llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Call of Captain-thulhu  (Read 248667 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: The Call of Captain-thulhu
« Reply #2875 on: January 29, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »
Happy birthday to me.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2876 on: January 29, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
Happy day of birth, Chaos!
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2877 on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:23 AM »
I want to like Game of Thrones and really I should. It has everything in it I like, it has dragons, political intrigue, war, well developed characters, and thanks to HBO no shortage of tits.

But God help me I just don't care about the show.

I loved the first season, but then all the strong characters were axed (some literally) and I all but completely lost interest in the series.

On a related note, I haven't read so much as more than the first 60 pages of the first book, but had the same reaction there as well.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2878 on: April 22, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
Funny you say that. I watched season 1 three times. First time with rapt attention, couldn't wait till season 2. Second and third watching were with friends playing a drinking game so sort of (a lot) drunk. But we loved it.

I have watched maybe 4 episodes of season 2 and keep meaning to watch them but haven't found the time. Meanwhile I have watched plenty of other TV so time is not an excuse. I am not sure why it doesn't call me but I want to watch it but I don't feel drawn to it if that makes sense.

Books, I have always been meh with them. There are some AWESOME mind numbing scenes, don't get me wrong, but as a complete series there are many that I enjoy much more.

I will watch them, if only for Tyrion and Sansa, but they are not on my priority list for some reason. I find myself watching Criminal Minds instead...which isn't even that great but takes my attention and the kids can watch it.

Anyway, I agree but I don't understand why.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2879 on: April 22, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »
Funny you say that. I watched season 1 three times. First time with rapt attention, couldn't wait till season 2. Second and third watching were with friends playing a drinking game so sort of (a lot) drunk. But we loved it.

I have watched maybe 4 episodes of season 2 and keep meaning to watch them but haven't found the time. Meanwhile I have watched plenty of other TV so time is not an excuse. I am not sure why it doesn't call me but I want to watch it but I don't feel drawn to it if that makes sense.

Books, I have always been meh with them. There are some AWESOME mind numbing scenes, don't get me wrong, but as a complete series there are many that I enjoy much more.

I will watch them, if only for Tyrion and Sansa, but they are not on my priority list for some reason. I find myself watching Criminal Minds instead...which isn't even that great but takes my attention and the kids can watch it.

Anyway, I agree but I don't understand why.

There were so many fascinating characters in the first season, they made me want to watch the series. Kal Drogo and the Dothraki were amazing, and his conquest of Daenrys was captivating. Likewise, the banter and politics between Ned and King Robert drew me in. I like Tyrion, but now it feels like he's all that's left, and lacking strong characters to foil off of, he's less The Imp and more Peter Dinklage and he's playing the same character as he does in other shows I've seen him in, such as Threshold

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2880 on: April 22, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
<getting threshold as we speak>

Level 3

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2881 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
<getting threshold as we speak>

One season, 13 episodes and Carla Gucino or whatever her name is does well. It also has Dinklage as a womanizing genius polyglot and Brent Spiner as the easily offended by spineless doctor

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2882 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
Blasphemers, the lot of you.

Jaime Lannister is misunderstood. Sure, he threw an innocent child from a tower, for spying on him while he porked his sister, but hey, who hasn't? We've all been there, am I right?

Now he's lost his hand, been forced to drink horse piss, and is falling in love with a giant lesbian.

Touche, Fates. But now he's back in the balance, kay?
Strolenati Guild – Adept-Seeker
Dwarven Guild – Ironball Steelbutter
Level 2
STR: 4 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3
Authentic Strolenite™©®
ex-illuminati Strolenati
Down with elves

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2883 on: April 23, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
Blasphemers, the lot of you.

Jaime Lannister is misunderstood. Sure, he threw an innocent child from a tower, for spying on him while he porked his sister, but hey, who hasn't? We've all been there, am I right?

Now he's lost his hand, been forced to drink horse piss, and is falling in love with a giant lesbian.

