llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Viral Plague  (Read 1189 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Viral Plague
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
I've recently developed an idea of for some type of plague which affects amphibious beings.  It takes the form of a virus which infects aquatic animals and then alters their D.N.A to transform them into monstrous beings that work in unsion to help the virus further propagate. Is this something that anyone would care to read? Also, are there any cliches that I need to avoid? Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • ABWB: Always Be World building
  • Awards Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: Viral Plague
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
Yes, I love me some science and experiments are much easier to design when the whole verse is controlled.   I recently worked idea into a campaign regarding parasitic crystals which infect warm blood animals and the infected animals then work in unison to spread the crystals.   I'd love to hear more about and if you write it up I can promise you an ethusiastic audience of at least one.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:00:31 AM »
I've recently developed an idea of for some type of plague which affects amphibious beings.  It takes the form of a virus which infects aquatic animals and then alters their D.N.A to transform them into monstrous beings that work in unsion to help the virus further propagate. Is this something that anyone would care to read? Also, are there any cliches that I need to avoid? Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

The Shadow over Innsmouth

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »
Got it. Thanks a lot for the tip, Scras.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
Yes, I love me some science and experiments are much easier to design when the whole verse is controlled.   I recently worked idea into a campaign regarding parasitic crystals which infect warm blood animals and the infected animals then work in unison to spread the crystals.   I'd love to hear more about and if you write it up I can promise you an ethusiastic audience of at least one.
Oh, I certainly intend to write it. I see it as some type of vampiric plague almost, as the virus is spread via the bite of infected hosts. In order to survive, the virus requires a constant supply of blood and made necessary modifications to its hosts in order to ensure that this end is attained. However, ultimately, the necessary changes take such a great toll on the host animal that its body quickly begins to decay, forcing the virus to latch onto a new vessel. While it endures within a certain host population however, a primitive hive mind emerges which aims at infecting as many new host animals as possible.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
So if the virus needs blood, lets say that it needs RBCs, then one route the virus might take in the short term is to increase EPO Erythropoietin production in its host.  This would increase the number of RBCs in the host and as a side effect increasing the host athletic ability.  In reality the differences might be subtle for somebody who isn't pushing their muscles'  max oxygen requirements but certainly this could be used to help justify an increased stamina and greater tolerance of low oxygen levels in the infected people.  Sustained increased EPO production leads  to kidney damage and high blood pressure.   

So is this just going to infect newts and frogs or will it infect people as well?

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:30:43 AM »
To answer your question, nope, at least not in the short run. It might potentially infect humans someday but I imagine that the virus would fist have to mutate significantly in order to make that leap.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »
So do you envision this plague being a threat to mammals or humans?  Does the virus hive mind try to support the expansion of its host species as a means to spreading its own DNA?