llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Elastic Hound  (Read 2594 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
  • What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME!
    • Awards
Elastic Hound
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Hey errybody! I'd like to submit a life form but am a little stuck on the details. The basic idea is a creature that looks like a normal, harmless, raggedy dog that can expand it's limbs to attack, i.e, neck and legs. One way of attacking is to wrap it's legs around the victims body and strangle it with it's tongue by either shoving it down their throats (eww I know) or constricting their esophagus. I've read a few life forms submissions and see the format they use, but I would like to know directly what is to be expected by a submission and any ideas that could flesh out encounters with this thing. Do I need an origin story if they're unnatural creatures? I'm still trying to get the hang of this site so if I'm asking dumb questions, I apologize in advance for n00bishness. Anyway, thanks for your time guys!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: Elastic Hound
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
No dumb questions that i can see...

Do I need an origin story if they're unnatural creatures?
Sure that would help, but its not a must. Think of it like this. You are presenting the creature to GMs, so they would like to know the "where did it come from?" and "how did it get here?" and all the type of things we'd need to know to effortlessly place them in some campaign.
any ideas that could flesh out encounters with this thing?
I like the tidbit you provide. A dog-like creature with elastic limbs (and tongue  :twisted:). I'd like to know more! Need some more information on them, and then we'd all be more than happy to provide ideas/plot hooks on encountering this thing.

As far as whats expected, i think we have  pretty loose guidelines. I suppose we'd all like to know the following on any given creature...

1. What is it? (and why is it)
2. What does it look like? (physical description)
3. How do you, or how would you use them in any given rpg?
4. Any and all cool details...what does it eat? where does it live? does it have any weaknesses?
5. Does it have any special attacks?
6. etc...

Looking forward to the slurpy/stretchy doggy!!  :up:

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
1. What is it? (and why is it)
An elastic hound, otherwise known as a Gargarus Hound, is a dog like creature with the ability to extend its limbs and neck up to a yard or more. How it accomplishes this is a mystery, but it has already been ruled out that it hides it's limbs in some way to give the illusion of growth. Whenever they are killed Gargarus hounds limbs recede back to their original length. It's origins are also somewhat of a mystery, but there are many competing theories. One definite fact is that they appeared roundabout 150 years ago in the southern reaches of Vorhil, and were discovered by a traveling bard who witnessed a group of them attack and overpower a caravan. Some say they are the creation by a dark wizard (I'll flesh out the backstory here), the demonic spawn of (name of dark god/goddess here), and some say that they are simply nocturnal creatures living in caves and tunnels, who adjusted to the light.

2. What does it look like? (physical description)
Gargarus hounds are often covered in a thin brown fur, some with spots and others without. Alpha males tend to take on a golden coat for whatever reason, but both types are very lean and thin. Their jaws are large and rounded, with big under bites protruded with sharp teeth. The most obvious trait of a Gargarus hound however, are its eyes, which shine either a very bright green or blue.

3. How do you, or how would you use them in any given rpg?
Initially to catch the player off guard and ambush them. After that just as special enemy types. Perhaps if one could find the right persuasion they could adopt one of the hounds as a pet or loyal travel companion. Maybe have a small quest where an NPC is selling puppies, but isn't selling real puppies, but clones or something equally nasty that ends up causing havoc.

4. Any and all cool details...what does it eat? where does it live? does it have any weaknesses?
Eats meat, lives in woods or mountain areas, common to find in a small group of up to 4 hounds. Very intelligent, almost with a human capacity. Mostly comes out at night. Mostly. (perhaps weak against light based attacks?)

5. Does it have any special attacks?
1. Extending its limbs to wrap around their victims and suffocate them with their tongues.
2. Extending it's neck to bite from a distance.
3. Can trip players with limbs/tongues
4. Knock items/weapons out of players hands
5. Has the ability to reach around shield defenses, or anything similiar

That's all I've got for now. I'm going to flesh all this out later and post whatever it becomes. thank you for the advice so far! It's very helpful.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:31 AM »
Another way to write this up would be to write the dog up like an entry in a nature guide or some expert on animal planet.  Then at the end, maybe, maybe,  mention some game use. I like anything that helps in world emersion, and adds to the game enviornment.  I like it when I turn over a rock in the game world and find more game world, not the GM winking at me about how cool the rock is.  Of course I have played with people who enjoy the other side of it.

Another way is to see if you can write this up in 100 words, just see if you can or if you lose some understanding of it afterwards.

Another way would be to have an amusing or an entertaining story about the animal or the persons encounter with the animal

What do you find most interesting about this animal?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:57:44 AM by axlerowes »

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:59 AM »
Jake?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:58:33 AM »
pssst....bf....i think he is talking to you

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »
Haha, yes Jake was the main inspiration for the idea.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
who is Jake?

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
Who is Jake?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
Did you have an avatar last night?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »
Jake is the dog from Adventure Time, he can shape shift and stretch his  body to insane sizes. I'm basing this creature on his powers and abilities.

And yes, I have an avatar today as well. It's of Finn and Jake. :)

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 11:34:06 PM »
Bump.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Gossamer

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Just kill me already...
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 2013 Best Play By Post Player 2013 Newbie of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 05:48:13 AM »
Samotny Osovjaltek - Dwarven Guild – Level 1
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 3 | DEX: 5 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »
Are they guard dogs? Loyal to their owners, but all too willing to bite others. Legal to own as long as you keep them under control when in a public place. Or are they feral and a menace?