llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Fast Exit  (Read 47642 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
Re: A Fast Exit
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
"Thank you.  It would be secure, I believe, from casual robbing, but not from professionals.

Doctor - can you confirm this without removing it? I assume now she has provided a bit of information this is possible? Ideally, I would like to to know its make and model.

Turning to Minerva, "Once this all checks out, you will have the opportunity to present yourself to the captain for possible employment on this trip, it is his call.  As for computer access, I'm afraid it might be quite some time before that would be an option - if at all.

It of course would have been a lot easier if you had mentioned this earlier - I can't take your word on anything at this point in time so you'll have to earn trust."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
Autumn grinned, her pink tongue lolling to the side of her jaws as she felt the tension ebbing from the room; hopefully their new passenger would prove useful and forego any more surprises. "I could use an assistant to aid with the ships maintenance, your computer skills would be put to good use running diagnostics and debugging automated subroutines, if the captain agrees of course."

Better to keep the new comer close at paw for now, and see if she is trustworthy, besides, such mechanical work was always less tedious with someone to swap stories with.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:26:23 PM by Autumn »

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Locations Guild Elite Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
Jerome looked over to Autumn.

"We can discuss specific assignments and access levels should the captain accept her employment. I believe you two would make a good team."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
Breathing a deep sigh of relief, Minrva looked thankfully up at Jerome and Autumn.

"I'm haven't had much experiance in maintenance and engineering, but I can learn. If I am to be accepted by the captain"

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
Autumn nodded to Jerome in agreement, "Of course, although I suspect Yulo would rather his passengers work for their meals rather then laze about like pups with bellies full of sweet meats." She paused as another thought occurred to her. "You've been on the run for some time miss, do you not have a travelling pack of supplies and extra clothes stashed somewhere about? Better we retrieve it now before that half wit with the scanner stumbles across it and soils himself in fear."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:44:18 PM by Autumn »

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
"Yes, I do. It should still be attached to the crate that I was behind. I've got some spare clothes, a book on artefacts, and spare munitions."

"would you kindly let me sit up Doctor?"

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
'Sunny' imaged the implant with a hand held sensor, then shrugged. "It certainly does not actively broadcast - now. From my limited expertise, it is indeed an unconnected memory card in a sheath. She pushed a button, and released Minerva. "Come back for vaccinations, recruit, 20:00 shipboard time. Until then, you're Autumn's."

She thought a little, then caught up with the leaving gang. "Minerva - I could, limitedly, alter your fatures, to reduce the chance of recognition. It would not be painless, but certainly useful. But for now - dismissed."

Autumn led their newest recruit down the corridor to the engine section, when they almost collided with Jarvis, in his six foot six lanky glory. Busy flicking the remote controls on a maintenance drone (given the fact they had one: the maintenance drone, he still managed to find the time to beam with pride.
"I found the bomb! The one this spy..." he poked Minerva's forehead, "managed to plant on the ship. But it will soon be out of the airlock, and can blow up in space. No need to thank me for saving you all."
He poked a few more buttons, and the drone began to move its cylindrical body down the corridor.
"Saving all, even you, you little terrorist."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »
Autumn gave Jarvis an incredulous look, doubting he could tell the difference between a bomb and simple pistol cartridges. "Bomb? Many things on board this ship have explosive or inflammatory potential, from the armory's grenades, or kitchens alcohols, to several cleaning fluids used in keeping this ship operational, I would know the details behind the bomb you found before you go chucking our supply of engine de-greaser out the air lock on a whim."

Given this pups initial panicked screaming over the intercom like an unbred &^%$@ in heat, she doubted he'd be this casual or confident were he to find a real bomb.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:46:35 PM by Autumn »

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Elite Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »
"Ha! It's safe and locked in the drone's belly now, the spy's satchel! I found it near her nest, strapped to conducts, ready to blow. But not on my watch."

He poked the remote, and prompted the drone into the airlock.

"Youlo is bound to give me a raise after this."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
"You aren't throwing out my things!"

"Which reminds me, what'll happen to my sidearm, I need it for protection when I'm off ship. Will it be kept in the armoury until such a time as needed, or will I be allowed to carry it freely?"

She hoped they'd let her keep it. But throwing it out was just dumb. After this little stint she couldn't really blame them though, they were only being cautious.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
"Yes I am, I'm throwing out your bomb and your spy things for spying!"
He poked a button on the remote, and the drone rolled into the airlock.
"Terrorist."

"You're not happy now, are you? I foiled your plan!"
The techie was swollen with pride, with bliss stemming from righteous vindication and justice done.

"Now watch as your terrorist stuff floats into space!"
Jarvis proceeded towards the airlock controls.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »
Autumn sighed inwardly, some people would go to any lengths to  get praised as a hero, even if it meant jettisoning someones luggage and claiming to be a savior. Taking two quick steps forward she placed herself securely between Jarvis and the airlock controls, her lips pulling back in a faint snarl, a low growl rumbling in the back of her throat.

"Not going to happen little man, some bombs detonate when exposed to vacuum, and an explosion in the airlock would be a lethal decompression risk to this entire section of the ship." She leaned closer, until her muzzle was inches from his face, her words carefully measured.  "Until Jerome says otherwise, nothing more is happening with that bag, clear?"

Autumn glanced over at Jerome, giving him a nod of support, ready to follow his lead concerning this potential threat to their safety.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:47:32 PM by Autumn »

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »
Without waiting for a response, Jerome went up the airlock controls and made sure the fool hadn't depressurized the chamber yet.

Once done, he removed the bag and drone from the chamber.

"Minerva -you go speak to the captain. I will review the contents, as well have the status of your weapon determined. "

"Jarvis," Jerome spoke slowly, " I appreciate your diligence, but you are come see me before you take any such actions. The captain's orders were to find things, not attempt to dispose. It could have exploded when you touched it. "

Apparently common sense was not a factor when screening employees on this ship... thought Jerome to himself.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
Relieved that Jerome had stepped in. She turned to him, smiling gratefully.

"Would you show me where the Captain is to be found? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the ship."

Worst part seems to be over, maybe I'll even be looking at employment..

With that cheerful thought to keep her spirits from dropping she awaited Jerome's reply.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
The techie was shocked, and pointed at Autumn, seeking (curiously perhaps) backup in Jerome.
"She threatened me. I do not like to be threatened. I am a vital member of this crew. The stowaway is a spy. Threaten her."
The band left for the bridge, leaving the ruffled technician behind.
"Don't come crying for help when she dooms you all" he muttered, then went off with his toolbox, probably to take his mind off things through work.

Yulo eyed the stowaway with one eyebrow raised and the brow furrowed. There might have been the barest hint of a smirk, though.
"She doesn't look like she can pull her weight, but I'm no monster to space her. On the next station, she can go her way; she can be her own trouble, but not mine. Until then, make her assist with whatever she can - the Prize sure could use to shine! But she ain't carrying no gun while on my boat. Lock it up in the armory, in the case of Charlie-Foxtrot, she can have it. Now shoo! We're soon to go hyper!"

The sight of the ship's gravitic sheath unfolding into Warszavska sails is a peculiar one: the sheath covers a ship top and bottom, bending space with its immense curved gravitational force and forcing the very light of stars into two condensed bands on the ship's sides. Above and below is only utter darkness. The stars seem to flood the skies, their light freed from the drive's crushing force, frolicking and returning to their rightful places. Then, the sails unfurl to their full extent, and scatter starlight by their tender influence, transforming galaxies and nebulae beyond into an impressionistic painting.
The Prize approached the warp limit of the star, their target - Menetekel system - just beyond a gulf of space. The computer spewed data at Quan, vital calculations for their fluid immersion into hyperspace.
Go too fast, and you will impact like against a concrete wall.
Space travel was not too different from diving in some regards.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
Autumn let out a short barking laugh at the accusation thrown by Jarvis, giving him a predatory smile. "It was no threat I assure you," She bit back the rest of her sentence, following behind the rest in silence, casting a final backwards glance at Jarvis.

Things were so much better when I worked for Jacques as his second, at least everyone in his crew had a sense of camaraderie. No matter, such pack bonds come with time, and time is one thing we have in abundance.

Standing behind Minerva Autumn smiled at Yulo's decision, grateful for a second pair of paws to aid her with ship maintenance. "One last inquiry before I leave you to your tasks captain, where is the new arrival to bunk? With one of us? Or do we have extra quarters?" Better to get such niggling details out of the way now, and her belongings secured before introducing the new comer to maintenance duties.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:56:20 PM by Autumn »

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
"Keep an eye on her" Yulo gave them a thumbs up. "You decide whether Jerome, you Autumn or Sunny will be your stray cat's keeper. Then tell me, to know whose ass to kick if she messes up."

Meanwhile, Jerome meticulously sorted the 'spy bag'. Tooth brush. Book reader palmtop thingie. Panties... Terrorist panties he almost could hear Jarvis say.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »
After checking it over, he passed the sachel back to Minerva.
'You stick with Autumn - i need to check this ship before boo boo finds anther 'bomb'.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »
Happily taking the bag from Jerome, she quickly checked it's contents. Making sure it was all there. It was.

"I guess I'm to be bunking with you then Miss."

She would after all be helping her with the engines and stuff, so it made sense that they'd share quarters. Plus they where both female.

No loud, rude, male comments to put up with when I'm bedding down for the night..

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
"Call me Autumn," She gave Minerva a friendly smile, eager to put the most recent events behind them, "Right this way, the room's are a touch on the small side, but comfy none the less, once we get your things stowed I'll show you around engineering."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:02:36 PM by Autumn »

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
Hollen's Prize calmed down, the commotion settled.

"Kids, get ready for the jump, we'll be ascending in ten minutes!" Yulo patted his belly as he sat in the cockpit, obviously tense.
"We'll be hyper for five days, four if Quan can take her up to Delta layer."
He patted the arm rest of the captain's chair, then - was it a caress?
"I'll patch through the most recent news, so enjoy - we'll not go anywhere remotely civilized in the next month."

The screen in the common room flashed to life, bright with the most recent courier's broadcast.

The disctinctive hammerhead shapes of League dreadnoughts floated across the screen, searing the black satin of space in coherent light. The speakers boomed with electrical sizzling noises and explosions. A small sign appeared in the lower right corner - 'Sound added for dramatic effect'. The Solar League Navy has forced a withdrawal of the Elerian invaders at Arcturus, reinstating the integrity of Solan borders. Travellers are advised to be on the lookout for scattered Elerian ships, and report them to the nearest navy outpost without delay. Do not engage - the enemy is armed, and of considerable psionic capacity."

Helia sat there, focused on the screen, sipping a glass of aquavit.

The screen switched to a pyre with heaped bodies, and a reporter in a hazmat suit. Droids were hauling more corspes towards the flame, hideously malformed and bloated with tumorous growth. "Another outbreak of teratomatic plague has struck Ursa II, with estimated thirty thousand casualties, and an unknown number of asymptomatic carriers. The Ursa system has been classified a red threat zone. Travellers are advised to seek alternate destinations."

Gaudy music sought to alleviate the sombriety of the previous reports, and a likely gaudy reporter with spliced bird-of-paradise feathers instead of hair reported that the xenotransdiva 'Adore' was staging a release concert for her latest album, no farther than Tau Ceti.

An exhaustive list of hunted criminals and missing persons followed - the former section showed predominantly hundreds of Veradani war criminals, women with the disctinctive head tentacles and fractal patterns under their eyes, while the latter displayed various strays.

"Look Minerva, you're there" Sunny smirked bitterly. "I see you're still ...desired. But a measly fifteen thousand Nuyen?"

Fifteen thousand was not measly. And it was three thousand higher than the last time Minerva saw the missing persons report.

The Prize ascended to the Alpha layer of hyperspace with a kick, spinning and losing all her thrust.
"Don't break her!" Yulo yelled.
Quan was confused, briefly - until he realized that Hollen's Prize did not automatically synchronize with gravitic waves in hyperspace. Good to know - it might give her a much needed boost someday, or rip her sails of if he wasnt more cautious.
He'd know next time.

"Speed her up and go to Beta, I'll be back in five."

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
15'000, the reward got higher with each week that passed..

"I see it Sunny, I see it."

Why the bitter smirk Medicus?

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »
Hollen's Prize ascended ever wilder layers of hyperspace, where reality itself was packed closer together, and each step ould take you further.
Then, they dropped out, ever decelerating, until existence as we know it welcomed them back.

Or, given the nature of the Menetekel system, did not welcome. Illuminated by a distant red dwarf, the system was filled with debris - stellar refuse in the form of asteroids, lifeless frozen planets and crater-scarred moons; between them, gutted husks of ships floated, torn by lasers and nuclear fire.
Mankind had fought one of its battles here, long ago. Nowadays, only occasional lost souls came here - scavengers for scrap and miners to tear ore from dead moons.

Static flickered on all channels, a strange undulating moan interspersed by bubbling and keening. Nervous, Yulo flicked off the comm; the sole reminder of the signal remained a pulsing blur of the sensor displays.

A blip appeared on the display, in orbit around the fourth planet. "The Lilarcor is there, must be her; take us closer..."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:27:35 AM by EchoMirage »

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
Turning from the video screen Autumn swayed to the ships movement as normal space regained control, giving Minvera a friendly nod. "Time to earn our keep." With a quick pad she headed towards the engine room, pausing long enough to show her new roommate where to store her belongings.

"Unfortunately the quarters on the prize only have a single bed in each room, we'll have to work something out when our sleep cycle begins." She mentioned casually, the immediate needs of the ship occupying her current thoughts.

Extra power to maneuverability, or a boost to sensors? I'm sure our new pilot will give a shout if he needs a improvement to performance somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:07:12 PM by Autumn »

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »

Prior to the arrival, Jerome made his way to his quarters and sat down on the bed.  He unzipped his pantlegs and detached his lower legs.  He then snapped on his 'duty' legs into the sockets fused into the ends of his femurs.

Almost hooflike in appearance, they were still lighter and more agile then his cumbersome 'aesthetic' limbs.  He also took time to suit up into his pilots armor, which  would also serve to conceal his legs.

Ready for action. He had heard of this system before.

Later on, he strapped himself into the main gunners seat, familiarizing himself with its controls and adjusting a few to his preferred settings. He even went so far as to close his helmet and plugged into the ships oxygen, selecting a somewhat higher level then most people would find comfortable - or safe.

"Jerome here, Gunnery on standby."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®