llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Time Freetext Friday  (Read 2755 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline chilled

• Insanity Incarnate
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
Time Freetext Friday
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »
I took a look at the Freetext Friday thread and inspiration struck.

An idea began to form which I then expanded upon. Until now.

I'm having difficulty giving the item a decent background. I don't want to tap into all the usual clichés.

This is the submission: http://strolen.com/viewing/Rivers_Coin

I first posted in the comments section below the actual submission, but as Mourngrymn pointed out there exists a part of the forum for help with ideas and submissions.

What can I do, maybe there are a few of you out there with some good ideas?

Credit will be given in the submission itself, possibility of a co-authored sub?
Chilled

Offline Forganthus

• Apprentice
  • DM, Biochemist, and Boxer.
  • Awards Golden Creator 2013 Plot of the Year 2013 Sub of the Year 2012 Plot of the Year Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Time Freetext Friday
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:19:03 AM »
Stuff coins are associated with: Wealth, chance, and greed.  None of these things have to deal with time.  And it's got the face of the goddess of mercy and truth. . . none of these things blend, but that can be a good thing!  It's a chance to break some cliches.  Here's my idea.

The coin is made when Aliya petitions Hades (or his equivalent) to return a worthy person to life.  If Hades refuses to return a qualifying* person to life even though he is divinely obligated to, he may give Aliya two coins instead--the coins that the dead person used to pay their passage over the river Styx.  These gold coins are empowered as sort of a consolation prize to Aliya (Hades' knows that he is in the wrong by keeping a soul).  The coin has Aliya's face on it.

Each coin can be used once, an only a person who died less than nine hours ago.  It sends the person back to nine minutes** before they died.  They will have memories of their death (although no one else will), and they will find the coin in their pocket now that they are given this second chance.  Except now, the coin with have Hades' face on it.  Assuming the person survives, they will have a nice souvenir--the coin is no longer magical.

*Qualifying for resurection = died before completing their destiny in a way that they had no control over or blame for.  And meets the setting-specific criteria for resurrection spells.

**Nine days is way too much time, methinks.  Too easy for people to abuse.
"Can I use a repair check to strap the trash can to my head?"

Offline chilled

• Insanity Incarnate
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 05:39:55 AM »
Stuff coins are associated with: Wealth, chance, and greed.  None of these things have to deal with time.  And it's got the face of the goddess of mercy and truth. . . none of these things blend, but that can be a good thing!  It's a chance to break some cliches.  Here's my idea.

The coin is made when Aliya petitions Hades (or his equivalent) to return a worthy person to life.  If Hades refuses to return a qualifying* person to life even though he is divinely obligated to, he may give Aliya two coins instead--the coins that the dead person used to pay their passage over the river Styx.  These gold coins are empowered as sort of a consolation prize to Aliya (Hades' knows that he is in the wrong by keeping a soul).  The coin has Aliya's face on it.

Each coin can be used once, an only a person who died less than nine hours ago.  It sends the person back to nine minutes** before they died.  They will have memories of their death (although no one else will), and they will find the coin in their pocket now that they are given this second chance.  Except now, the coin with have Hades' face on it.  Assuming the person survives, they will have a nice souvenir--the coin is no longer magical.

*Qualifying for resurection = died before completing their destiny in a way that they had no control over or blame for.  And meets the setting-specific criteria for resurrection spells.

**Nine days is way too much time, methinks.  Too easy for people to abuse.

Some excellent ideas there Forganthus.

I did at first think to have Alira be a god of chance, but that has been done to death. As for being a goddess of mercy and linking that to time; mercy can also mean giving a second chance. If that makes sense.

I don't want to tap into all the old clichés.

I think I can substitute Hades with another god with the same role.

Am I allowed to copy what you have given me, with a few minor changes?
Chilled

Offline Forganthus

• Apprentice
  • DM, Biochemist, and Boxer.
  • Awards Golden Creator 2013 Plot of the Year 2013 Sub of the Year 2012 Plot of the Year Lifeforms Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:50:08 AM »
I have holes in my socks; ideas are my only wealth.  Take any ideas you want.  That's what they're there for.
"Can I use a repair check to strap the trash can to my head?"

Offline chilled

• Insanity Incarnate
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:58:17 AM »
I have holes in my socks; ideas are my only wealth.  Take any ideas you want.  That's what they're there for.

Thank you, kind sir :)
Chilled

Offline chilled

• Insanity Incarnate
  • Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
Ok, I have taken your ideas and tried to implement them.

Let me know what you think.

I have credited you with a co-author. If you feel the need to edit something, ore would like to add to it, please do.

Many thanks for your ideas Forganthus.

Edit: Submission is still set to 'request advice' if you think it's ready for voting let me know and I'll set it to normal. Or you can too if you wish.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:30:08 AM by chilled »
Chilled