llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Story Snippet  (Read 2037 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Story Snippet
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
I wrote this for Cela Ardonyth, but it didn't really fit within the main submission. However, I'm loathe to get rid of it, since I really like the scene. Thus, I place it here for you to enjoy.

"...Mother? I have a question to ask you," the young girl peeked her head into the library where her mother worked and studied.

The studious necromancer didn't look up from the book she was making notes within. "Go ahead child."

"When..." the girl trailed off for a second, then her voice firmed and she continued, "When a necromancer brings a dead body back to life, don't we classify it as an undead?"

"You know the answer to that, Cela. But that's not your real question, is it?"

Cela looked down, embarrassed that her question had been so transparent. "No, mother."

"You want to know if you are an undead." It was not a question.

"Yes, mother."

The older woman put down her book and turned in her chair to look at her daughter, half-hidden behind the doorway. "The answer is simple, child. Do you have a heartbeat?"

"Yes."

"Does blood flow through your veins? Does your body produce heat? Do you need food to survive?"

"Yes."

"Are you bound to my will, as the menial servants I raise are?"

"No."

"Of course you aren't. You wouldn't get into near as much trouble if you were. Do the spells of detection that resonate around necromantic energies notice you?"

Cela tilted her head. "I...I don't know."

Her mother laughed, head tilted to the ceiling. "They do not. I've cast them a great many times, and they've never given even a hint of your presence." Her gaze fell and met her daughters. "So then, if you don't have any of the qualities of an undead, are you an undead?"

"No, mother."

"Excellent answer. Now go back to your studies."

"Yes, mother."
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --