llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Call to arms- Writers/Independent critic/editor wanted!  (Read 1774 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Excursions from the Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Call to arms- Writers/Independent critic/editor wanted!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 04:31:05 PM »
You think we should ditch this project? We did just try and jump right in. When you get time you can set us up a proper ePub.  At least we got some writing out of it.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »
Goals for this epub.

1)   It will be a learning experience.  It would be nice to develop a real Strolen Ezine that publishes fiction.  This ePub will help troubleshoot that process.
2)   It will be focused on representing the Citadel’s fiction writer. Citadel has a lot of writers, they write different things. I hope that it will represent the diversity of the citadel’s interests and styles.  This is not a review process. This is self publication.  So what every part of yourself you want to publish is fine. You just need to have confidence in your work.
3)   Help the writer express themselves clearly.  The ebook sub group should not judge whether a story or poem is good or bad in this case. But only, is it clear where the writer want clarity and enigmatic where the writer wants mystery. 
4)   It will advertise the citadel. Hopefully this will be another way the community can reach out.
5) Test the waters, see if we have an audience.

Note that making money is not a primary goal.  There might be money, but more importantly there will be a finished product. 

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »
We could do another one at the same time. A project Scras could respect.

Pre-industrial dwarves murder mysteries. Go!

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 02:21:25 AM »
Guys, can we not jump so far ahead? Axle, isn't you who's the one who's adamant that we keep this at the level of a 'potluck enterprise' for now so why are you and Scras jumping into themes etc.? (I'm with Longspeak on his stance on themes, I simply can't write to a theme. But I won't say I'll walk out on this enterprise if themes are in but just get ready for very slow progress from me, slower than ant-crawling pace I'm progressing by now.)
Anyway, Longspeak has asked me whether a serial is okay and I just told him that now this is a completely rule-less enterprise (I guess that has been the status even before this discussion b/w you and Scras came up) and go right ahead.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 03:39:05 AM »
Jumping ahead?

We want a finished product, that's what I want. If it can be marketed, if it can promote the Citadel, that's a bonus.

But we need to do something good, something worthy of not just our time, but the time of those who read it. If we are just going to do a claptrap of randomness wedged into a single ePub it looks bad, it looks amateurish, and it reflects poorly on the Citadel. Whatever we do, whatever it is, it needs to be coherent.

The movie Heavy Metal followed a single dingus through multiple stories set to awesome animation and a killer soundtrack. Aside from a glowing green rock called the Loc-Nar, the stories had nothing to do with each other, but it was the dingus that pulled them together.

As for being able to write to a theme, I give you this look:

I'm not dusting off the Writing textbook and talking about writing bildungsroman stories, or dropping heavy lit criticals like the denouement or stories about ingenues.

If you can write genre fantasy, that's enough.

That's what people want.

Serials are cool. Yes.

As for Pre-Industrial Dwarf Murder Mysteries...

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Golden Creator 5 Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 06:51:03 AM »
You know, I like this idea - write something for a predefined topic, a series of tales or related articles.
It would even be a good excuse to get writing :)
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 07:32:54 AM »
@Scras, I know there're valid points to this theme idea but this frowning upon on 'jumping ahead' really comes from Axle. I don't want to engage in finger pointing but he's the one adamant that we just concentrate on the biz of writing at the moment and worry about the selection and marketing process later, much later. Also, when I was reading the exchange b/w you and Axle, it came across to me that the central msg is this: Scras is walking way from this venture b/c he wanted a theme to the epub and Axle supplied him an answer based on the current stories already written/being written which he found dissatisfactory (if you guys hadn't jumped so far ahead, I would have come into the discussion and told you that instead of Axle's Greek term, we could have 'shape-shifter' as a common ground for the two stories written by me and Axle. It's a term easily understandable for most who read fantasy and granted it doesn't have as close a link to the central theme for our 2 stories- in fact only tangential while Axle's Greek term is spot on. But I think shape-shifter is really on par with some of the themes you mentioned like dwarves, orcs, dragons etc. I would bet that a collection of short stories with dragons as a central theme for example will all star dragons but quite a few of them would just have dragons as a kind of tangential thing, some bit of awesome myth etc.). So to me, your declaration of walking away from this after a discussion about themes just seems absurd and bordering on insanity (I don't want to say derogatory words but that is seriously my impression).

Back to more useful talk, I don't dislike this idea of themes for itself because as I said elsewhere, I do like a 'clean product' but as Axle persuaded me to, I think the current priority is put out more stories among the epub writer's group and then we can pick the best. Not cripple ourselves before we have found the momentum to get into writing by narrowing things down to a 'theme'.

The main reason that I'm 'against' themes is because I'm really not that good with short stories. I keep thinking up all these epic stories ala LoR style. Add a theme on top of that, I simply won't be able to participate in this venture due to the slow pace that I would be progressing at (arguably not a problem for the initial few issues but not stable if we ever make this venture into something like a ezine released quarterly). It would be just like a Citadel quest for me minus the ability to retro participate.

Human (Level 2)

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
I do hope that if we just write good stories, sincere stories that we want to write, then people will read them. But I still feel the focus should be on the writing.

Scras wants to do his own thing for people, that is fine.  He will benefit from our experience in this venture. 

If you want to know the audience from a different angle, The Depauw University Department of Science Fiction studies maintains gather demographic information on who pays for science fiction and fantasy literature.  It can be accessed through their website. 

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:47 AM »
I can get behind shape-shifter.

Or Post-industrial Dwarven Murder Mystery! Who is with me?

Offline fantomx11

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 08:28:35 AM »
And Avatar, and it's original version, Pocahontas, are both listed.

I just wanted to say that the original version of Avatar is, in fact, Fern Gully with a dash of Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas was late to the show on that one.  :lol:

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
WHERE IN THE @!#$ING HELL DID THIS WALKING AWAY THING @!#$ING COME FROM!

At no point have I said ANYTHING about walking away.
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »

I have intent on sitting out. The funny thing about your answer is that you actually named the trope information I was looking for, it is specifically named Going Native

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoingNative

And Avatar, and it's original version, Pocahontas, are both listed.

I haven't written anything because we don't have any sort of central vision to the ePub other than the Rosie the Riveter pose.

The Going Native trope works fine, but I would say that to pull everything together we should pick a common element, and the obvious one is the race involved, such as Going Native: Orcs and Humans, and there could be stories about orcs raised human, humans going Dances with Wolves with a warband, and so forth. Orcs, elves, etc, whatever.

It touches on race relations, and if you highlight differences in culture between sexes it can become gender relevant, etc.
This post makes it sound like you sitting this out.

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
@Scras: okay, maybe I read this wrong but you can understand why I would think it absurd and be upset if after a discussion of themes between two of our most treasured writers, one walks out on us for the trivial reason I described above, right?

Human (Level 2)

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »
I thought scras was taking his ball and going home too. On a retread maybe there was a typo

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »
Sitting out != Walking away.

My take was he was not submitting anything to V1. Nothing more.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline fantomx11

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 10:11:20 AM »
This kind of talk is poor for recruitment. I would suggest the discussion and bad feelings gets moved to the private forum so we aren't airing our dirty laundry to the entire world.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 10:16:13 AM »
Who has bad feelings? No divas here.

those of us that like to write will just write, while the writers can work out a theme

Might I suggest post apocalyptic, Minotaur, underdog stories

Too narrow?

Offline fantomx11

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »
Maybe not bad feelings per se, but there was an all caps post laced with pseudo-expletives earlier. I'm just saying that internal cobflicts and struggles, and even discussions about themes, might best be left out of sight of the public and a united front based on the results of those discuasions be displayed to those we are trying to recruit.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »
Typo, it should read 'I have no intention of sitting out'

My apologies there.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
Those were some impactful two letters :P

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
Those were some impactful two letters :P

Understatement of the month

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »
Okay, drama over, we're all happy again. So do we have new joiners? Echo maybe who wanted to write to themes?

Human (Level 2)

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 11:21:22 PM »
Why is a theme such a major issue?

I can't write that! Write what? Nothing has been decided.

I don't get it.

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
Why is a theme such a major issue?

It isn't, I just feel a little like handicapped if I have to write within a particular theme now, no matter how broad it is. For example, give me a theme as broad as elf, dwarf, orc or dragon, I swear I'm gonna come up with nothing b/c these aren't the things that attracted me to fantasy. But if you say "hey, guys, for marketing purposes, we should eventually make a theme to tie a particular epub together" then yeah, sure. You know what I mean?

To be honest, when I see a discussion on themes b/w you and Axle come up in this thread, I had an urge to ask you two to move this to the pulp fiction thread where I opened up a specific thread to talk about themes (I was talking abt more broad stroke theme at that point, fantasy and sci-fi epub and alternating publication vs fantasy and sci-fi mixed together) cos this is for recruitment purposes but then well, I didn't want to sound too territorial.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:01:01 AM by Moonlake »

Human (Level 2)

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 12:23:30 AM »
That was passably said.