llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Creating a race of shark people  (Read 1369 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Creating a race of shark people
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:37:12 AM »
Long ago, on the Citadel, I created a series of subs that alluded to a race of shark  like aquatic beings that I called the Shura . I belief that the time has come to devote an entire  sub of their own to them. However, I wish to distinguish them from the other ocean dwelling monsters that abound in the Citadel. Rather than being merely demonic beings that prey on sailors, I wish to depict a people in tune with oceanic ecosystems and who despise the destruction wrought on fish-shoals by uncontrolled on commercial fishing. Moreover, their society is also fragmented along bitter gender and clan divisions with the subordinate males agitating against the tyranny of their ruthless and oppressive female leaders. This gendered Shura caste system has suffered due to contact with more male-dominated cultures. Only war against non-Shura like humans provide the male warriors with a sense of superiority that is otherwise lacking  in their daily lives. War against humans and other ocean dwelling denizens also  enables the Shura to consolidate  themselves into ever larger federations and the beginning of a nascent Shura empire is emerging. Although male Shura are still inferior to female ones, even the lowliest males now own slaves taken from other sea-dwelling sentient races. This has gone a considerable extent towards alleviating tensions within Shura society itself since they belief that the deity Ma-O has favoured the Shura above all other races.  Is there any way that I could pull this off in a manner that doesn’t induce boredom? Thamk for reading this.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: Creating a race of shark people
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
Instead of having them being at war with themselves over a caste system, let the Shura be at peace with the violence that lives inside of them, they don't understand the concepts of war or hatred. Eating lesser creatures isn't war, its just the way things are. The strong consume the weak, the weak consume the dead. War is strange, the fish dont fight among themselves, the whales don't and neither do the Shura. Mating, eating yes, but not conflict for the purpose of dominance

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
Or you can go the entire other way with it. Because they have been introduced to a form of slavery and they are the beneficiaries of it, the males have slowly been making their own communities outside the normal swimming patterns of their race. Over time they have become more comfortable with the idea and have gone so far as to enslave females in order to breed their new society. The Shura know about this society but they are difficult to capture and/or find. It is like the underground of a corrupt city. Even the male Shura still in mainstream society do much to protect their brothers as they feel the oppression they get from the females is unwarranted. Again, the ability to master another race has brought them to this understanding and they are acting on it in an extreme way. It may be the climate for a shift from female dominance to male dominance. A rather pivotal and disruptive time for the race.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
Instead of having them being at war with themselves over a caste system, let the Shura be at peace with the violence that lives inside of them, they don't understand the concepts of war or hatred. Eating lesser creatures isn't war, its just the way things are. The strong consume the weak, the weak consume the dead. War is strange, the fish dont fight among themselves, the whales don't and neither do the Shura. Mating, eating yes, but not conflict for the purpose of dominance
Ah. So if I've understood you correctly, the biological wiring of the  males itself dosen't enable them to understand that they're actually being oppressed? btw, thanks a lot for responding .

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:29:49 PM by Scrasamax »
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »
Or you can go the entire other way with it. Because they have been introduced to a form of slavery and they are the beneficiaries of it, the males have slowly been making their own communities outside the normal swimming patterns of their race. Over time they have become more comfortable with the idea and have gone so far as to enslave females in order to breed their new society. The Shura know about this society but they are difficult to capture and/or find. It is like the underground of a corrupt city. Even the male Shura still in mainstream society do much to protect their brothers as they feel the oppression they get from the females is unwarranted. Again, the ability to master another race has brought them to this understanding and they are acting on it in an extreme way. It may be the climate for a shift from female dominance to male dominance. A rather pivotal and disruptive time for the race.

This is an excellent idea actually. As with sharks, sexual dimorphism exists among the Shura, with females being typically larger and smater than females. Perhaps these males could by genetic aberrations that possess an intellect equal to that of the females. As you suggested, by successfuly enslaving other races, they have become aware of their own power, leading them to form their own splinter society. Thanks a lot for having responded.   

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
Ah. So if I've understood you correctly, the biological wiring of the  males itself dosen't enable them to understand that they're actually being oppressed? btw, thanks a lot for responding .

If its biologically wired into them to be subservient to the females, then the males aren't being oppressed.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity