llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Introducing a waffle, of a most chaotic variety.  (Read 1060 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline chaoticwaffle

• Apprentice
  • Chaos with a touch of waffly goodness
    • Awards
Introducing a waffle, of a most chaotic variety.
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
I am chaoticwaffle. I am still relatively new to the citadel. Though I have poked around for quite a bit I only put up a couple subs so far. Yet for some reason I haven't made an intro yet. Well I am now.
I deal pretty much solely in fantasy style. I occasionally do sci-fi, but not really.
As far as tabletop rpgs go I have played Pathfinder, DnD 3.5, and systems friends have made up. I have DMed(is that how you write it?) my own Pathfinder campaign once. Due to player unavailability it kinda died though. :'(
I haven't DMed anything else yet as I lack players, but I am currently on the hunt.
Pathfinder is my favorite so far, mainly because I know it the best. Though I am not shy to learn new systems.
I have played mmorpgs before as well. I played Everquest, Everquest 2, DDO, Perfect World, and Forsaken World. I have also played plenty of console and handheld rpgs. Not sure if the video game ones are important though.
I like coming up with ideas, worlds, people, organizations mostly. I don't do well with puzzle craft, they always seem to be too easy.
Anyway I'm happy to be apart of this community and I hope to be able to do a lot.
Some of my favorite quotes:
"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." Confucius
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." Confucius
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
 John 15:13
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
 Albert Einstein
 "It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."
 Mark Twain
 "Failure is success if we learned from it."
 Malcolm S. Forbes

"Roamer, wanderer, nomad, vagabond call me what you will, but I'll take my time anywhere. I'm free to speak my mind anywhere. And I'll never mind anywhere. Anywhere I may roam, where I lay my head is home."  Metallica

"My blood is cold as ice, or so I have been told. Show no emotion and it can destroy your soul." Disturbed

Offline chaoticwaffle

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Re: Introducing a waffle, of a most chaotic variety.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
Oh and I may look like an idiot in a second, but I gotta ask. I have looked at the how to link subs sub and I still don't get it. Is there a video or something I can watch showing me how to do this? Would someone do this? I just seem to have a hard time understanding the typed directions.
 Albert Einstein
 "It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."
 Mark Twain
 Malcolm S. Forbes

"Roamer, wanderer, nomad, vagabond call me what you will, but I'll take my time anywhere. I'm free to speak my mind anywhere. And I'll never mind anywhere. Anywhere I may roam, where I lay my head is home."  Metallica

"My blood is cold as ice, or so I have been told. Show no emotion and it can destroy your soul." Disturbed

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
Welcome to the Citadel! With luck, you'll fit right in. You might take a gander at some of the forum games we've had in the past, and see if that would suit your fancy, if you have trouble finding players in your own area.

As for a video, we don't have any at the moment, but I could make one up easily enough. That's an uncommonly wise suggestion, and just the sort of thing we've been wanting newbies to give for a while. Kudos for the idea, and I'll see what I can rustle up for you.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards 2013 System of the Year 2013 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Locations Guild Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »
caesar193's Guide to Linking Subs:

1. Ask yourself this question: is the link going to be in the forum (aka, here), or to another sub? From there, you can move on

2. If you want to write a sub and have a link to another sub, then there are multiple ways to do this. The first is to take a bracket (which are one of these things []) and put the sub you want to link's name in it. Like so: [chaotic waffles are chaotic]. The second thing you can do to link sub to sub is with the ID. The ID is a number that acts kind of like the sub's social security number. Anyway, it can be found on the left hand side of the page, with all the other sub info. It is right above the hits, and right below the amount of xp the sub has (which is under the amount of votes, which is under the shield with the sub's average score). You can take that number and put it in the bracket with some random text. Use a straight line (on my keyboard it looks like a straight line with a break in the middle, in case you can't find it on yours). Like so: [99999|chaotic waffles are tasty]. Instead of showing the subs name (which, to continue the previous example, would be 'chaotic waffles are chaotic'), it would show whatever you wanted it to show and still link to the sub.

A real life example: I am using my sub entitles Ariel Lorette. Its ID is 7129. So the first way: Ariel Lorette. And the second Ariel Lorette is an awesome sub which everyone should read and comment on. You can't see the mechanics, but you can see the after effects.

3. Linking from forums was slightly weird for me the first time I tried it. Instead of using single brackets like in above, you use double. So the above Ariel Lorette example used the same format inside the brackets as the sub to sub links, but used double brackets. In the chaotic waffle example, you do chaotic waffles are chaotic, and chaotic waffles are tasty.

I hope this helps. And welcome to the citadel. May your pen be filled with ink, and you sword be bloody from numerous successful battles against the evils (or goods, if you swing that way) of the universe!

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
--------------------------------------------------------
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
Welcome!
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Hall of Heroes 10
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
Mmmmmmm, waffles (Chaotic, chocolate chip, strawberry)
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 07:49:15 AM »
Greetings, chaoswaffle! I hope you and orderstrudel, my non-existent friend, can get along.

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline chaoticwaffle

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
caesar193's Guide to Linking Subs:

1. Ask yourself this question: is the link going to be in the forum (aka, here), or to another sub? From there, you can move on

2. If you want to write a sub and have a link to another sub, then there are multiple ways to do this. The first is to take a bracket (which are one of these things []) and put the sub you want to link's name in it. Like so: [chaotic waffles are chaotic]. The second thing you can do to link sub to sub is with the ID. The ID is a number that acts kind of like the sub's social security number. Anyway, it can be found on the left hand side of the page, with all the other sub info. It is right above the hits, and right below the amount of xp the sub has (which is under the amount of votes, which is under the shield with the sub's average score). You can take that number and put it in the bracket with some random text. Use a straight line (on my keyboard it looks like a straight line with a break in the middle, in case you can't find it on yours). Like so: [99999|chaotic waffles are tasty]. Instead of showing the subs name (which, to continue the previous example, would be 'chaotic waffles are chaotic'), it would show whatever you wanted it to show and still link to the sub.

A real life example: I am using my sub entitles Ariel Lorette. Its ID is 7129. So the first way: Ariel Lorette. And the second Ariel Lorette is an awesome sub which everyone should read and comment on. You can't see the mechanics, but you can see the after effects.

3. Linking from forums was slightly weird for me the first time I tried it. Instead of using single brackets like in above, you use double. So the above Ariel Lorette example used the same format inside the brackets as the sub to sub links, but used double brackets. In the chaotic waffle example, you do chaotic waffles are chaotic, and chaotic waffles are tasty.

I hope this helps. And welcome to the citadel. May your pen be filled with ink, and you sword be bloody from numerous successful battles against the evils (or goods, if you swing that way) of the universe!

Is that how t also make one sub to another sub? Like I noticed how some subs have red banners on the right side to other subs relating to themselves.
 Albert Einstein
 Mark Twain
 Malcolm S. Forbes

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Those are created using freetexts. You might not be able to add them at low levels...

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline chaoticwaffle

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
Those are created using freetexts. You might not be able to add them at low levels...

Darn. Than do I just submit my subs anyway? Also I did have an interesting question. Is it preferred that if I am going to be submitting a series of subs that I a) submit them one at a time as they are completed, or b) that I finish them all and then submit them all at once.
 Albert Einstein
 Mark Twain
 Malcolm S. Forbes

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »
On initial submission, any links are pulled out and shared on the right side like you mentioned. Freetext is another way to control what is on the right. Additionally, if when submitting they aren't added automatically, click on the "Suggest a Submission" above the comments. Putting in other subs there will link them to yours and put them on the right side of the page as well.

Check out http://strolen.com/viewing/Placeholder_Gods (quick look found this first). On the right side are linkbacks. If you click on any of those, you will find the sub you just left listed above the comments section. Go to the bottom of the one I linked again and you will see a list of suggested subs. All those will have linkbacks to the sub you are viewing. All that is controlled from that suggested sub input in that same area above the comments (use the sub number!) and you can develop a bunch of linkbacks like that....as long as they are all associated.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards Questor 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
This is a few years late, but....

:thumbup:Welcome! :thumbup:

Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 1
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4