llamaenterhear

Author Topic: What does Eldritch Horror mean to you?  (Read 545 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Questor NPC Guild
    • Excursions from the Citadel
    • Awards
What does Eldritch Horror mean to you?
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:03:46 AM »
Going to the dictionaries tells us "Eldritch" (adjective) means, 'strange and sinister', 'weird and malevolent' or just plain 'eerie'. Horror (noun) can mean an object that induces horror: something repulsive or terrifying. By these definitions, if you use the term "Eldritch Horror" to describe a style of writing or storytelling it would be synonymous with the descriptions of gothic literature.

Gothic: of or relating to a style of fiction characterized by the use of desolate or remote settings and macabre, mysterious, or violent incidents

Clearly Lovecraft was writing in the gothic tradition, and since he tended to be a 'teller' not a 'shower' he used every synonym for strange the English language has. But I feel that the current cultural definition of Eldritch Horror is something more specific than just something eerie and terrifying. Has the ghost of Lovecraft claimed the adjective Eldritch as his own? I would really like to hear the opinions of other Strolenesians on this topic.

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Lifeforms Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: What does Eldritch Horror mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »
Pure Lovecraft.
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »
Elric of Melnibone perhaps?

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
To me, Eldritch carries the connotation of wrongness. The tentacles and nameless horrors are just thematic elements and arc words. Something that is eldritch is wrong, it's a person with a gaping head wound smiling and giving you a cheerful hello wave, or a girl bending over to pick a flower and her knees move the opposite direction from what they should. For a long time, the tentacle was an alien fixture, a boneless writhing thing, something of horror. It's now so prevalent in hentai and anime that it's lost it's shock and horror.

Eldritch is something that you feel in your gut, something you see but you can't believe. It is the supernatural, and hyper sensitivity to the mundane, or a sense of perspective knocked so far out of whack that grains of sands are the size of mountains, or galaxies can be used as sprinkles on a cake.

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 01:56:18 AM »
Eldritch makes me think of something ancient AND otherworldly. As for horror, I'm always leaning towards psychological horror being the more severe form as opposed to something you can visibly see. Just my personal association but maybe it would help someone. *shrugs*

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire