llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Modern Weapons  (Read 3019 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Modern Weapons
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
Ok kind of a random question but I'm calling out all of you modern genre GMs. I am looking for some type of updated modern weapon list. I am currently running a super hero genre (Heroes Unlimited) and frankly their listed of weapons is limited and their list of damage for them seems all identical.

So this is the main reason I never did get back to the Untold War material or put up the three Hells I started. God running a game sucks sometimes.
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia

Online Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: Modern Weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
For palladium games, the palladium compendium of modern weapons )latest edition) is a good resource for several hundred small arms, from pistols and rifles, to sub machine guns and heavier stuff, like rockets and missile launchers.

"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:36:25 AM »
Unfortunately the weapon damage is rediculas. A pistol does the same damage as a rifle as well as a large two handed sword. Looking for something to help out with damage.

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia

Online Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Elite NPC Guild Questor 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:27:34 AM »
Ah that problem, it's a failing of palladium's rule system, and one they refuse to address. (By their rules a main with a baseball bat and a physical strength (P.S) of 20 can do more damage to a target then a  a .9mm handgun or even 12 gauge shotgun fired point blank.  :down: )

as I see it two options:

#1 Use a different rule system that's more current realistic. (Those palladium rules haven't been updated since around the early 1990's?)

#2 tweak the firearms to be more lethal in one (or all) of the following ways.

- Damage from a firearm bypasses S.D.C entirely and goes directly to hp, this makes most firearms lethal in 1-3 shots, with a good damage roll.

-The strike roll is added into the damage roll for more damage. (Whatever you roll on your twenty sider when rolling to strike is added to the damage, I.E a roll of 15 to hit  = +15 to the damage total)

Rather then a random die value (i,e 2dr, 4d6 etc..) all firearms automatically do the maximum amount of damage possible per strike. (I.e a 4d6 hand gun does 24 points of damage every hit, a 2d6 pistol round 12 points, etc..)

Using all of these together makes firearms incredibly (realistically) lethal, and even a punk in an alley with a Saturday night special can spell grievous injury or death for an unarmored character.

Of course when using such optional enhancements it's advisable to make sure the players  are able to properly equip their super heroes with abilities or equipment to  help protect against these now deadly weapons. (Properly outfitted Punisher style gun bunny characters will  now be almost on par with Batman and Johnny Torch in terms of damage capability and posing a serious threat to would be villains.

Online EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Questor Master Questor Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:40:32 AM »
I suggest using GURPS High Tech - for example the 3rd edition print, dunno if it has been re-printed for the 4th.
It features historically accurate descriptions of guns from arquebuses to modern assault rifles and anti-tank guns. Even has a section on military ordnance - rockets, missile launchers, grenades, cannons.

Also, the system accounts for various gun calibers, how they behave against unarmored and armored targets at what range, weapon reliability, recoil, rate of fire...

Of course, you have to take into account that a single guy with a Kalashnikov can end a character in a second.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
Rolemaster modern era has a couple of good supplements. I can't remember the name of the one I have (Firearms law?) but it lists an exhaustive listing of weapons, categorizing them by muzzle energy in 30 categories. It comes with the trademark Rolemaster critical tables as well.

I like that system because it reminds me of how I was trying to do it in the rules I was putting together a rather long, long time ago.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »
Thanks silver. I'll look into it. Ice had the core rule of cortex for years just never did anything with it. And after seeing you switches your DR from palladium to cortex I may switch as well didn't know you were on those boards though I've been skulking there for years.

Current guild quest.
Hewdamia

Online Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
If you ever need/want my dead reign conversion notes from palladium to Cortex just say the word ;)