed at his thoughts.

"I am sorry to hear of your sister, Joachim," he said, touching a hand to his breast. "Would that you have told me earlier that I might more quickly lend my help." Zuan glanced around the table. It was strange fortune that the robber happened to be a spellwriter, but fortune nonetheless: the Divine Broker must have put His Invisible Hand here and moved goods into Ebellos' favor. For Zuan to ignore such auspices would be poor investment.

He leaned forward, sipping wine from his goblet, watching carefully the others. If, as Stryne had suggested, they were to create a sort of outfit in the path to Canagadi, he had to know which of these men were trustworthy of his friend's cause - and his own stake in such enterprises.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1

Offline Chaosmark

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
Saano raised an eyebrow at the inquisitive spellwriter. "What of me?" he parroted back in an almost sing-song voice. "I am here because I was hired to help the poor girl currently suffering at St. Hurdegilda’s. I see little need for any other reason." He took another light sip of the wine, examining Nisher in more detail. "You, however, appear to have little cause to join on such an expedition, especially considering the danger involved."

By the power of Bayes!

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
"That," said Iskander, answering both Nish and Ebellos, "the danger.  Danger earns gold, and I am always interested in that.   You have my answer Ebellos.  My blade and bow are your service.  This fine assortment of ... gentlemen," a glance at Nish, " may have need of my courser hands."

Of course, he would inquire about the balance of his salary, but at a more discreet moment.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: The Unusual Suspects
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »
The Neverending Luncheon aka The Road to Canagadi
Beware of the fool whose volume of words is as that of ten men, a hundred arrows shot and each one wide of the target. If thou art wise, shoot one and that one straight. The Great Sa'di

"...It is odd for them to completely abandon Abodroc, though."

"Hmm, yes." Ebellos said, "Indeed....quite odd", he muttered toward Stryne and for a moment his eyes glazed over. "Now that you know, I imagine you will want to investigate further, am I right?" Ebellos said, misjudging Stryne perhaps, "So when I saw you this afternoon, and you mentioned your accomplices, I thought, well, here is a man on his way to Canagadi, you see?"

To Zuan, Ebellos seemed out of sorts and not himself, though perhaps this was due to his distress over his sister.

"My friends, my sister has been unwell. She is a Silent Woman in St. Hurdegilda's Keep, as Saano Dealonar has just shared. His--kind," Ebellos was now gesturing toward the red-eyed Midnight Guardsman, "are trained and equipped to deal with such matters, and so I ask him now, in your company, if he would travel to Canagadi to investigate and deal with this matter, before the Silent Women take drastic measures...as I said, my sister seems to be haunted by some supernatural forces. Or did I say?"

"Meanwhile, Zuan, when you had first mentioned Don V. Sonno's spice route on my balcony this afternoon, it made me think---mayhaps my friend Zuan is bound to take the Road to Canagadi as well sooner not later, and well----" he left off again, as was his infuriating habit.

The plates and trays of food were now being whisked away and dessert bowls came next, various berries buried beneath dollops of frozen cream, flavored with some exotic spices.

"Naturally," Ebellos began again, "I will speak to the right Bursars, as mentioned, and recommend you Zuan, in the meantime. In fact what better way to win the Bursar's favor than to be traveling the very roads in question, when they ask your current whereabouts, eh?" Ebellos smiled widely.

"And as we all know my friends, old and new, the Road to Canagadi is dark and full of terror." That last was way too dramatically stated by Ebellos, yet indeed, the wild lands between the enlightened cities of the Ban-Ral-Sab were infested and plagued by bandits and creatures most dire.

"And for this reason mainly, I would not take no for an answer, my dear Zuan, I ask now, in all your company for Iskander here, to accompany you. For he is, as he says, a man who knows when courser hands are needed" at this Ebellos looked at Iskander. "Three weeks travel, is it? I believe so", Ebellos now spread a vellum map on the table. "Three weeks to Canagadi, three weeks to St. Hurdegilda's Keep. I will pay you two hundred rindods now, and two hundred rindods upon your safe return if you will accompany, and defend if need be, my friend Zuan here as he traverses his potential new trade route and in his dealing with the northerners. From what I heard of you Iskander, you have contacts everywhere, no? Now, Saano Dealonar here, also needs to reach his destination--that is, my sister--safely. So I thought--" Ebellos spread his arms satisfied with himself.

Why Ebellos was suddenly was so eager for Zuan to have this minor trade route, Coursi could not guess. Neither could Stryne guess why the corpulent trade-priest would care two tails about the disappeared spellwriters.

"The Divine Broker be blessed. What a serendipitous dinner this is." Ebellos concluded, stuffed the last of his berries into his mouth, all the while eye-ing his guests, one at a time, intently, and then rose, inviting them all to join him in his avian menagerie for spiced brandy.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:21:28 PM by Murometz »
Level 2
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
Saano's comment suggesting Nish should shy away from the danger of the trip, caused an amused smile to quirk on the Spellwriter's face. Of course Nisher Stryne was fully ready to blow off the entire suggestion of travelling to Canagadi and to St. Hurdegilda's Keep - though it wasn't danger which deterred him; simply, he had only just arrived in Abodroc, and the thought of chasing a school of dust-skulled Spellwriters on the small chance they had found something worth investigating was not worth it to Nish.
He was just ready to rudely voice this opinion too, but hesitated as Ebellos made mention of his sister being haunted. Nish paused, drumming his fingers on the table in thought - his frozen dessert forgotten and untouched.
Some things had a natural appeal to Nish. A haunting tweaked a particular part of his brain and he imagined that he felt a tingling sensation along his writing hand.
"Yes, yes..." He mentioned off-handedly, "Maybe a trip up to Canagadi would be a good idea." He listened in, his mouth slowly widening agape as the portly Trade Priest discussed Iskander's exorbitant (To Nisher)  wages. 
Well, the man seemed unnaturally eager to have Nisher along on this journey... Let's see just how much he wants him along. The shifty spellwriter glanced cautiously at Ebellos and then tried his luck; "Alas... I do not have the funds for such a trip so soon - I spent my savings just getting to Abodroc... If I could have but a small donation for supplies, I could perhaps help protect your... friend, here" Nisher nodded towards Zuan, although this time his attention lies solely on Ebellos to study his reaction to the request.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
Zuan tugged thoughtfully at his beard. Joachim's actions were puzzling. If indeed his sister was so afflicted, why would he send such a makeshift company to deal with the Silent Women? No doubt that particular order was known for its zeal, and if there were any suspicious of demonic possession the sister's life could be forfeit. Yet why not send a diplomatic delegation to deal with the abbess at St. Hurdegilda's? Why a thief, a exorcist, and a soldier? And why the insistence that he, a mere fellow merchant priest, accompany? No, something more was wrong.

He caught quickly up with Ebellos on the way to the menagerie. "Friend," he said quietly, laying a hand on his shoulder, "I appreciate your intercession on my behalf with the Bursars, and I am glad to help how I may be able with your sister. But you must tell me truly what is happening here. How can I try to make a trade when I know not what is in my own stock, eh?"

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1