Touche, Fates. But now he's back in the balance, kay?

Luke Skywalker and Jaime Lannister walk into a bar...

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #2884 on: April 23, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »

On a related note, I haven't read so much as more than the first 60 pages of the first book, but had the same reaction there as well.

Both I and at least one of my friends at the same reaction to the books when they first came out, the first book took a long while to draw me in. But by the second and third book the page turner formula is firing on all cylinders and you will lose sleep.    The 4th and 5th books....I think the author will need to be hit by a car or have a heart attack before he can finish the series. The last two books were tangent driven space fillers written by somebody who loves his imaginary world more than his story. 

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Best Play By Post Player 2013 Newbie of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2885 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »
Yeah, I've heard the books are of very varying quality. Really like the show though. GoT is acctually the only show/movie I've seen where a dwarf have gotten to play a non-derisive role. I mean sure, Peter Dinklage is called the Imp, but other than that, at least they don't have him talking in a squeaky voice and running around doing cheap comedy. I hate being behind a season though...So I probably shouldn't be in this thread. >.<
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #2886 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/bBFNWJa.jpg

Note the First: That Zelda is extremely cute. I'd stab Link for her too.
Note the Second: Yes, Nathan Fillion is that awesome.
Note the Third (obligatory snark): Your Castle is in another princess.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2887 on: September 07, 2013, 08:20:47 PM »
Circa 1997-8 there was a Star Wars strategy game, Battlefleet or something like that. My friend was terrible at the game, he would built between one and three Corellian Corvettes and the same number of X-Wing squadrons and would take this group and challenge Imperial systems being defended by as many as 3 Star Destroyers. None of these sorties ever came close to being successful, and his insistence on the strategy caused us to rename the ships Kevorkian Corvettes.

Watching the 1979 B-Movie Starcrash, and the horrible attack runs by the good guys in the silver tube ships against the blue ship/station shaped like a hand with yes, grasping finger action. Made me think of it.

That is all, carry on.

Epix Drive In is an awesome as s**t channel for aficionados of campy and s**tty movies.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2888 on: November 05, 2013, 01:31:05 AM »
It has come to my attention that some people think that I'm blood thirsty.  This is categorically false, it's just that properly taking prisoners in such a way that they are incredibly unlikely to escape is a difficult proposition, but as always I will rise to the challenge, so I present you with:

Pariah's Guide to Proper Prisoner Restraint

Step 1) To properly assure the prisoner doesn't have any contraband on themselves they first need to be completely stripped of all clothing and other belongings.  At this point you can put a nice Robe of Powerlessness on them so as to protect their dignity while striping them of their strength and intelligence.

Step 2) Bind their hands behind their back and bind their feet together, if you're going to need to transport the prisoner later you can leave up to 6" of slack on their feet.  It's also recommended that you bind the prisoner's elbows together as well, of course leaving enough slack that you're not causing the prisoner undue discomfort.  This last part prevents the prisoner from dislocating one of their shoulders to get their hands in front of their body.

Step 3) This step deals primarily with preventing the prisoner from casting spells.  If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the prisoner can't cast spells you may skip this part.  Tie the prisoner's fingers together so that he is unable to move them, preferably in some way where the thumb is tied to another finger.  This prevents the suspected magic user from casting spells with a somatic component.  Next place some sort of fragile glass container, or, preferably, a hollow glass ball gag with an abnormally deadly poison inside of it in the prisoner's mouth and secure it with a gag.  The glass will keep the prisoner from chewing through the gag while at the same time prevent the casting of spells with verbal components.

Step 4) If you skipped step 3 go back and do it again.  On that note, if you're going to skip steps like this you might as well kill yourself and save the prisoner the effort.

Step 5) Tie a rope on a rafter or overhand tree branch, after making sure it's sturdy enough to support the prisoner.  Using the other end of the rope make a noose.  If you have a log or chair available, place it under the noose and have the prisoner stand on it.  Secure the noose around the prisoner's neck, leaving approximately 3" of slack.  While some may view this step as overkill, it is necessary to prevent the prisoner from finding a sharp rock with which to cut his bonds.  Being unable to crouch down, even if the prisoner spies such a rock he or she will be unable to retrieve it.

Step 6) Blindfold the prisoner.  You can never be too sure and for all you know the prisoner has a mind control gaze that only works on squirrels.

Step 7) This is the only part that requires a magic user, but like all the previous step it is vital that you do it.  Cast Explosive Runes on the prisoner's chest.  This booby trap should stop any of the prisoner's friends from freeing him or her, additionally the force from the spell triggering combined with the noose should break the prisoner's neck if the spell itself doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:33:25 AM by Pariah »
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2889 on: November 14, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
internet Explorer has its own anime..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiqiwVGyVVI
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2890 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »
Fighting "androids" ?

Level 3

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2891 on: November 18, 2013, 03:21:10 AM »
Borrowing someone else's keyboard for this so I'll keep it short (also is seems to stick on o, p and r, I'm trying not to think about why :/)  Anyway (w too apparently), this is my glorious manifesto (I've been drinking for the past while, I think I started at 6PM, it's now 3AM) on brevity in the pursuit of submissions.  Mainly it's in response to some unspoken beliefs held by some of my fellow Strolenites, to wit, that all submissions must be campaign defining pieces of epicness that span across multiple pages and carry with them at least 20 usable plot hooks (on that note this one -> ( seems to stick too, as well as the s, I'm really starting to wonder if typing it on the tablet wouldn't in fact be quicker).  Anyway, (Have I mentioned the y yet, I'm not too sure at this point...) ((Not to pick on you Goss, but yours is the most recent example of what I'm about to go into)) some of our fellows add superfluous information to submissions that are otherwise perfectly fine without, with the only logical reason I can figure out is to inflate the word count/size on the submission.  Whether this is a stylistic choice (don't like small things themselves?) or so that our fellow Strolenites will feel better about giving them a higher rating (or feel bad about a lower one maybe?).  The example I'm going to be citing for this is the fabulous ADT by our very own Yemani (and Goss, if you haven't noticed yet I'm going reverse alphabetically, I'll probably tire of it before I get to fun geopolitical problems like whether I should count Transnistria or Taiwan as countries) member Gossamer.  In said submission the author (look at me cleverly avoiding taking sides on the gender debate) includes information about the CEO of the company, despite him not in anyway affecting the creation, design, implementation, marketing, et cetera, et cetera. AND WHY DO WE NEED TO KNOW THAT HE'S A PUGILIST!?!?!

I seem to have gotten sidetracked at this point (also the g seems to register twice when I hit it sometimes), so I'm going to simplify my point a little bit.  As Augustus Pugin said in regards to architecture "there should be no features about a building which are not necessary for convenience, construction, or propriety" and "all ornament should consist of enrichment of the essential construction of the building." (yes, I went quote mining, shoot me.)  AG was kind enough to point out that some of you folks in Europe, particularly the further eastern portions have poor experiences with minimalistic architecture, which I can understand.  Brutalism as a style, and the Soviet minimalism produces some god awful, ugly buildings, but this quote is coming from a man who was at the forefront of the Gothic revival, not quite pared down to just concrete blocks and mortar in a rectangular shape.

For the more literarily minded of you, I point you to one Anton Chekhov. And I quote, "One must never place a loaded rifle on the stage if it isn't going to go off. It's wrong to make promises you don't mean to keep."  If we don't need to know about something for either the submission to make sense, or for it to feel whole it should be a linked stub (or even better, its own submission).  Allowances are, of course, made for such things as a codex of all the weapons of the Old Imperial Era that all fantasy settings are required by law to have.

