llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Stone world (rough idea)  (Read 2986 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Stone world (rough idea)
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:50:52 PM »
A world of stone and water. No trees as such, but lichens, small green plants and the like.No metals close to the surface so tools are made of stone and bone. Herbivores feed on the plants, carnivores on the herbivores. Any thoughts to eventually develop this into a world as complex as Acqua?

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Questor Master Questor Elite NPC Guild NPC Guild
    • Awards
Re: Stone world (rough idea)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:46:19 AM »
While providing an unique setting, I noticed you have a propensity for writing up worlds defined by one environment... which limits them somewhat (alcohol world, oxygen world, gold world, etc....)

Thus, I suggest to take the stone issue more creatively. There may be moving mountains, races of stone, all kinds of magic stone, races where males are stone and females flesh, whatever.

You may wish to exaggerate its rocky features - descriptions of arches, canyons, plateaus and peaks... it may be very rugged. Be sure to emphasize the majesty of mountains, the grandiousness of a great cliff spanning from horizon to horizon and ending in clouds below... most of the world will not be level, but hilly, with terraced fields
The seas may be small, or strewn with cliffs, or otherwise dominated by stone.

Remember the motto: Rock My World!
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
Interesting, very much so. What better planet then one with people of Stone to live in? :) I'll be going on holiday in a few days...once back,I'll slowly start work on the world. Like I did with Acqua,a world dominated by water.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
I picture trees, but those that find those little nooks and grow sideways out of a cliff. Bonzai. Maybe a tree that can grow in a crack and they are used specifically to split rock. Without much metal it would be cool to have something that allows them to shape rock. Perhaps the moss or some breeds of trees can be groomed to make exact cuts in the rock. How long it takes could be up for debate.

Bonzai. Since trees would be more rare in this type of environment then those that do grow might be holy or super respected and treated or shaped like Bonzai? A whole society bent around the patient forming of the few trees that they are able to grow.

With moss and lichen being a primary I pictured a rolling tundra of green covered rock in a misty/moist area. As green as rolling hills of grass except in the super healthy hue of thriving moss. Dangerous territory as well as it is very slippery and the rocky crevasses could be known to swallow clumsy travelers whole...or just grab legs and arms and never let them go.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
Small trees sounds good. :)

Offline Zailtais

• Nomad
  • Black Dog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »
Just a few quick thoughts:
If the landscape is very mountainous it could be that weather is extremely erratic. Wind might whip through rocky valleys. There could be places deep within the mountains where water is practically non-existant because rain clouds cannot reach it.

If the landscape is very flat without trees the weather could be more consistent, but you could be prone to tornadoes.

Without trees and with a preponderance of lichens/mosses maybe herbivores have sucking, scraping mouths rather than clipping and grinding teeth?

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Elite Questor Master Questor Elite NPC Guild NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 02:25:10 AM »
Let there be trees, but twisted, bent by wind, and/or localized to secluded places. You can also have brekcie-like shrub, with hard wood, hard leavs and thorns.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
So, my main question is what sort of of mood and theme are you wanting to present with this stone world.

If you watch any post apocalyptica most of those scene dressings are urban ruins and rock and sand. Plants are rare and treasured when they can be found. With a lack of vegetation, there is a greatly restricted supply of food, and there are correlations between the presence of trees and rainfall in a given area. Cut down the trees in an area and eventually the rainfall in the area decreases. So, that would be the desperate world where survival is an everyday battle against a vast and austere world, hard and brown. While rock is rare, in the Dune universe Arrakis is pretty much a dry rock and stone world. Again, everything is eventually going to revolve around the sheer lack of resources. Is water present in any amount, are there streams and lakes, or is everything locked up in underground reservoirs and aquifers?

Is your rock world dynamic or static? Are there volcanoes and earthquakes? A dynamic world has potential, it's growing and tearing itself into existence. The civilizations there are growing just like their world. A vast stone basic might crack, vent a huge plume of gas and steam before a sea of superheated water boils up and fills it. There is water, and now that it is free of the depths of the world, it can start cooling. Storms are big, volcanoes are big, and so forth.

Then there is the dead rock world. The seas are dry, the forests have petrified, and the ancient fertile plains have calcified while the rivers of old are now vast salt pans. Contrast with the post apoc world, the dead world isnt recovering, its never going to get better, and the sense of despair should be palatable, like being in a nursing home where the nurses are in their sixties and the residents are well into their nineties. The end is near.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 03:59:09 AM »
You know, I'd go for a pulp game - where the world is not dead, there's not as much despair as there is a challenge. The world makes people rough and tough.

Simply put: if you're badass enough, the world will be a place where you actually can thrive. Of course, you will be threatened by badass people and critters, but you'll simply have to be even more badass.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »
I'm thinking of a dynamic world....volcanos, warm seas and rivers...marshes,where non-Stone races are relitively safe from maurading Stones, bonzai-like trees and the like. I'll try to start on it before I  go on holiday abroad on Wedsneday.