llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dwarf Anti Dragon Fighters  (Read 80 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline The_Gekko_State

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Dwarf Anti Dragon Fighters
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »
So last night I was flipping through a copy of dragons of faerun pdf trying to decide if I wanted to read it and it hit me. Shouldn't dwarves have a special task force for defending against dragons. Kind of a monster hunter video game/ attack on Titan idea. Here are my rough notes. Thought I'd share and see what else we can come up with.

Special dwarf forces that take on dragons.  And some other high level targets.
Trained to use special weapons like spear and chain guns to lower the flying beasts. Or once on ground to keep them on ground and chain them up for killing stroke teams to move in.
Shield teams to negate the effect of the dragon's fire. Laced with alchemical substances to reduce flames and heat. Shields mechanical that they fold out or fan out for easy storage and use. Light but heavy duty. Soldiers can train for a whole life time to perfect the shield.  Most start as shield bearers and work their ways to other positions.
All positions are held with great respect from all dwarves.  When in times of great trouble, involving monster, they are first sought and sent into the field.  But only select few make the ranks.  Many join when recruitment is opened but only about 1/5 make it in. 
The killing stroke team are the final cutting stroke. Trained in getting to the vital areas and dealing massive damage to the dragons. By any means necessary.  Teams are formed up of four members. Each trained in a different weapon.  Each trained to go after a different point or to assist the team leader in getting to the vital point.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Dwarf Anti Dragon Fighters
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »
I wrote a 5 paragraph reply off the cuff on my stupid phone and timed out posting it  :budo:

Anyhoo...

I can the see the shield-teams as a stacked pavisade, of enormous shields, protecting waves of dwarves. Specialized (and strong!) dwarves are trained for years to work in unison, like a moving pangolin or armadillo.

I can see a "Belly Brigade" shock-team amidst the killing stroke squads. Suicidal, berserker dwarves who literally attempt to rip open the downed beast's underside/belly, releasing it's foul wave of viscera, blood, acid bile. They wade in, and continue slicing and dicing...some even make it out alive again.

Don't forget the long-distance trebuchet brigades, while the dragon is still air-borne

Will add more thoughts soon!

Also, you have inadvertently began your Dwarven Guild quest by posting a dwarven-related thought in the forums. Congrats! :D You're getting closer and closer to Dwarfdom, whether you like it or not  :hypno:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:48:04 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline The_Gekko_State

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
I wrote a 5 paragraph reply off the cuff on my stupid phone and timed out posting it  :budo:

Anyhoo...

I can the see the shield-teams as a stacked pavisade, of enormous shields, protecting waves of dwarves. Specialized (and strong!) dwarves are trained for years to work in unison, like a moving pangolin or armadillo.

I can see a "Belly Brigade" shock-team amidst the killing stroke squads. Suicidal, berserker dwarves who literally attempt to rip open the downed beast's underside/belly, releasing it's foul wave of viscera, blood, acid bile. They wade in, and continue slicing and dicing...some even make it out alive again.

Don't forget the long-distance trebuchet brigades, while the dragon is still air-borne

Will add more thoughts soon!

Also, you have inadvertently began your Dwarven Guild quest by posting a dwarven-related thought in the forums. Congrats! :D You're getting closer and closer to Dwarfdom, whether you like it or not  :hypno:

Sorry to hear about your phone problems. Hopefully you'll be able to remember it all.

There would definitely be some kind of berserkers that would run around getting the attention of the dragon.

Haha maybe you'll make a dwarf out of me eventually.

Offline The_Gekko_State

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
Just thought of maybe reconnaissance teams sent to the surrounding areas to watch for activity and report back. Possibly reporting back with birds as early warning system.