Notes about my upcoming session for them thar kids.
System: 1st ed. Dungeons & Dragons (Not my homebrew which I use for adults)
The last time they:
- Fought the black wraith and "liberated" him of the Blood Lantern, an evil relic that had been thrusted into his heart (a lantern with a spear-tip designed to draw blood from the lanterns host).
- Deliver reward for the liberation of the lantern.
- Remember to foreshadow the employer's evil intentions, and his future return as an antagonist
- Do a straight forward combat mission. The kids love that.
- It all starts at "The Black Stag", a rowdy tavern sporting a pit fight arena and multi-tasking wenches that deliver both ale and other pleasures... errr.. .wait... kids.... Scratch that. The wenches definitely only serve... eh, milk.
- After having eaten some, perhaps fought a few rounds in the pit, and so on, a certain "Captain Sendar" enters the tavern and starts recruiting patrons. His voice is deep barytone, and he promises gold and glory to whoever wants to enlist in the mercenary company "Sandar's Scoundrels". "We have a wealthy patron that needs our services!", he states. "Whoever joins us will partake of his fat wallet, we only need to bash a few skulls to get there!"
- The mission turns out to be a nighttime raid on the river island temple of the death god
- The goal of the raid is to liberate the temple of the Ustarch Rod, another holy relic
- At completion of the quest, the PCs (standing back in the crowd) will recognize the employer as the same as the one hiring them to retrieve the blood lantern.
- As Captain Sendar asks for the reward, a flesh golem-ish creature (perhaps partially made of an old ally of the PCs) appears, walking like a hunchback, with the blood lantern thrust into the lump on his back. He wields two two handed swords, and starts slaying at will, butchering the mercenaries without effort. Let the PCs have at him, but let them somehow escape with their lives intact.
- End of evening