llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Writing Practices.  (Read 664 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Dionysus

• Deranged Scribe
  • Apprentice
  • Bemused
    • Awards
Writing Practices.
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
Every writer has his/her own way of creating.

A certain way of doing things, keeping themselves motivated.

Originally this was meant to be an article/scroll. For everyone to add their own. But I figured that might not work so well so instead I decided to start a discussion here, on the forums.

How I do things.

I have been writing for quite some time now. My hopes of becoming a recognised author ever diminishing with age. So now I mainly write for myself, and the odd commission.

I've been lurking here for almost two years now and figured it was time to show myself, and brave these waters instead of following the horde. Willing to share what lies tucked away in my mind.

I tend to write quite a lot during the day. Having not much else to do, being on incapacity benefit (please no hate, I get enough of that already) because of my injuries. Which make civilian life a chore.

While working on my newest book. I also like to jot down any ideas that spring to mind, getting as many details on to paper as possible. I usually keep them in a separate notepad, a very random collection of mental vomit. Mst of which I will try to tidy up and submit here for your viewing pleasure, or disgust. Depending on the theme  :twisted:

My main focuses are Science-Fiction, Fantasy, and Modern Fantasy.

Now to you, how do you write? What are your influences/favourite themes. I've gotten terribly off topic I now realise, but hey, whatever.

Discuss!

"I think, therefore I am."

Note: Never talk to me about mines. I mean it.

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: Writing Practices.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
That's hard to say... how do I write? That's like asking me how do I breathe? Sometimes it is well thought out. I get an idea and I think about it for a few days and then slowly as if taking small long even breaths I begin to jot down my ideas. Not always starting in the front but not always ending at the end either. Then sometimes I just get off from running a 15k and I write as I would with short fast slurps of air as if the last one may be my last. Its a hodge podge of difference and depending on how well I am comfortable with my subject depends on how I write. I mainly write fantasy (high fantasy, medieval fantasy, which ever fantasy I can garner a thought to.)

So yeah, I don't know.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Re: Writing Practices.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
To describe my writing style can be summed up in one word; madness.

Most of what I write here at the Citadel is not carefully constructed or poured over for errors, it is the ejecta of an imagination. If I don't write these things down they start to crowd up inside of my head and then the insomnia hits.

I prefer military, sci-fi and I'm delving into strange lit (Cthulhu) and have heard of this thing called Bizarro literature but havent gotten into it yet

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity