llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sober Commentary  (Read 1479 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Sober Commentary
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »
Alas, the Drunken Writer's Guild, while filled with great content, is restricted to the inebriated. Which is fine, but also means that providing commentary and discussion isn't particularly feasible the morning after.

Ergo, the sober commentary thread, a counterpart that lets us comment on DWG content whilst sober.

The only rule in this thread is that you have to be sober to post here. If you can't drive a car, you're too drunk to post here; go post in the DWG.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: Sober Commentary
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »
The Rival - kinda like the SH, but opposite moral polarity or alternate perspective. The Rival is similar in build characteristic to the SH, but doesnt share their goals, ideals, or value set. Example: Catwoman to Batman, she has gadgets, and is a thief versus his detective.

Male Expy of Wonder Woman, Cap'n America if he was from the Jersey Shore and the Super Serum was 30% Axe Body Spray and 30% Spray Tan

I laughed at this one.

Anti-thesis - The SH has a foe who is everything that stand against. The Joker is everything that Batman is not, chaos versus order, embracing madness vs chasing sanity, never kill vs s**t happens.

a misogynistic hyper-conservative neo-religious super villain, who happens to be a woman.

Sooo...Sarah Palin given superpowers. Wins the presidential race in 2020 for maximum "wtf-ery"?
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:48:50 PM »
I was going to comment, then took a drink of my beer, and realized this isn't the right thread.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:41:28 AM »
This is actually quite a good idea, for those of us unable to get inebriated due to meds/whatever :D

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
I had planned to post in the Drunken Writers Guild asking whether or not being pumped full of painkillers would be acceptable, but the doc has pulled me off everything today. Good. Now all I need is a 2 week detox to clear everything from my system. Then I can have the occasional bottle of beer. Yay. I'm also back on and able to tolerate coffee it seems. Things are on the up!

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Online Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
After some more pondering, and going back over what I've written on the topic, there are effectively two Wonder Women. There is the well known, respected Linda Carter Wonder Woman, icon of the Feminist movement, and a figurehead for women's rights in the comic universe, and there is the Wonder Woman from the actual comics who was written by men in the 40s and 50s, and the two are pretty far apart.

So I had a thought.

There was another Princess Diana who got a lot of media attention, Princess Diana of the British Royal family.

So, here is the thought: Princess Diana of Themyscira is a very well known very public figure, especially in her role as a UN Ambassador, a proponent of women's rights, children's issues, and civil rights in general, with a minor in peace dealing and public relations. Then, her alternate 'super persona' is instead the blank rather than the secret identity. Princess Diana is known around the world, but there is a female super hero who fights crime, taking down international criminals, KO'ing warlords and tyrants who don't deal at the peace talks, rescuing kidnapped children, and otherwise doing all the covert ops asskicking that a diplomat and princess functionally and legally cannot do.

In her corner:

Standard Bag of Superhero powers, enhanced strength, agility, durability
Military special ops training. (hand to hand, melee weapons, military organization)
Access to prototype and experimental military hardware, with emphasis on non-lethal and subdual weapons.
Intelligence Ops training (interrogation, use of chemicals)

Against her:

Super Persona often acts 'against' the Princess' proclamations (she generally must condemn her super activities as a vigilante, and sometimes criminal figure, ala Batman, but much more international in scale)
Her credentials as a peacemaker would be destroyed if her super persona were discovered
As a diplomat, sometimes must work with figures who are her super persona's rivals and enemies

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »
I like this.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »
This is the kind of topic I find hilarious. Wonderful idea. Thumbs up!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MysticMoon

• Mad Prophet
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Månlufsen (The Moon Bum)
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 5 2011 Society of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »
Some part of my mind wants to believe that was why she was fleeing the paparazzi.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.