llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pulp Dungeons  (Read 759 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Drackler

• Procrastinating Poet
  • Strolenati
  • Knight
  • I will name him George!
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5
    • D12 Needs Love, Too
    • Awards
Pulp Dungeons
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:07:52 AM »
 I recently found a package of four Pulp Dungeons at my local gaming store. I read through them and, to tell the truth, was impressed. The four adventures were very different, but intertwined. Sometimes, this was a mere matter of "if the characters read this magic book, then they will be transported to area 5 of..." or something of the sort. The adventures use a generic system that references "hits" and "saves". Hits are equal to the average damage done by a sword in your game system of choice, or the maximum damage done by a dagger. The saves are rolled on a d6. The harder the save, the less rolls that will succeed.
 In other words, there are four adventures- dungeons crawls, pretty much- which can easily adapt to any fantasy system, can be thrown in anywhere, and can link together. Or, they can be used as-is for a very simple RPG by assigning a hit to equal a d6 (thereby needing only a few d6's and some rough'n'tumble character creation to play).

All this made me wonder: Could these be sold now? Would anyone want to buy them? More importantly, would anyone use them? What do you think?
"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, or the temples of his gods."

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Re: Pulp Dungeons
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:12:21 AM »
Isn't DnD 4th edition exactly that? I mean, pulp dungeons in pulp fantasy?
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: Pulp Dungeons
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »
I think that it could be marketable, though I'm pretty sure it would have to be an eBook market. I just don't think there would be enough gamers in any one location to make it profitable for the print run you'd need to do to cover a large area, unless you had a specific area in mind, one with an uncommonly high concentration of target audience.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --