llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Poll

What do you think of Guardians of Order?

I love them!
1 (12.5%)
They're good.
3 (37.5%)
I don't care about them.
0 (0%)
I dislike them.
0 (0%)
I mailed them anthrax.
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: July 22, 2003, 01:36:18 AM

Author Topic: Guardians of Order  (Read 1880 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Guardians of Order
« on: July 22, 2003, 01:36:18 AM »
Hey!

Guardians of Order, a Canadian game companie. Makers of the (excellent) Tri-Stat system, much Anime-based material (Which I think is lovely), soon to be the revivers of the long dead Tekumel RPG.

What do you think of them?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
And let us not forget...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 02:08:59 AM »
Let us not forget Silver Age Sentinel, the best Super Heroic Roleplaying game since Champions 4th edition.  Though it also comes in a d20 flavor, the tri-stat version is very useful and the source material for their game is top knotch. Super Hero players should by the game just for the source material.  

Originally Tri-Stat was a beer and pretzel sort of game system, but they have codified and expanded it into a solid useful system.  

And they are the new publisher of Noblis.

What is not to like about these people?  

Origin
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
I guess we are the only ones that care.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 03:25:09 AM »
<rant/>
That is really a pity actually.  If people learned that there was more to gaming than Hasbro/ WotC/ TSR, they would see new vistas to explore, different genres, games that could fit their specific taste.  I mean, there are games other than fantasy roleplaying in the Tolkein mold.

I have had conversations with a number of young gamers who have no idea that anything besides D20/ D&D exists. That is all they have ever seen.  Their friendly local gamestores or the gamer clerk at their local bookstore is really doing these gamers a serious disservice. I mean my local gamer clerk stocks dozens of games. While most are D20 (Star Wars, EQ, and D&D), but there is some WhiteWolf, Traveller, and Silver Age Sentinal.  There are D20 products that break out of the Tolkein mold that they can put in.  Let alone the other games that are produced, but not normally distirbuted by channels used by main line book sellers.  

On the internet we have access to information; information about a number of different kinds of games. You can hit general websites, do searches for types of games (Anime Roleplaying comes up with more sites than you expect), or follow the links.  You can expand your horizon beyond that of your limited bookstore/ comic store selection.  Yet, most people... even those on the internet, only see/ search for the things they can see infront of them or have experienced directly.  So they are still in the D&D/D20 mold, despite being able to learn more.  

Sigh.
</rant>
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Guardians of Order
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 10:53:36 PM »
Well.
I can see that Dark Horse Games in Boise is not the little podunk gaming store I thought it was! They carry D20, Tri-Stat, and various others in roughly equal proportion. They have a sign above the counter that says:

"First we'll get Microsoft.
Then, watch your back, Wizards of the Coast!"
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Guardians of Order
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 01:05:55 PM »
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30516#30516

Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK! Tekumel is great. Tekumel is Great! GUARDIANS OF ORDER ROCK!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
tekumel
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 09:55:41 AM »
Setting: Insanely detailed (look at www.tekumel.com if you don't believe me.) You have very complex clan-based society providing for lots of intrigue. The setting feels like a fantasy (albeit non-Western) even though it is actually far in the future. You have sword and sorcery however there is also highly advanced technology lost in the world, this provides for exploration and dungeon crawl. The setting is human-centered, but there are quite a few non-humans race that range from interresting to bizarre. Deities are very important in the setting, as is personal and clan honor. It is truly unique so it hard to compare it to anything else, but if I had to I'd say picture the clan/honor structure of L5R + the science fantasy of Thundarr the Barbarian + a vibe of Vance's Dying Sun + a healthy dose of Mayan/Aztec/Indian flavor and you might get something like Tekumel.

The Book: Very pretty, nice layout, it comes with a great big poster map. The information contained is very nicely layed out and flows well. Lots of little sidebars and organziation that helps you understand the world's vibe. For example the non-humans have both a Stereotypes and The Reality sections for background. There is a lot of background in the book.

The System: Derived from Guardians of Order Tri-stat system that is used for BESM and SAS. The system seems a little more crunchy than typical Tri-stat, which in this case is a good thing. It is point-based character creation with six attributes (Str, Dex, Intelligence, Psyche, Charisma , Willpower), with the option to buy other nifty things (like Ambidextrous or a Aptitude with a skill) and a skill sytem. It's roll under (on a d10) a target number determined by Attr+Stat. There is a neat system for special items that could be used to really have customized equipment. (The fact the setting reflects personal status through possesions makes this a very nice thing.) I'd say the system is more complex than BESM but slightly less complex than d20. The setting is integrated into the character creation, such that as you build your character you pick up some setting info. In fact, the first two steps of character creation are pick your clan and pick your deity. Also the system suggests many optional rules, and different campaign levels (from gritter to heroic, from low to high status) are built in the system.

Edit- More information

The closest connection this game has to BESM is a green triangle on the back with Tri Stat Derived around it. Anyone that realizes this connection to BESM knows too much about the system already to make fun of you.  

If you are looking you any of the following you may want to check out Tekumel...
non-standard fantasy
non-Western fantasy
fantasy with technology in a non-contrived way
something different
something detailed
something with potential for intrigue
if the word "post-technological" gives you goose-bumps
if you think Mayan/Aztec/Egyptian/Chinese/Japanese/Indian cultures are cool
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit