llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gamer's Block/Gamer Fatigue  (Read 78 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Gamer's Block/Gamer Fatigue
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:01 PM »
I have lost my desire to game. I don't play my PS3, I'm not playing the games on my mobile (and consequently missing tons of daily and long in bonuses for not playing regularly) and the home game has quite simply died.

Have you experienced this phenomenon.
How did you overcome it?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Plot Guild Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year
    • Awards
Re: Gamer's Block/Gamer Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:02:51 PM »
Why would you want to overcome it?  Are you depressed or restless?

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:14:13 AM »
I very much lost my 'gamer' status when I got married/had my daughter. And now I find it hard to get into most of 'today's' games.

The other week I have been having some serious nostalgia though. I downloaded Zdoom and have been playing the original dooms trough again, and then downloading custom wads to play. Great fun. Brutal Doom is incredible, Scras, I recommend you try it - I know you loved the old doom games too.

I've also downloaded a map maker and and thinking of making my own wad with custom graphics and new weapons.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
I played computer games for 16 hours a day for many a year, back in the 90's.

In the end my girl had enough, and we agreed on a 3 games per year limit.

At the end of the day, I think you have had enough. If you eat roast beef every day, in the end it will make you sick. The same with gaming. There is a limit to everything.

Of course, if you are fed up with everything else too, you are probably facing a depression.

Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • King
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Article Guild Master Questor Elite NPC Guild 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:20 AM »
Assuming it's just a game burn out your facing and not an life depression here's a few techniques that might help you find the fun in gaming again:

-Go Retro: Visit good old games  (gog.com)  or Humble Bundle and look around for some old favorites you enjoyed many years ago, chances are it'll be priced $10 or less and playing through an old beloved game (Ice Wind Dale, Fallout, Master of Orion II ) can help remind you why you enjoyed gaming back in the day.

Go Co-op: Grab a game that's meant for co-op play, like Borderlands 1 or 2, 7 Days to Die, or Dead Island and group up with a friend or two. Sometimes gaming solo can get a bit repetitive, and adding in the social aspect of a few friends, the challenge of team work and a new game to experience together can make it fun all over again. (I would recommend avoiding any MMO's however given the grindy/repetitive nature of them can make turn more tedium than fun quickly.)

Mods: Look up mods for some of your favorite PC games, they can add dozens (at least) of hours to the replay and increase the fun factor and challenge of games that have gotten stale.

Try a different genre of game: Been playing a lot of Rpg's lately? (Like Divinity Original Sin: http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/ )  Mix it up with a RTS like Grey Goo: ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/290790/ ) Or a FPS like Far Cry 4: http://store.steampowered.com/app/298110/ or Borderlands the Pre Sequel: (http://store.steampowered.com/app/261640/ ) or maybe try a survival horror like Dying Light http://store.steampowered.com/app/239140/ or even something more laid back rogue like such as Dungeon of the Endless? (http://store.steampowered.com/app/249050/ )

Depending on your usual type of game, playing something new and different can provide a new type of challenge and engage the fun aspect of video games your current selection lacks.

Also try not to get too caught up in free to play and mobile games for a while, given they often pressure you into logging in every day for "free bonuses" leading to a feeling of missing out on stuff and changing the game from fun to an obligation/chore which quickly kills the incentive to play it.

If all else fails, just take a break from gaming for a few months, and find more active hobby like skeet shooting, or joining a local IDPA competition group, or even take up model building or home beer brewing for a time, something as far removed from electronic venues of entertainment as possible, then come back to gaming in the fall and see if it's still as fun as you remember it.
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."