Going back to my original point of this belief that all items should somehow affect the game world in earth shattering ways, I feel like the single worst piece of advice (and I apologize for this SnO, I know you were only trying to help), is "It could use a couple of plot hooks."  I mean, if you're writing up an interesting backstory for a family heirloom, sure toss in a "the family hires you to fetch their irreplaceable +1 sword of meh that's been stolen by bandits" because we're all total idiots that can't figure that one out on our own.  Yet again, NOT EVERYTHING IS EARTH SHATTERING.  Some things are just things, a submission describing a tablet screen implanted under the skin, or one describing the SciFi staple of a reflex booster (a quite flavorful submission by Scras) doesn't need plot hooks, it's a tool for the PCs to buy, not one to shoehorn them into another musty tomb, or chasing after another set of bandits, or punching out fricking Cthulhu.

Also, I've once again lost the train of thought I was on, so I'll be back again in like 15 minutes after I've had another shot or two.  And back, since then I've thought of two more digressions to take part in (and Goss, I'm not just doing this to make a point.  This IS how I write before I start editing submissions down.  Well, maybe not the comments about keyboards and drinks, but still).  Firstly I'm going to admit that I am as guilty as others on voting higher on submissions than I felt they truthfully deserved just because it looked like a lot of work went into writing them.  I try not to, but I'm not a total sociopath, and other people's feelings do sometimes enter the equation. (people's is a weird possessive plural, I want to put the apostrophe after the s despite knowing that that's wrong.)

My second point (for something like the 3rd time since I've started writing) is Tolkien.  Of those of you who have read the Lord of the Rings, how many of you started skipping over the songs and poems towards the end of the first book, despite knowing that they probably had some impact on the plot, or advanced the story in some way?  I know I did, because they were a distraction from the main story I was there for.  Don't get me wrong, if they had been collected at the end of the books in an appendix I would have read them, but every time they came up I would have much rather heard about what was going to happen to our plucky protagonists than a song about someone who'd died before the main villain was even a threat.

AND now I remember what my third point was, setting specificity.  (note to self: write out cthuloid abomination using greater than 50% $.50 word count) When you want to write up a +1 sword of crapfulness for a submission, you know you can rely on all fantasy settings being the same (with the exception of those people playing in an Oriental campaign, and even then the differences are mainly in flavor, easily fixed by changing out any wandering knights for a pure hearted ronin.  Well, unless dragons are involved, then you might have to work a little bit.)  When you're writing for a modern/future campaign you can't assume that.  Unless if you want to tie your item to a specific setting (which is fine if you want to, and does allow you to skip the points I'm about to lay out) you literally CAN'T go into how an item effects the day to day lives of the general populace.  A post apocalyptic (recent past) is going to be different than a distant past version, and they're both different from a modern magic campaign (I'm sure there's someone here who's heard of Vampire or Shadow Hunters [which settings are about as different from each other in flavor and crunch as you can get will still having vampires roaming the streets of downtown LA]) and they're all different from cyberpunk (though the feel of Vampire is similar, or maybe it's just all the leather), which is itself different from Cthulhutech (despite CT being a direct offshoot of it).  Once you get out of the present/near future things get even more wonky; Dark Heresy, Traveller, Star Wars would all deal with wired reflexs diffently (not at the most basic mechanical level) in how they are viewed by society.  In a Bleak Wood style game, despite being purely technology, wired reflexes would most likely be viewed as a gift from the gods, or fell magic.  Dark Heresy is closest to it in that regard, as it'd likely be viewed as heresy to be purged.  Now you might be saying, well there are fantasy settings that deviate from the norm, but that is a false dichotomy because in fantasy there IS A NORM TO DEVIATE FROM!  Tell me, any of you, what is the standard sci fi setting?  The closest anyone can get is the Star Wars without the Force setting, to quote TVTropes: "In the far future, the [human group] fights a pitched battle against the mighty [alien name] Empire, but deep in the mysterious [region of space], among the ruins of the past, a darker threat looms." The plot of any number of hackneyed space operas available at a book store near you, all of them seemingly going directly to paperback because the editor knows that the consumers of these stories have read a million like them and unless it's from an author they've loved in the past won't spend the extra money for a hardcover.

I just noticed that that paragraph was kinda unwieldy, and because I refuse to edit this in any way other than going further back in a line to fix a spelling error, I'm starting a new one here.  This, the closest analog we have to what people think when you say "scifi" doesn't begin to cover the majority of what you'll find labeled as scifi, at this point I'm ignoring any of the stories that I'd label scifi, but got moved out of their ghetto into the much less descriptive "Fiction" section at the local bookstore.  Anyway, returning to my original point in the previous paragraph, to make is so that a near future item can be applied as broadly as possible, with the least amount of deleting descriptions to add your own in, it is perfectly reasonable for the sci fi equivilent of the +1 sword to eschew assigning itself to a particular genre unless the author so chooses.

Anyway, I'm done, so I'll leave you with this quote from Antoine de Saint-Exupe, (it's old, which inherently means it's better, right?) "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left t add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2892 on: November 18, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »
If you and AxleRowes had ever gotten into an argument, my head probably would have exploded.  :up:
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2893 on: November 18, 2013, 07:08:31 AM »
You are both right and wrong at the same time.

What I am trying to say is that, yes, sometimes submissions here wander off and include unimportant details. The writer's rule "kill your darlings" deal with this, and in less words try to tell us the same thing as your beloved Antoine de Saint-Exupe.

But, then again, what does unnecessary detail give us?
What are the fringe benefits of delving into minutae about CEO's or lock design?

I must admit, I use minutae, "darlings", excessive details. I use them as a technique.

What then is that technique?

Well, after having GMed DnD module after DnD module, in Greyhawk, in Forgotten Realms, I got sick and tired of the minimalist (brutalist) description of the rooms and foes encountered.
GM:
"You enter a room. It has walls and two beds"

Players:
"We search the beds for hidden treasure!"

GM:
"LOL! HO HO! Under the bed is a Mindflayer, guarding precious treasure + 1!"

Players:
"OH NOES! OUR BRAINS AND INDEPENDENT SELVES! SLAY IT!"

Not only did the settings prove bland and unexciting, after the initial years of level up fascination disappeared, my players were sick of it, I was sick of it, and we needed to juice up our games.

This is where detail and minutae, CEO's and odd looking frescoes on the wall, come into the picture.

Our mind is an amazing thing, and our imagination is fantastic. Give a player some details, and his inner visualization of the described location grows!
Without giving too much, but rather just enough, the players get a deeper experience.

--- This is where architecture and imagination part ways. When you build a building, whether it be a communist horror of a highrise, or a beautiful gothic cathedral, the end result is there, plain to see for all. Perhaps that gothic cathedral shaved away with all the unneccessary demonic and angelic statues, perhaps those gargoyles didn't need to overlook the cathedral spire, but the end result IS THERE FOR ALL TO SEE ---

Our imagination, on the other hand, it needs fuel. It needs minutae to enhance the user experience.

There is a fine line when it comes to extra detail, so I usually only have ONE or max TWO deeply detailed items/NPCs/places for them to focus on at once.

For the ADT tattoos, well, handing out information about the mysterious pugilist CEO will enter the players' imagination. They will think about him before they purchase any tattoos, and when the tattoos start to have odd side effects, and they read some piece about that CEO in the paper, about how he is suspected for slavery, well... that pretty PC will start having suspicions about his black outs and midnight disappearances.

Chrome and details enhance the player experience.

And frankly, when I have neglected my GM duties, and players show up at the door...

I love those five added plot hooks.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:13:40 AM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2894 on: November 18, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »
I'll give Pariah a 4.0 and a bonus .5 for summoning Cthulhu and the promise of a cthuloid abomination.

I think we can find a couple different threads discussing this issue. Often it spins back on us a little because of the high expectations we have and the difficulty in getting people to put in a first submission.

I am a fan of bare bones. Look at the first posts on the site back in 1137AD and you will see much of it. There are some submissions that lend themselves to a utilitarian approach and others that maybe the idea isn't as strong but the prose holds it up. Then most others are great ideas with a bunch of flowers. I like the flowers when done well. When it is forced, you can tell.

So I like it all. I have severe difficulty with very long submissions and I wish I could come up with a way to serialize them somehow to make them less daunting to read. But I am horrible at focusing long enough to read many in the first place. But that is an issue unto itself on me. (Coincidently, I might add, I am sick as a dog and can barely see the words. Not sure how good my mind is either so I would put myself a little above Pariah in how this reply will turn out.)

Oh, and this is way too deep and philosophical for The Call of Captain-thulhu.

Jelly beans.

All said I think all our authors are writing for the passion and joy of it. (Or to silence the voice in our heads demanding things of us.)  One person's 3 is another's 5. It is all relative. THE IDEA IS KING. If the idea is usable and presented in a way that somebody can use it (even the bastard BH) then it is win for the universe. Submissions shouldn't be compared to each other but compared to their usage. An idea might be used by 50 people and only score a 3 yet another idea gets a 5 but only 1 person uses it. Which is the better sub? It is all relative which is why I love and hate the voting system. You can't not have it but it would be great not to have.

Getting nauseous now.

I will leave you with this thought.

What does a toaster have a heat setting that will burn the hell out of your toast and possibly start a fire when NOBODY will EVER USE IT??

Level 3

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Status Quo is the DEVIL
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Best Play By Post Player 2013 Newbie of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2895 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »
Wow, I dunno if it was my sub or the fact that I suggested that you make yours a little longer, Pariah, that spawned that long post. But I feel I need to justify my sub a little.

First of all, I originally meant to make that particular sub a plot, but there wasn't enough sub-categories for plots for it to make sense. So after discussing it, I settled for a faction sub. Now a faction, is often deeply tied to one or more persons who sometimes define the characteristics of the faction through policy or what not.
So I don't really feel like it's such a stretch to include the current CEO for BT Inc, in case the PCs get involved enough to meet with him. He's there if you need him, but maybe they just buy a tattoo and be on their way or stumble across other people with tattoos, in which case, like AG said, they could just hear about him. Why you need to know that he's a pugilist. You don't, but if you're going to use/need him, it's an interesting detail (but he's not fully fleshed out yet).

I personnally think a sub can be more than what is just defined, if I include an Npc tied to a faction, I don't see anything bad with that, that's just a bonus and in some ways valid and essential content for that sub.

As for voting, I follow what the vote says, but obviously I'm going to vote higher on content that shows that it took a long time to make than if someone spits out a few paragraphs and calls it a day. Obviously in your case, Pariah, it gets skewed with the whole keyboard issue, but I can't exactly take something like that into account, I can only vote on what I see.
And yeah, the golden middle is what I prefere. Too long, and I probably won't vote at all. Too short, same thing or I'll vote low if the author doesn't wish to edit it. But obviously IF something is really great, length isn't as important. For me, I'd say length accounts for maybe 2 Points. If something is short but totally awesome, a 4 would probably be the cap for me. And even if something is really really long and well written but I still don't like it, then I'll cap at 4.5. But obviously this isn't an exact science and there's always exceptions to any rule.

There are tons of reasons why people vote the way they do, some of them are awful reasons, but what can you do. Just hope that enough people like it, or just ignore the votes altogether, if at all possible. I'm not so fond of the voting system either, I would have preferred votes being kept secret only for the author to read, to ensure a more just and unbiased average.

Anyways, hope there's no hard feelings, P. I was just making a friendly suggestion, didn't mean for it to be perceived as an attack or anything.  :Thud:
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2896 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
As lively as a discussion it will make, i have only one piece of input on the whole subject: Everyone's vote is their own. Start twlling them how they should and shouldn't vote, and it no longer becomes their vote. It can suck to get low scores (I've had more than my fair share!), but it happens. All you can do is learn from it.

Also, the length of a post is a negligible factor in my scores: i vote on how i enjoyed it.
anywho.

Pancakes.
 :Thud:

Online caesar193

• Slithy Tove
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards 2013 Most Quest Submissions 2013 System of the Year Lifeforms Guild 2012 Newbie of the Year Locations Guild Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
« Reply #2897 on: November 18, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
I only have one thing to add to what SE said: people can vote as they please as long as they vote high on MY subs.  :D. And as long as they vote on Seeking Vengeance;Adventurers Needed (i just need one more vote on it to actually get into the Occult Brotherhood's next level, and I figure this'll get a lot of view in the next couple of days.)

Anyway, on the subject Pariah brought up, i think that a certain degree of flair and showmanship is what separates the chafe from the wheat. You have to sell your idea well, but at the same time too much showing off of your product/idea is simply overkill. But at the end of the day, I tend to read a sub, then not actually vote on it, and if it sticks around in my head until I have time/remember to actually vote on it (i prefer giving a comment with a critique over a 'only voted' so that the author can improve either their art or the piece if they so chose), and then I'll share my views. If its worthy of being voted on by your local god, caesar, then I shall deign to vote on it, so it has to be... Whats the word I'm looking for... Ill go with flamboyant. It has to be flamboyant enough to actually stand out, and thus needs flair and showmanship.

Besides, we're humans. We're drawn to the newest and shiniest of stuff. As authors, and to a degree artists, we need to produce newer and shinier things each time the quill touches the inkpot.

Anyway.

I steal SE's pancakes. Whatcha gonna do about it?:bat:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:24:35 PM by caesar193 »

caesar193
Moderator of the  Cartography Guild
LEVEL SEVEN
Cartographer, middling minion- level two
Dwarf-level one
Necromancer, Acolyte Octavian Morbidius- level one
Divine Syond, Novice Follower of Lunism- level one
Jacob Latris, Demonologist of the Brotherhood- level two
--------------------------------------------------------
STR: 6 | END: 6 | CON: 5 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 7 | INT: 11
--------------------------------------------------------
Our maps are always 100% right,. Its the terrain that's wrong.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #2898 on: November 18, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »
Ha haaaaw! dems pancakes was poisoned! All the pieces are falling in place...!

QUICK! TO THE CTHULHUMOBILE!!!

:cthulhu:

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2899 on: November 19, 2013, 07:21:40 AM »
I've thought about the monologs that have been posted here, and i have thought about them hard. The Plot Hooks trope is something that I started adding to my submissions years ago because at times I would write things that were not really game related, and I felt like I had to write hooks at the end so people wouldn't respond with the general 'what do I do with these?' comment. It just rather caught on, much like the concept of writing the 30s caught on.

When I write, I seldom write things that are truly stand alone, but my writing tradition is based on the notion of the idea of giving glimpses of things that imply a larger world. So, there are going to be sections that touch on things that are really not that important to the submission itself. It is a device to give the appearance of greater depth.

Adding a CEO to an equipment listing might seem strange, or superfluous but it adds a human element, a face, to what is otherwise a mechanical submission. And in the real world, there are some mundane things that have people associated with them, Henry Ford and the automobile, Edison and the light bulb. This can add that depth of realism. Why does it matter if the CEO of company x is pugilist? Because that is like adding seasoning to stew. By itself its unimportant but as you read, there is that seed of fisticuffs.

You can have two identical function gadgets, but when you add that one was created by the demented scientists of a totalitarian dictator and was used for nefarious purposes, and the other was created by a single gifted engineer and given to charity, the device itself at the end of the day hasn't changed, but the perception of it has.

Sometimes I have a cool idea for a supporting npc but don't feel there is enough to flesh them out as their own submission, or in and of themselves they do not warrant their own sub.