llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Call of Captain-thulhu  (Read 249987 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: The Call of Captain-thulhu
« Reply #2775 on: August 23, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »
Trying to run blender when windows 7 uses ~2.5 gigs of ram sitting there doing nothing has driven me back to linux... Why windows, why?  What are you doing that needs 2.5 gigs? I want to know... Are you running SETI@home in the background and just not telling me, or is there a much more nefarious purpose?  Are all the windows boxes in the world united in one big microsoft botnet, a sort of malignant AI that is writing the next version of windows as we speak?  I want to, because the only way I can play games on linux is through wine, and setting it up makes me le tired.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2776 on: August 23, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »
BK 7.5

45 rounds per minute, automatic 75mm cannon. Drum fed.

Made for an airplane.

Yeah.

That.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2777 on: August 24, 2010, 02:52:55 AM »
Windows runs all the services in the world. If you want to reduce your RAM usage, learn what the services do and kill them off, one by one. Also, avoid bloated programs like the Norton ones.

Even if you kill off all the services, your RAM usage will be huge. The kernel, undocumented as it is, runs all sorts of nasty stuff, the idea being Windows as an omnipotent OS, able to run all sorts of things. That includes games as well as rootkits. :p

Linux is sweet, but I keep it on a vmware image and run Windows on the host. Cause Linux is a retarded OS for gaming, and I love games.

Trying to run blender when windows 7 uses ~2.5 gigs of ram sitting there doing nothing has driven me back to linux... Why windows, why?  What are you doing that needs 2.5 gigs? I want to know... Are you running SETI@home in the background and just not telling me, or is there a much more nefarious purpose?  Are all the windows boxes in the world united in one big microsoft botnet, a sort of malignant AI that is writing the next version of windows as we speak?  I want to, because the only way I can play games on linux is through wine, and setting it up makes me le tired.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2778 on: August 26, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »
"I HAVE THE POWER OF THE MOON IN MY PANTS!"

*turns around, bends over, drops pants*

Let this be a lesson, kids. Don't eff with the power of the moon.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2779 on: September 09, 2010, 01:37:52 AM »
I've gone quite mad, really.

There are mechs and fireball throwing ninjas fighting transformers, cyborgs, evil zombie spewing factories and cosmic space horrors getting curb stomped by power armor while magi and sorcerers trade spells and summoned spawn for fun and profit. And SexBots

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2780 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:11 AM »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2781 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:47 AM »
Its all fun and games until your SexBot contracts a virus during its monthly software update, you come home and its decorated your bachelor pad with the guts of your annoying neighbor and wants to know if you are ready to consumate your union in the eyes of Nyarlathotep

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #2782 on: September 09, 2010, 12:50:41 PM »
Bife is Great!
Bife is Wonderful!
Bife if your new bicycle!

...The tablets read on as you descend further and further into the inverted tower...

Bife is Grand!
Bife is Beautiful!
Bife made you a mix tape!

...Then, you reach the final chamber. After battling hordes of monsters and traps, you realize something...

Bife is a Litch.

...And then, you die.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #2783 on: September 10, 2010, 06:49:44 AM »
Scras that is possibly the most disturbingly wonderful image I've had all day...
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2784 on: September 10, 2010, 07:31:44 AM »
Scras that is possibly the most disturbingly wonderful image I've had all day...

Well I was on a roll. My coworker and friend both loved my idea of a Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter/Metroid crossover in this disease and madness ridden Cthulhutech setting I am cancering together.

Goro vs M. Bison vs Samus Aran
Outworld vs Shadoloo vs the Space Marines

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2785 on: September 15, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »
What a splendid pie?
Pizza, pizza pie
Every minute, every second
Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy

What a splendid pie?
Pizza, pizza pie
Every minute, every second
Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy

Pepperoni and green peppers
Mushrooms, olive, chives
Pepperoni and green peppers
Mushrooms, olive, chives

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #2786 on: September 16, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »
I actually feel bad, I've had all sorts of ideas for this quest, but when it comes time to actually try and write something down I sit there and stare at the paper/screen until I just get depressed and jot down nonsense, and not even nonsense with some sort of redeeming qualities, nonsense that make the sword leviathan look like a marvel of modern writing...  I think arabic has actually stolen my soul.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:23:36 AM by Ancient Gamer »

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #2787 on: September 22, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
Don we now our Llama hats,
Praise be the Llama, you filthy rats.
Llama do and Llama don't,
Llamas give freely of their soap.

When the Llama spits upon thine eye,
like wine and cheese, do not you dare cry,
for ever-giving, Llama spit.
Llama knows,
that Llama can't give a sh*t.

When I was a young Llama Acolyte, shoveling poo for a shake of a tail, I stumbled upon some wisdom. Deep in the Dung of the Great Ones: There sat a Pearl of Knowledge. A nugget, like corn, but run its course, I did pick up of this Nugget of Truth. That all things, from big to small, from the skies where Llama-jets soar and the hills where Llama men dance, that all things will come to pass. Even if it is a simple as corn, from a Llama's A**.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2788 on: September 23, 2010, 04:23:04 AM »
Surely there must be some inspiration in all that Arabic as well?

Do you study Arab history as part of the language study? I remember I had to read several Japanese history books when I took Japanese.

Everyone knows Arab history anyways. The pre-Islam bits are great, as are some of the happenings during the Mongol incursions. Ever read about the Mongol sacking of Baghdad? They were a bit more hard-core than US troops are today, to put it mildly.

You could mix some sacking of Baghdad in with some Persian fairy-tales and come up with a great Light Quest tale?

No place is as illuminated as the desert, or so I hear.
I actually feel bad, I've had all sorts of ideas for this quest, but when it comes time to actually try and write something down I sit there and stare at the paper/screen until I just get depressed and jot down nonsense, and not even nonsense with some sort of redeeming qualities, nonsense that make the sword leviathan look like a marvel of modern writing...  I think arabic has actually stolen my soul.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2789 on: September 23, 2010, 04:27:41 AM »
Which made me think about the modern day hatred towards the West and western culture...

Why the heck doesn't the people of the world HATE Mongols?

I mean... They butchered half of China, butchered most of Russia, beheaded their way through the middle-East (they were the Axe-Cop's of medieval times), and slaughtered most of Europe.

Hitler would have been a boy scout compared to the Mongol army, that's the number of people they killed. (Okay, I am exaggerating to make a point).

As goes for Arabs... They bought WAY more slaves than the west ever did. Why the F*** don't the africans HATE them as well?

Nooo... Everyone hates the white western guy. We are to blame for eeeeeveeeeryyythiiiing! YEEEES!

*Rant done*
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2790 on: September 23, 2010, 05:13:16 AM »
[/URL]

That's why...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #2791 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »
<rant>Eh, that "Walled World" map ain't exactly entirely accurate.  Mexico has some pretty hard core border guards to the south, they don't want any of those dirty Colombians in their country; Isreal should have 2 red lines, one around the Palestinian territories, and the other around their border w/ Syria, Jordan, Lebanon & Egypt, and the N/S Korea DMZ is one of those things that also makes perfect sense, seeing as the 2 Koreas are still technically at war w/ each other.  Other heavily guarded borders are India/Pakistan, Iran/Iraq (Actually, pretty much any nation in the middle east that has an actual functioning gov't has very well guarded borders, there's a lot of smuggling and they trust each other to have a knife to their back at all times and/or figure that their neighbor, if it isn't Israel, will fold like soggy toast if Israel decides they want to control the whole region), the Bering Straight is still pretty well watched, and all things considered, it's probably be easier to just list off the 'soft' borders than the guarded ones.  But besides that it's a nice piece of propaganda visual aide. I mean, it's not like the state's primary purpose is to defend it's people from foreign powers or anything... :p</rant>

Also, AG, I just want you to know that you just insulted every Persian ever...  To quote a Persian that I once made that mistake (equating them in any way to an Arab), "We are not Arabs. Persians come from a civilization that was great when the Arabs were still herding goats and worshipping the moon."

As to the "history," I was taught by native speakers, and to call Arabs unbiased about their history is akin to saying the moon is pink, square, and hiding in my pants...  During our history lessons I learned that they invented the calculator, paper, language, numbers, fingers, math, English, clothing, cotton, silk, spice, computers, chemistry, gold, sand, the internet, guns, mounted combat, triangles (actually this was more specifically the Egyptians), anatomy, shoes, rope, trees, ect... Yeah...

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2792 on: September 23, 2010, 07:42:34 AM »
Don we now our Llama hats,
Praise be the Llama, you filthy rats.
Llama do and Llama don't,
Llamas give freely of their soap.

When the Llama spits upon thine eye,
like wine and cheese, do not you dare cry,
for ever-giving, Llama spit.
Llama knows,
that Llama can't give a sh*t.

When I was a young Llama Acolyte, shoveling poo for a shake of a tail, I stumbled upon some wisdom. Deep in the Dung of the Great Ones: There sat a Pearl of Knowledge. A nugget, like corn, but run its course, I did pick up of this Nugget of Truth. That all things, from big to small, from the skies where Llama-jets soar and the hills where Llama men dance, that all things will come to pass. Even if it is a simple as corn, from a Llama's A**.

So sayeth the Llama Prophet, speaker of truths and Llamas. These words, at once a beacon of sanity and sanitation were heralded to the world of facebook for all the Llama Brotherhood to experience. In this way, the immortality of the Pieh was confirmed and the legend solidified. All hail the Pie's Pie, Pieh.

Level 3

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2793 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
Pariah: Ah, of course, but the problem is more about how the distribution of wealth follows a pareto distribution Fences are fairly moot point if they are between two areas that are equally attractive, economically speaking. How big is the quality of life difference between India/Pakistan or Iran/Iraq? Compare these to the indexed difference in say, infant mortality between N/S Korea...

For example, compare the above to the quality of life index:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:54:10 AM by dark_dragon »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2794 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »
You forgot the Red Sea blockade of Somalia (due to Somali piracy) ;)

Herding goats and worshiping the moon... Sounds like inspiration!

Self-glorifying and history-rewriting loons... YEAH! INSPIRATION! Mix that attitude into a nationalist faction in your RPG!

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #2795 on: September 23, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
So, what it comes down to is that the rest of the world hates Western White Guys because they're jealous? Economics isn't a Zero-Sum system, yanno (despite what far too many econ professors with no out-of-classroom experience like to preach).
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2796 on: September 23, 2010, 12:58:28 PM »
I fenced in my backyard for exactly the reasons you are all discussing!

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2797 on: September 24, 2010, 05:45:03 AM »
Jealosy tears apart even the best of families, Cm. Being a religious guy you should know that it has been so ever since the time of Cain and Abel. ;)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2798 on: September 26, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »
There's no hate, it's just pragmatism. The Western folks have the money so that's where you gotta go to get the spoils these days!

Wait, where's the money?!
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #2799 on: September 26, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Depends, m.

I had a lot of african friends at one stage in my life, and, well, there is hate as well. :)

Not everyone emitted hate towards our culture, but most did, and the enlightened ones acknowledged that, yes, there was hate, and yes, many people await the next world war.

Been talking to Albanians and they are feel the same. It is a Muslim thing perhaps.

I envy Africans their climate. Here in the north a dome of darkness has descended once again, and angst and paranoia creeps in. :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:46:33 PM by Ancient Gamer »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!