llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Alleged Plagiarism.  (Read 1413 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Dionysus

• Deranged Scribe
  • Apprentice
  • Bemused
    • Awards
Alleged Plagiarism.
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
As many of you by now know. Silveressa has made it his mission to denounce me a fraud.

Which I am not. I clearly stated in the thread that has apparently vanished, that I never claimed any of the works were mine. As for the comment, which if memory serves me correctly is your sole piece of 'evidence' if that's who you so desperately want to call it. It was not meant to lay claim to being the original authorof those submissions, merely a way of showing what I like, support and am interested in.

I fully admit to these submissions not being my own work. I was having trouble incorporating links to their original host sites and authors. For some reason this feature is broken, or I am not using it correctly.

I was in the process of creating a thread here on the forum asking for help with this matter when my email gave me alerts on my submissions.

As for being accused of plagiarism, do you really think that 'anyone' would be so stupid as to copy everything, word for word even, and pass it off as their own. The chances of other people, possibly even the original author reading it, are very high.

I am aware that proper citation of sources is needed in order to post other peoples work.

Instead there now seems to be a witch hnt going on, everything has been removed. Which I can understand, I would have appreciated some form of warnings or a chance to speak with site administrators.

Perhaps this can be resolved without further pain.

As I stated in the other thread, which is now missing. I asked for feedback, in order to add to what has already been created.

I hope that this can be resolved quickly.

My apologies also for the confusion that I have caused. It was not intentional.
"I think, therefore I am."

Note: Never talk to me about mines. I mean it.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Alleged Plagiarism.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
Hey there Dionysus,

Live and let live is our motto here. No need to apologize. There is no witch hunt, no one wants to denounce you as a fraud or  alienate you in any way. We're happy you joined the site!

You can't really blame Siveressa though (she not he) for calling this out to our attention.

It just seems strange that you're "asking for feedback" on other people's articles from elsewhere. Even if you couldnt figure out the linking aspect of it all, a simple note in comments or the actual submission--"this is an article i saw on website x written by author y"--or something, would have been appropriate and easy.

Another insight into the strange thoughts and ideas that cross my mind. That's all for today. My desire to write has been sated for now.

Not to get into any semantics, but that sentence ^ certainly does imply its your own work. Otherwise, why not say, "thats all for today, my desire to copy/paste is sated for now" :)

Also, in Gaming on a Budget submission, you commented,
"The idea came to me because I've had to make do with only my benefits....."

Well, the idea didn't really come to you, its someone else's work, but ok, whatever.

Lastly, was this submission necessary? Title: "Kittens", Main Body of Sub: "FU". C'mon, really?

I think we can all agree to let this go and move on! Going forward, just please let readers know if it is original material or from somewhere/someone else.

Let us indeed resolve this w/o any further pain, as you say.

*POOF* all is resolved.

Don't feel like you're not welcome, you most certainly are! Looking forward to further ideas and interesting articles from you!
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
As a published author myself, when I see someone making multiple submissions, without giving credit to the original author so that it appears the work and effort is their own, it naturally offends me.

Regardless of your alleged true intentions, without listing crediting the original author/website the material is from, (and with the previously mentioned comments) is is extremely easy for anyone to draw the conclusion these are indeed your own original works and then when finding out they are not, act upon this new information.

As for why I reacted in such a manner? Strolen's is my home, and my home and it's integrity/reputation and prosperity is important to me, and as one of the admins I take it upon myself to make sure our reputation is maintained, and problems are dealt with swiftly.

I openly admit I more readily bear my teeth then others, and have a much lower tolerance for transgressions and troublemakers then my fellow administrators; but such is my way. Other admins have a lighter touch, and together we all manage to keep things running rather smoothly, even if our individual approaches are different.  :wink:

As for my "mission to denounce you" it was nothing personal, I saw what I concluded is/was plagiarized content from another site and acted upon it as I felt the situation warranted. However, now the matter is resolved so the further discussion/debate over it is indeed moot; and I am happy to let the matter rest in peace and move forward.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:04:40 AM by Silveressa »
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10 Master Questor Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »
Simply put.

If you put your name on the By line, then it better be By you.

A submission that collects attributed links would be perfectly valid, ideally with editorializing about each link.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline OmegaDraco

• Apocalyptic GM
  • Apprentice
  • Forager of Interesting and Useless Tidbits
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
Dionysus,

Please do not be discouraged or insulted. I encourage you to continue contributing and participating. When I first began contributing to the Citadel, I was quickly pounced on by well-meaning critics who made me feel about 2 feet tall. After rolling with a few punches, I came to realize that though Strolenites have a lot of bite, everyone on this site has good intentions. Now, all of my subs are to help me flesh out and improve my ideas and to look for those few insightful gems among the many pointed comments. I changed the way I write, and I feel that I have improved from it.

So, long story short, forget the past, ignore comments you don't like, and please continue working towards a better Citadel.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof." - V for Vendetta

Offline Dionysus

• Deranged Scribe
  • Apprentice
  • Bemused
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
Thank you for your responses.

Now that things are calmer, I would like to ask for help in linking the submissions with the web pages from which they originated. Is it possible for the submissions that I had submitted to be restored, with links?

I cannot say enough how much I regret that which has happened, and hope to a smoother road in the future, if this place holds one for me that is.

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
Now that things are calmer, I would like to ask for help in linking the submissions with the web pages from which they originated. Is it possible for the submissions that I had submitted to be restored, with links?

Contact Strolen about the restoration of the challenged subs, he can explain the process clearly.

(I recommend you also contact the original authors and get their permission to re-post their work before just putting it back up, since they may not wish to see their stories/articles redistributed by a third party without their knowledge, or at all.)

I cannot say enough how much I regret that which has happened, and hope to a smoother road in the future, if this place holds one for me that is.

As I said before, I'm more then content to let the matter rest and move forward.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:39:06 PM by Silveressa »
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline Dionysus

• Deranged Scribe
  • Apprentice
  • Bemused
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
What time is Strolen most likely to be online?

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »
You can just send him a PM re: the submissions, and he'll take care of it, when he has some time.

Cheers.
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »
Tell you what. In the spirit of something that has been discussed by the admins, Di... (which is completely separate from this and something totally different.) if you want to submit a unique and original sub create by yourself then send me a PM and let me know. I will help with whatever you have in mind and help bring it to light. I am an experienced strolentie, sometime retired semi productive. I will be more than happy to help with you writing something up and submitting it.

My subs run the gamut of subjects so I have some experience in writing it all. I'm not the best but I've been around. If not, well the offer is there.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia