llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greet & Meet  (Read 33 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Apocryphal

• Nomad
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
Greet & Meet
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:18:41 PM »
Hello,

I found this place through a link on RPG.net. Since lately I've been looking for a place to bounce my RPG one-shot scenario ideas off people and get constructive feedback, I joined. I've been playing RPGs since 1980 or 81. My favourite is RuneQuest, but there are several games that I enjoy - mainly games that are traditional in structure, but not necessarily old. D&D (and all its iterations) isn't one of those though. Finding places to talk about traditional games that aren't OSR is getting pretty hard these days, it seems. Everywhere it's either OSR or Story/Indie games. It's kind of like take out pizza - all the choices are either vegetarian or meat-lovers these days. The people who like both meat AND vegetables are left out!

So I would mostly be posting ideas for things that really aren't very D&D-like, but still pretty trad. Many of these ideas are inspired by literature or history. Judging by the fact that my ideas are usually met by the internet equivalent of blank stares, they must be pretty 'out there' (or maybe they're actually too mundane?). Whichever it is, I'm looking for a community that will accept them for what they are and respond with solid feedback.

Browsing the site, I see several references to voting on topics. I'm not really interested in taking part in popularity contest, especially considering my ideas probably seem pretty esoteric to most gamers. So I'm curious to hear more about the voting, and whether it really is important or not.

Thanks for reading.
Apocryphal

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards Article Guild Elite Article Guild Hall of Heroes 5 Questor Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
Re: Greet & Meet
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
Welcome on board, Apocryphal. If you want honest and solid feedback then I think you've found a good place here. As for voting, it's true that we have tons of arguments (sometimes even heated) about the way it works, how particular Strolenati votes in a particular way etc. but I personally never saw those as an impediment to my posting. I think the main thing is to shove your pride on one side and just take the comments as they are. Anyway, I would encourage to just jump in and post a submission and then you can experience it for yourself.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Greet & Meet
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:51:18 PM »
Welcome Apocryphal!

The voting is what it is. A fun rating system. Don't pay much attention to it. We're all about the IDEA!!!! Really!!

I'm intrigued by your gaming background and "esoteric" ideas. So let's have them!

Yay, another old timer.  :monkeys:
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin