llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Forged in Fire: Knives  (Read 301 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
Forged in Fire: Knives
« on: June 06, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »
I've found myself watching the History Channel program Forged in Fire. It's simple, four smiths are given a random raw material, like a car, wrought iron, etc, and have 3 hours to harvest said metal and make a knife blade from it. From this, I have seen a great deal of creative metal working, and learned that there are a very large number of knives, barongs, bowies, camp knives, recurved knives, and so forth, revealing a great deal of depth from the basic entry Knife - 1d4 dmg - small

So, the challenge is simple.

Make a knife.

A magic knife, an ethnic knife, a blade of the dead, the d**ned, made of an exotic material, etc.

The twist: oekaki. You have to write it in one sitting, and ideally it should be between 300 and 1000 words.

I don't want to see the generic knife or dagger.

" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Forged in Fire: Knives
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:07:32 AM »
Looking around the shop I spy a cracked spittoon (wonder what beast spit in that hard enough to crack it?!), an iron chain, a child's femur and an orangutan skull.  With a 2 hour deadline, there is not enough time to go hunting for anything better.

Firing up the forge, and whipping the child to get it properly heated, the spittoon and iron chain are settled to heat.

While waiting, the femur is sawed to a sized to allow a portion of it to serve as a hilt. Taking a couple swings, it seems like it has a nice shape and decent hand grip. Not sure at this point if it will be wrapped in ligament or left as is. Might have to get some fresh ligament eyeing the boy stoking the forge fire. We shall see.

Back to the forge, the slow process of combining the spittoon and chain are in progress. While heating, the remaining piece of the femur is ground down and sprinkled over the bonding metals with a small enchantment to bind the dissimilar pieces together. They combine poorly and the femur cantrip doesn't seem to be holding that well. But it is getting to be the 45 minute mark so there is no turning back.

Running out of femur flux I decided to move to a heavier cantrip that balances on the edge of curse. But I have to get these things bonded at this point so let's do it. Debating quickly I take the femur I was going to use as the handle and quickly grind it for more flux and chant/curse.

The metals' ting resonates through the forge and now a slight greenish hue with bits of yellow emanates from the forged blade. Definitely not what I was trying to do...but it is bonding. A couple more folds, some more powdered femur and a few more chants has the blade setup pretty well.

Shaping commences. The blade forms. The rough tang extends. The glow dissipates a little as I use a few other small chants I know. That green glow is fading and the blade looks very solid.

Man, running out time now!  Lots of detail work left, best just to get the blade thinned a bit and put an edge on it. Just enough time after a quick fit for a handle.

With only the skull to use for the handle, things get hectic. Smashing the orangutan skull on the ground with another chant had the jaw bone pop out and flatten. Some more words as the jawbone is shaped and flattened more to provide the two sides of the handle. Teeth have to be ground a bit to not bite into the hand as it grips. No time to drill holes to hold the handle so will use some glue and a couple more chants. Running out of chants and running out of time!

Grip is solid, but still need an edge on the blade. Only a few minutes left. Not enough to do it naturally. The idiot boy is still stoking the fire. Brilliant! Well, we can quench and sharpen in one go, but not sure how that curse is going to work and I have no idea if this is one of the greatest ideas I have ever had but....

Knife heats, glow is strong. Curse is on my lips as I pull it from the fire and plunge it into the child's chest. A sharp hiss and a very distinct *ting.*

d**nit.

I self assure that it was the child's sternum cracking or some other harmless noise. But I know it wasn't. My blade cracked during the quench. No way I will win this round....even if it does survive the sharpness test of chopping through the bamboo or the strength test hacking an ice block.

The green hue coalesces as I pull it from the boy's chest. The blood continues to flow into the knife as if it is hungrily sucking it in. The handle twitches under my fist as I turn to look for the crack I know is somewhere. As I twist it, looking down the back of the knife to see if it is true the handle opens up on me and a ball of green, pungent slime spits from the handle with a distinct *ting* directly into my face with and everything goes black.

Well, our panel of judges have reviewed the Spitting Blade and it was a complete success. Sharp, strong and straight. The grip's orangutan teeth give it a solid feel that gives you the confidence that it won't slip. The quenching and sharpening in the blood gives a solid strength to it and it didn't chip at all during the ice block test. Sliced right through the bamboo. The femur flux allowed the odd metal combination to bond in a very successful fashion. Very well balanced and didn't twist. As long as you don't look into the mouth of the orangutan grip where it spits acid at you, it is very safe to use. Simply covering that up will solve that issue and could come in handy in some specific instances.  I would say, this is a very fine blade. It will kill. Hahahah...you are right. It did kill. This blade did kill.

Next up to be reviewed is....

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
That's epic
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Plot Guild Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
I love that show! Wrote it quick in one sitting. Had no idea what the hell I was going to do with an orangutan skull!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.