Citadel Guilds > Necromancer's Cult

The Uncanny Valley and your minion.

(1/1)

Shadoweagle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Uncanny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

There is an idea in Robotics which I feel can cross over in most instances to the undead;

"Mori's original hypothesis states that as the appearance of a robot is made more human, a human observer's emotional response to the robot will become increasingly positive and empathic, until a point is reached beyond which the response quickly becomes that of strong revulsion. However, as the robot's appearance continues to become less distinguishable from that of a human being, the emotional response becomes positive once more and approaches human-to-human empathy levels"

"The uncanny (Ger. Das Unheimliche - "the opposite of what is familiar") is a Freudian concept of an instance where something can be familiar, yet foreign at the same time, resulting in a feeling of it being uncomfortably strange or uncomfortably familiar."

I think that this is the first thing which would be felt when dealing with undead humans. The way zombies move in a not quite human, shambling way. The way that Draculas shadow had a mind of its own. Things like this would put observers in an uncomfortable state of mind and would breach the Uncanny Valley - Something which should be human acting in nearly - but not quite - human manners.

Now, the undead that manages to breach the valley and come out on the other side will be something to be feared; because something evil which can make its victims naturally feel comfortable with its presence can end up doing the most depraved things to you when your guard is down.

MysticMoon:

--- Quote from: Shadoweagle on November 22, 2012, 03:58:23 AM ---I think that this is the first thing which would be felt when dealing with undead humans. The way zombies move in a not quite human, shambling way. The way that Draculas shadow had a mind of its own. Things like this would put observers in an uncomfortable state of mind and would breach the Uncanny Valley - Something which should be human acting in nearly - but not quite - human manners.

--- End quote ---

I like this explanation. I wonder if there's a way to portray this during a gaming session. Seems like a great way to run an undead-heavy campaign.

Just watched it last night so it's fresh in my mind, but it seems like the animatronics in Evil Dead 2 managed to harness that kind of creepiness when the possessed humans would shift from monstrous to almost human to fully human and back again.

--- Quote from: Shadoweagle on November 22, 2012, 03:58:23 AM ---Now, the undead that manages to breach the valley and come out on the other side will be something to be feared; because something evil which can make its victims naturally feel comfortable with its presence can end up doing the most depraved things to you when your guard is down.

--- End quote ---

Taken out of context, that describes anti-social behavior pretty well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version