llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Hunt For the Enchantress  (Read 5176 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
  • What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME!
    • Awards
The Hunt For the Enchantress
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:27:33 AM »
  The horror of the night had never stopped, not once in 17 years. Bram felt the rush of fear gnawing at the back of his skull, annoyed at it's intrusion, but it could not be helped. His sword drawn, he made his way through the forest, illuminated only by the mirrored rays of the moon. All around him the shadows of the woods twisted upon themselves, taking the shapes of darkened creatures bent by evil intent. He knew that these things were not real, as the elders had already warned him of the magical wards. What better barrier from intruders then that of their own instinctual fears? He gripped the talisman that hung around his neck, rubbing it between his fingers, and prayed to the Gods for safe passage through the journey ahead. He thought back to the days of his childhood hearing tall tales of the cult within these woods. How they had portrayed themselves as heroes in our time of crisis. How they offered their hollow promises of protection in exchange for our subservience. Our 'noble' fathers... fools and cowards, the lot of them! Too short sighted to see the crutch upon which they leaned, built by their own hands stained with blood. The price of protection came at the cost of a life. Every few months a new one was taken, without a sound, without a struggle, not even a whimper let out in protest. And we were bred by our shadowed partners to ignore it, as if we were some pack of dogs adhering to the whip of our masters. What sort of men would allow such a self afflicted wound to fester amidst their own families? No more! The cycle would be broken tonight by dawn. It had to, or Ada would not live to see another day.

A sudden howl let out in front of him, and Bram stopped cold. The sounds of rapid movement spread out around him. Blanketed by the effect of the wards all he could see were shadows broken up by the light of the moon. Taking hold of his bastard sword in both hands he prepared himself for whatever was to come.

OOC: Yeah, I'm pretty new to this forum type thing, so I was kind of hoping for a little assistance where story is concerned. I was sort of hoping we could all round robin the plotline as long as you think you could add to the game. Reading some of the material on this site however, I dont doubt you could. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:24:33 AM by Bottom_Feeder475 »
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: The Hunt For the Enchantress
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
The thunderstorm in Anoikis’s mind never truly subsided.  The flashes of lightening would illuminate scenes from his childhood, from his wars, from marriages or the children of those marriages.  No sooner would his mind’s eye take focus on something then the thunder of regret and pain would chase them away.  Tonight he tried to shelter his thoughts in a tent of wine and restless activity.  It had work for awhile the wine and dice had given his thoughts a focus clarity for a while, the rise and fall of his little fortunes around the game table pushing away the attendees of his pity party.  But this had been small community, and the local gamblers had sought sleep before he had spent effort or money to find sleep. Drunk and wanting, Anoikis was attempting to chase of his remembered fears with the more tangible fears of an unfamiliar dark forest and entice sleep with another cask of wine.  Totting all his belongs, Anoikis had long ago stopped trusting inn keepers and liveries, stumbled through the wood beneath a bright moon.  He hummed “A spark for the children”, as he remembered it from his second wedding and watched carefully the dark unfamiliar figures moving quickly through the woods around him. 

He felt relieved a little danger could clear his mind, if only he wasn’t drunk, but who or what where these things. “ I didn’t win that much as dice,” he whispered to himself.  Still holding the ceramic flask of wine in his left hand, he stretche his right arm around to his pack and started to unlace a throwing ax.

A crash in the brush next to him sent him spinning.  Had something hit him? He raised the ax as he spun but the ballast of his pack and a well placed root sent him listing backwards. He landed on the flask, and it made vaguely amusing pop as it shared.  Small pieces of pottery stuck into his leg as he let out a loud howl, half pain-half laughter.  Sitting up, still ready for a fight despite the undignified and stinging fall, the seasoned solider turned his salt pepper beard and wide bemused eyes to his left. 
There was a youth he had not seen before! No more than 20 by Anoikis’s estimation, holding a broad sword  that shamed the little ax he held.  The boy had a look of fear and determination on his face that Anoikis had seen in hundreds of boys his age. 
In a heavy accent “You were not with me dice game lad, I hope you are not in this state over a father’s coins.”   

OCC: "I think Bram needs someone to talk to, so that he can explain fully whats going on. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:52:02 PM by axlerowes »

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »
Bram lowered his sword at the sight of this strange man before him. "I have no debt to you sir. And I do not intend to rob you on behalf of anyone, least of all my father." He sheathed his blade as he made his way towards him. "I am Bram Durand. My village, Fallcrest, had been put under a spell by a Witch and her followers. I could tell you the tale if you were interested in aiding me, Sir...?"

[OOC] I had a few ideas since first posted this thread, so what say next will be a bit different from my original post above.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Questor Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »
A vision popped into Anoikis's head, he felt his ax leaving his hand landing squarely between Bram's eye. He shook of the vision and glanced around the woods again.

"Do not come a step closer lad" he said in a loud whisper. "We are no alone here, I think." A crash again from Bram's left and then from Bram's right a dark man-like figure lept forward out from the shadows at the two men.   Anoikis's ax flew at the figure, splitting its head like a cloud of smoke.  The ax didn't slow, but cracked into a tree trunk some two meters aways.  There was pained gasp, a foreign word and the man like figure vanished like whisp of steam in strong wind.  The older man yanked a dirk from his boot, and with one motion cut the ropes to his own pack, then using that same momentum he rolled to his feet.  Then stumbled against a tree.  He could hear what ever made that crash to Bram's left running hurriedly through the forest.  He raised a hand to stay Bram's action, and he smiled.

"Fey forms,  they won't hurt yea, but one touch from em and you will be covered in all kind of ugly skin crawling emotions. Whatever witch or warlock summoned that dank illusion" he gestured at the spot where the shadow had been.  "well... they will be having stiff head ache in the morn." He stroked his dagger gently across his beard in a mock shaving motion and looked around pleased. "Well Bram Dur...brand.  I am guessing Fallcrest is where I diced and the witches den is in these woods?"

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »
  "You have the right of it" said Bram, " A witch lives here in these woods. She came to my village long ago, during a time when our crops failed and our water supply dried up. She offered to provide us these things, but at a cost." Bram leaned against a nearby tree, looking down at his feet.

"It brings me no honor to say it, but the elders of our village agreed to her terms. She demanded human offerings, for what exactly I still dont know. The victims were to be of her choosing, and would be taken during the night. She placed a spell upon the village that made us forget those who traveled outside the limits of town. In this way, the disappearances went unnoticed, as we would forget their very existence the moment they reached the forest. I was like them, until I had this" He said, lifting his talisman from off his chest.

"An old traveller gave it to me one day. He said he pitied our situation, and that I should at least have a chance. I didnt have the faintest idea what he was talking about at the time, but looking back I suspect it wasn't the first visit he'd had to our village. The next day he was gone, and I was the only one who remembered him. A few days later, and I start to notice that others are going missing too, but no one else believes me. They thought I was going mad, but I wasn't! Soon after that I had found a few others in the village with talismans the same as mine. I learned that these were the witch's followers, planted in town to spy on us. They then knew what I had found out, and thats when they took my niece Ada." Bram slammed his fist against the trunk of a nearby tree, glaring at the back of his own fist.

"My brother had forgotten her. My family as well. I need to get her back! I have to make them remember! I have to kill that witch! And I... may need your help."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:51:18 AM by Bottom_Feeder475 »

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
"Well lad, I think you are right on one score, you will need my help." Anoikis held an open hand in front him in a staying gesture "Now you just stay there, I am going to find me ax.  Don't be moving after me just watch that nothing comes up behind me."  Anoikis steps into the darkness from which the shadow jumped, wiping shards of wine stained pottery out of his thigh as he goes.   

”A HELL ON EARTH” Anoikis screams from the darkness. Bram jumps, and draws his sword. Anoikis returns his dagger between his teeth his hand ax in three pieces in two hands.  Dropping the pieces near his pack he says with disgust "The iron fitting itself is snapped." He takes a step away from Bram and rolls his large pack over between them. Squatting down he unties the lashes that hold it shut.

"First things lad, that sword you have, it is a might piece of work but I doubt you have seen much of the world with it.  You sheathed it when you saw me, while I know I am not a fearful sight all drunk and sprawled out but I still had an ax in my hand and could have split your head like a ...ah...well like a head." Anoikis removes a large polished and engraved piece of wood from his pack. "You did not know fact or fiction about me lad, now here you are right ths, old Anoikis here is about as dangerous as a …ah viper in snow bank” Anoikis smiles at himself about that phrase while bending to his work. “But for a lad that just found his entire life was built on a lie....well…yous awful trusting and I won't take a traveling companion who ain't surly enough to guard his own arse. Yous was polite that is good, yous was friendly that’s good. I am that way, I’d never try to scare or insult my worst enemy, but I am also careful"

Anoikis raises his hand again to stop Bram from responding, and says “One more second lad, I ain’t finished, and I hate to say to this but a lot of good young girls and boys die every day.  If you spent your days saving at least half of em, you’d never have time for a life.”  Anoikis fits two identical arched pieces of metal end to end on either side of either side of the grove that runs down the middle of the wooden stock.  It is a heavy crossbow, with stock at least three feet long and metal prods.  With the blade of his dirk he tightens the prods and pulls a metal stirrup out of his bag.  “Just consider one thing, that town of yours sounds like a gold mine, you know how many cons and snake oil sales men I know that would pay good money just for two days with a town like this. Think about your future lad, you save this girl, you expose the town’s error and kill all those evil collaborators that you grew up with and what will you have personally?  Will it make the town better to know of its shame?  I’d tell you to make peace with this. I’d tell you to make as much gold as you can from those poor saps in Fourcrease and move on.  But I can tell you won’t listen. If you were smart you put yourself first, there’ve been plenty of young lads who sacrificed themselves for others and they’re up dead or alone.”

Anoikis stands with an assembled heavy crossbow, and a detachable crannequinn. He places his foot in the stirrup, attaches the crannequinn to the stock, then the crannequinn to the catch, then the catch to the string and he starts cranking. “Third question lad…well questions. . . how do you know the truth of all this? Did the witch’s lads explain it to you? Yourself said you were ignorant of all these details until somebody gave you that necklace. How do you that isn’t the enchantment itself?” he gestures at the item. “Finally if this is all true, why did they take your niece, why take some one from the one person in the village who could do something about it?  Why not just take your neckless. Unless they expected you to do something about it, we are out of the village right?  Your family has already forgotten you if your enchantress story holds true and perhaps this is just what they want.”

Anoikis squats again pulls out a yeast loaf sized hinged bark wrap, he opens it and reveals 9 cross bow bolts. “I have got 5 silver heads, 3 steal heads and 1 flint head. You expect this witch to be alone or she got a coven?” 

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
OCC: I hope this will be my longest one, just wanted to get all that stuff out.  Do you have a clear idea of where you want this to go?  Let me know and I will be on board.

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »
         Bram took in the mans words with both slight injury to his pride and tacit acknowledgement. "It's true" Bram started, "I haven't much experience with a blade in deadly combat, nor do I have years of adventuring behind me. But one thing I do have, is a sense of smell." he said, placing his finger on the rim of his nose. "Thats how I could tell you apart from the other illusions; once you spoke, the smell of booze and merriment practically took up residence inside my skull. It is not something fey forms can mimic easily. Or... so I've heard. Regardless, it was still foolish of me." He walked over to the man now, this stranger who had helped him, and met his discerning gaze. "Now, to answer your first question, I am not completely sure if this plot I've uncovered is indeed truth. It could all be an elaborate scheme of some sort, but I feel as if I have no choice now; the chance to turn back has long since passed behind me. The reason they did not take my talisman is simply because they do not know I have it. I had over heard some of them talking in secret one night. Apparently, I am not the first to have woken up. There have been others who have broken the spell without the aid of magic interference. All of whom had been abducted, swallowed by some form of magic while they slept. Against this, I later learned, the talisman also protects. So you see, I appeared a far greater threat then any other before them. Luckily for me, they chose the path of caution in my case, or I may have been killed.

They followed me for days, waiting for a chance when I was alone to take me away. I simply never gave them the chance. That is why they took Ada, to lure me here. But I believe it is more then that alone. Eventually, with or without anyone else, I would of had to come here to hunt for the enchantress. Ada might be her leverage in case I get too close."

Bram rested his arm against the hilt of his sheathed sword, pointing with his free hand. "The tales of the enchantress had always said her lair was to the north of the village, in a withering grove surrounded by magic ritual barriers to deter intruders. Tests and obstacles of both mind and body. Those fey forms were only the first.  I dont know how reliable these stories are, but Id argue that they were meant to teach us early that the woods were a treacherous place, and to stay away. It was practically written into law never to enter the forest. No, they must be hiding her here somewhere. I dont think we have to worry about any cult members either. They occupy the town to keep us in line whenever someone wakes up. Now if you want, you could tell me about yourself on the way there. You could start with your name."

He then began walking forward sword drawn yet again, marching to the north.

[OOC]Sorry it took so long dude, wont happen again. Just make a post saying that you're following me, or something similar if you dont want to be railroaded, and I'll post the next part of the story.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:06:25 PM by Bottom_Feeder475 »

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
"Hold on Braim, I am not about to sit around  in dark woods while a zealot lad goes an tangles with fey forms.  I have taken up a bigger foolish and weaker causes under the banners of kings and gods.  I'll take up the banner of yous daft story too, but you will have to wait just a second longer before I follows" Anoikis, places an steel bolt in the bow, and a small latch holds it in place.  He then ties a belt on with holds a small quiver and sheath for his dagger.  He puts on a black enamelled steel skull cap style helmet, places a matching gorget around his neck and clasp steel bracers on his for arms.  "would be so kind as to carry the pack, your young and strong, beside the water in there is blessed you may need it. Blessing don't agree with me. Whatever that thing was that tried to flanks us when that fey form attack it wasn't a wraith or an illusion and it ran north."
He straps the much lighter back onto Bram's back and puts his broken ax head in there.  Anoikis is still disarmed by this boys trust and as he tossing the idea around in his mind he says he starts speaking out loud unawares. "...I am old, death and pain are things I have long resigned to but you lad shouldn't be so eager to get your throat slit..." Bram looks over a shoulder at him, and Anoikis smiles and steps away.  "My forget what my mothers calleds me, but I goes by Anoikis, I thinks it means withouts a home. Okay lad lets keeps a distance a bit so we see but not trips over each other and you lead on"

Anoikis scans the wood again, the feeling of danger and fatigue sitting in him like an old wound, expected but still hurtful. To himself he thinks, "somebody the lad will learn that drunks with axes are more threat than fey forms and witches."

Offline Natone

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
The driving rain, thunder and lightning aimed to distract Huk from the warnings. Many of the older,
prouder trees still did not choose to allow him the closeness he was awarded from the saplings and
grasses. It was these younger shoots that brought the news. Huk spoke to them not with words but
with an inner understanding, a link that few could readily comprehend.

There were strangers in the woods and that often brought trouble. Indiscriminate fires, litter and the
like caused great distress to his adopted kinfolk and those that dwelled within. There was also the
darker side of the forest that chose purposefully to mislead the unwary. They were heading to an
area that he himself had yet to explore, an area where malignant forces were prominent, an area he
had knowingly avoided until now.     .

Huk could not stand by while others moved towards such danger. They were some distance away
and he would need to make haste to stop their folly. He grabbed a waterskin, dagger and
quarterstaff knowing he would need to travel light. Running his tongue over the broken tusk that
betrayed his true ancestry he set forth through the briars that had been his home for over three
seasons now. The thorns allowed his billowing robes to move freely and Huk thanked them for their
kindness. The elements however, attempted to disuade him from his course of action but Huk held
true knowing lives were at stake. The druid knew that a spell to aid his progress might alert unknown
forces so he continued on foot. He had little need of the light bestowed by the flashes in the turmoil
above and was grateful that many of the kinfolk sheltered him from the driving rain. Huk ploughed
onwards.

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
 The weight of the pack sat against Bram's arched back like a boulder sitting in a readied catapult; just a feather of added weight would send it tumbling through the air behind him. And I thought he lightened it!He had to sheath his sword and grab at it with both hands so as to keep the pressure from being too cumbersome. Anoikis must have been much stronger than he originally seemed. It felt good to have someone share his burden who was world weary and wise, even if he was a drunk. The two of them walked on for a good while longer through the woods, until they reached a hill covered by huge rocks and scattered trees. Bram climbed onward, using his sword as a walking stick for balance, ignoring Anoikis's looks of disapproval.

"You know Anoikis, if I had seen you dressed like that when I first saw you, instead of on the ground as I did before, I might not have been as soon to lower my guard." He said at last. "Just how experienced are you anyway?" Anoikis did not get a chance to answer however, as just then there was a sudden shift in the space around them, as if the particles that inhabited the air were connected by stings and suddenly tightened by a shadowed hand; it was a feeling both as unnatural and unnerving as any Bram had ever felt before. There was a piercing silence followed by the sound of hollowed moans, steadily building in volume as the ground around them began to move; resembling ripples running across the surface of water.

Bark stripped from the trees, colliding with scattered rocks and leaves, thrust together within the span of seconds, creating what looked to be the form of four, huge wolves. Each of their bodies was deformed and spindly, lean but fierce, standing at roughly the size of a mastiff hound. A surge of wind kicked up, howling in anger, as these wolf golems lurched towards Bram and Anoikis. Using both his hands to grip the hilt of his sword, Bram swung mightily in a horizontal sweep. It was too much, the fool! Bram felt his feet lose their footing to the power of his attack, which the two wolves that had run at him nimbly dodged, as he careened downward, into the dirt. He pulled himself to his knees as one of the wolf forms raced at him, and he was able to connect a following strike. The beast fell back as if annoyed, stammering slightly, before going at him again.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:16:50 PM by Bottom_Feeder475 »

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Moments before

Walking behind and to the left of the lad, Anoikis watched Bram adjust the weight and his shoulder.  Anoikis's mind shot back a scene from his first campaign: a restless damp over warm mud hut and a pile of mouse filled straw that reeked of the blood and feces of young man that would somebody go by Anoikis.  An elf bolt had got him in the shoulder three days before, the company had placed in that hut with two other wounded men....Charlo? and....

Anoikis vomited. A surge of magical energy slithered through him, snaking about him bowels and compressing his stomach causing the gritty bitter wine to pass over his chipped teeth.  He saw four gnarled unnatural dogs advance at the boy. He didn't have time to ask where they came from. 1They were fast, two came directly at the lad and two bounded around to attack the boys left.   The boy was faster, too fast. 2 The boy responded only to the forward pair, his swing was a wild attack, the weight of it sending him into the leaves and forest floor rot.  Shouldn't have given him the pack.

3"Bears turn their heads to the side before they bite," that bit of advice remembered from his time at the ice-ivory camps, made him pause before releasing his shot. One of the things to the boys left tilted its head to the side and opened its mouth to strike. 4 Anoikis released his bolt, he took one had from the bow stock so it pivoted down and  the stirrup found his foot, and with the newly free had he placed the crannequinn at the back of  the stock.  5He then looked to see if his shot had landed.  That crossbow could put a bolt into a stone wall.  This bolt and passed halfway through the roof of the dog's mouth and pinned that dog's head to the shoulder of the dog next to it. The two connected dogs yanked and struggled with each other like the cruel grotesques at an Orcish fair.  He glanced at the boy.

6The boy's superior speed paid off this time, he batted one of the beasts away with his sword.  The situation laid itself in Anoikis's mind: It would take both hands to load his crossbow, but then he couldn't draw his dagger and where was the fourth dog?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:22:49 PM by axlerowes »

Offline Natone

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
Huks half orc body pushed forwards all the more. The tail of his robes whipped in a frenzy as he
followed the directions he perceived from the younger flora. A sudden uneasy feeling soaked through
him. It was as if the trees had been assaulted and humiliated. As if they had been drawn unwillingly
into a fight not of their making and they were angry.

Huk stumbled as a bout of dizziness filled his very being. The sound of his own footsteps were drowned out by a wailing chorus as each plant protested at the atrocity to its brethren. Picking himself up and wiping a small trickle of blood off his shin Huk heard the wind howl unnaturally in the distance. This did not bode well for the trees or the newcomers.

His mother had recounted how the sound of such a wind had scared her into flight. She was being
chased, so she believed, and ran for her life. That was before the onset of the pustules. A rash or
disease that no amount of salves could soothe. That was when he had been summoned to take her
place while she sought help from healers of her people. The greater distance she placed between
herself and this area the more she recovered thus denying her greatest wish to reside in the woods
she loved so. He could feel her bond and knew she was well in body if not soul.

Huk had convinced himself that the source of her affliction lay ahead. He had often felt that he was
being watched. By whom and for what purpose he knew not, but an entity that could hide itself so well
distressed him. For once a little doubt that he would be up to the task of facing this monstrosity crept
in and he swept it away as he did the rivlets of rain trickling down his face. Thankfully the elements
bothered him less.

His bowed head looked up as distant sounds of conflict came to him and he adjusted his direction. Huk feared he would not make this battle. Even then his tusks and gruff voice often alarmed strangers and his aid might not even be welcome. He endeavoured to try nonetheless.

ooc I was looking to make contact with the party on my next post. If you'd prefer I did it after this encounter please let me know. I am usually on gmt evenings except Thursday. Thanks

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:13:33 PM by Natone »

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
 The wolf form lunged at Bram with a vicsious snarl, sinking its sharp splintered fangs into the flesh of his arm, knocking him on his back. Bram screamed as it shook its head back and forth in a powerful grip, thrashing his entire body left and right. He could make out the vague shapes of two more wolves right in front of his head , cuddling each other between whelps of pain. Blood dripped onto his own face, he could taste it, like copper that had been freshly melted, but cold enough not to burn. His sword had fallen right next to him, but it may as well of been placed in a seperate dimension; for he could not reach it. He kicked from beneath the beast, wailing on it with all his strength. One of his kicks broke through the 'skin' of the wolf, resting its sole on something rough and slightly loose. He grunted as he brought his weight down on it, pushing it through the gullets of his attacker. In an instant the wolf let go, howling wildly at the air, as a small rock burst through its stomach. Brent quickly grasped his blade and swung for the monsters neck, easily decapitating it in one fluid motion. Both the body and the head dissolved back into the natural elements that bore it before hitting the ground.

Bram crawled away from the two wolves above him until he had reached a tree. He picked himself up to his feet by resting on its branches, then placed his back against it. Anoikis was standing far behind him, past the two wolves that had been attached by what he assumed was one of his arrows. Brams injured arm lay limp at his side, with no feeling of any kind. A snarl erupted from his left, he turned to see the fourth wolf running at him with a wicked speed. It jumped into the air and he thrusted his blade upward, catching it just before the wolf could get him. It fell into his sword, snarling just inches from his face, hanging on the hilt before turning back into the forest.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
A moment before the wolf impaled itself on the Bram’s sword.

Was it the age or the wine, Anoikis had lost sight of one of the beasts. Drawing his dagger he glanced left and right to try and find his opponent in the dark woods. The boy’s blow had not injured the wolf as much as he had hoped, and Bram let out a terrible and scream and Anoikis looked over just as the wolf yanked the sword from the boys arm and it was on top him. “The lads done in” he thought, but still flipped the dagger around to throw at the wolf atop the lad.  He paused, if he threw the dagger he would be defenseless and even if killed the beast there were still three others. 

He glanced around again, STILL NO 4th WOLF!

Much to Anoikis’s surprise he heard the wolf on the lad release a terrible howl. Bram had torn the thing apart bare handed!  No slower for his wounds. Bram was up on his feet and beheaded his attacker, before Anoikis could blink.  Anoikis watched Bram stumbled into tree when the forth wolf finally made itself seen.  It leaped from the darkness at Bram, Anoikis didn’t wait to see if connected. Dagger in teeth, he turned his attention to his bow, three familiar actions and he had the cross bow loaded and shouldered he stepped towards Bram keeping this gaze on the two remaining injured beasts.   Anoikis leaned his shoulder into Bram’s to give the injured boy support.  He glanced at Bram to see how much of the lad’s will to fight was left. 

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
"I've still got your pack" Bram said, smiling with gritted teeth. He was gasping and tired; his legs were throbbing like two giant veins. He looked down at his left arm covered in blood and tried to move it. It had become mostly numb, but he was still able to lift it up to his face. The area around the bite mark tinged with pain, and would likely be infected. His head was filled with heat, tired heat, compounding on his skull in a suffocating grip. His right arm felt weak, exhausted by the effort of holding back the wolf form. "You must think me a fool Anoikis. A boy who walks behind the shadow of an unrealistic ideal. It's just been hard, I've been forced along this path and I don't know what else to do. I... I don't..." his voice trailed off as he buried his back into the tree, steadily sinking to the base of it. "I dont want to give up."

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Spitting his dagger on the ground
Anoikis yelled "ACK! LAD, THOSE TWO IF FRONT OF WE STILL DRAW BLOOD, GET EM WITH YEE SWORD BEFORE DAY BREAK LOSE. DEN YEE CAN PASS OUT!"

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
There was darkness. Bram didn't know if his eyes were open or shut. All he knew was the cool sensation running through his body. Perhaps he was in a lake somewhere, suspended by the water as it slowly lulled him to sleep, pulling him under...

A sound came from out in the distance, hollow and thin, reverberating towards him, blocked by the cold that had gripped his ears, submerging all but his face. Again the sound went off, this time louder, a voice. Yes, now it was clear; it was the voice of a young woman; and it was familiar. A fire lit in his chest as he heard the child speak these words, ""Help me."

Bram opened his eyes. The dark forest surrounded him, staring back in silence. He stood up and turned to face the two wolf forms behind him, charging with a renewed strength, sword held high above his head. "NOW DIE!!!!" He bellowed, slamming his sword down on the two conjoined heads, once, twice, three times until they reverted back to nature. Another shift in space occurred, this time weaker then before, and all was well again. He gasped for air and sat down on the ground, looking at Anoikis with a slight smile. "Maybe we could rest for a bit? Just (gasp) to catch our breath?"

[OOC] I hope I'm not munchkining the story up so far. I don't want Bram to take up the entire spotlight. Im just kind of winging the story as I go along too BTW, so don't think you cant do stuff because it might mess with the plot or whatever. Also, Im not sure if you want me to direct the enemies towards you or if you would like to have some control over them too. Again, I'm new to this forum type of RPing. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:44:35 PM by Bottom_Feeder475 »

Offline Natone

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 02:19:04 AM »
Huk was close now. He could smell them. Not the odour of moss and pine but the sweat of battle on
all too clean bodies. They were quiet and he was angered with himself for being too late. The scene he came across surprised him. Not the remains of human corpses but live ones albeit somewhat fatigued from their recent encounter. Unnatural piles of bark, leaves and twigs lay strewn about and Huk now realised what had caused the kinfolk such anger.

He adjusted himself into a less threatening manner. His appearance alone often caused heckles to rise. He cleared his throat. A low rumble echoed forth. "I arrive too late to help you. Huk...Lightstryder apologises." He used his mothers name as his fathers drew too much attention of the wrong kind. He
preferred just Huk.

He did not get any closer to the pair. They were fresh from battle and he did not want to antagonise
them. Though he looked mostly human his tusks and the tinge to his skin gave him away. His robes were sodden at the bottom. He placed his quarterstaff by his side and drew his waterskin taking a long gulp all the time keeping an eye on the two. Almost stoppering it he proffered the bottle to the
pair. "You drink?"

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:39 AM »
Anoikis trained his bow on the new man? He released his finger from the trigger that controlled the bolt latch and the small arm that held the bolt in place locked it in. But  he didn't lower his bow.  He looked into Huk's eyes for a 20 count to see if we would flinch, the half breed met Anoikis's gaze honest and silent.  The only sound was a dying rain patter and Bram's labored breathing.  "Either he is friendly or tougher than me or both, either way he wins the stare down" Anoikis thought. He tilted his head towards Huk, and nodded towards the crumpled heap of youth and determination that was a bloodied Bram.   Huk moved over to Bram rolled him into sitting position.  Huk poured water down the lads throat, and wordlessly offered to exam Bram arm.  Bram choked and coughed up water as way of agreement, Anoikis thought of his own tunic covered in vomit, his incomplete suit of armor and  the wine stained trousers. Anoikis had to smile.  Huk took Bram's hand and forearm in his own hands and moved Bram's hand around probingly.  "Nothing torn" Huk said, "It can be healed"

Anoikis spoke "Braim of da village Forthcastle, tell yous new friend what dis missing girls looks like and what she's likely to be wearing, he 'ight 'ave seen her."

occ:  We needed to establish Bram's combat ability. After all Anoikis's questioning the narrative was unsure of Bram's abilities. We now know that Bram is very fast, strong and brave in the face of danger. I think we needed to have that on the table...though it may have been fun to let that go uncertain till the final encounter.  Overall I thought this was a collective story more than a forum RPG, so don't worry about moving my character around. 

Offline Natone

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
[ooc] I don't think we are supposed to be playing each others character. Although Huk would have acted the same way. I think Bottom_Feeder meant when it came to npcs and the overall storyline. [/ooc]

Huk gently lowers the arm. "This may help". The half orc kept his sentence brief. From a pocket within his robes he drew a small packet of dried leaves, shaking them to show the others he added some spittle unaware how Bram might feel on the matter. He gently rubbed the cooling plants to the arm hoping that this would reduce any swelling and bruising. "It will last a Suns passing. Maybe less with rain".

"Bram" Huk pointed to Bram as confirmation. "and your name?" Huk pointed a finger to Anoikis and purposefully left out the word human.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:56:10 AM by Natone »

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »
"That is Anoikis" Bram answered. "You have my thanks Huk, my arm already feels much better." Indeed, the numbness had faded and now entered a throbbing phase. It didnt hurt, it just was, and as such Bram couldnt complain. He stood up now and looked around at his two new companions. How strange that they would make themselves known to him here and now, so close to Fallcrest all this time.

"Do you live here Huk? Have you seen anyone traveling from the north towards the village? A small girl about 9 years of age, brown hair and blue eyes? She was abducted by a witch here in the woods just hours ago, carried away by her magic. Any thing you've seen cold be of great benefit to me."

Offline Natone

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
" Anoikis...Anoikis" Huk repeated out loud trying to pronounce it correctly. Then, seeing that he might be considered a simpleton, he answered Bram. "Mother guarded woods. She was taken ill by bad magic." He swallowed loudly. "I come take her place. For three seasons I learn, I explore. The bad magic comes from where you head I think. The kinfolk...." He stretches his arms wide as if introducing everyone around him "...feels the same".

Huk hoped his explanation was sufficient. His natural voice struggled to make his sound understood. "I seek this dark one. To end the bad ways. Maybe they take the little one but my friends and I not know where". He took another deep breath. "It is a powerful dark one I..maybe we...face..yes?"

Offline Bottom_Feeder475

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
It took a moment for Huk's broken speech to make sense to Bram. When it did, he looked solemnly at Anoikis, then back to the shaman. "So it seems we have a similar goal then. We could travel together, to protect others from the illness befallen your mother and rescue my village. But what was it about friends you mentioned? Are there others out here like you? Would they help us?"

[OOC] Natone, would you mind if I took control of your character for minor responses or actions in the interest of moving the story along a little faster? Otherwise we have to wait a few hours for each individual response to every question and interaction between the party.

Offline Natone

• Apprentice
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »
The druids were too spread out to obtain help. Each druid faced its own problems. His Mothers village had long thought him an outsider and that too was too far to call on help. Another child might go missing in that time. "I have none to summon quickly. Anoikis, you come from same town?. Fallcrest yes? Huk relaxes a little more with the exchanges."or you have a different story to tell?"

[ooc]No problem if you want to hurry along feel free to take over the character[/ooc]