llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Fast Exit  (Read 83774 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
Re: A Fast Exit
« Reply #375 on: July 29, 2014, 08:23:22 PM »
Autumn nodded, still attempting to wrap her mind around the concept that the changed Irina was still the same woman she knew and trusted the quip of flying off without her lodging itself in her mind as a faint seed of an idea, should she give them cause to doubt her self control and civilized manners before then anyway.

"A question captain, your former crew set down here to retrieve these Kotiri, I assume the retrieval was on behalf of a third party? Might it be prudent to pay that party a visit and inform them their cargo will not be forthcoming? perhaps  persuade them not to send a follow up retrieval team to this corner of the galactic fringe? It would save your Kotiri brethren from being kidnapped for a second time."
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:47:33 AM by Autumn »

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2014, 10:17:48 AM »
A sensible question. Also, a difficult one. after all, we captured and held them in stasis and we weren't exactly gentle about it.. A jolt of fear pulsed through her and human sensibility warred with reptilian instinct.

"I think we should keep this to ourselves for now. I will search for the previous Captain's personal log, as that will be the place to find out the specifics. Once found, and we know what the original terms were, we may find a way to re-negotiate or explain away this unfortunate mess."

I'll wipe the co-ordinates from our computer, hopefully they are the only set and we won't have to re-home the Kotiri she thought to herself while a gloomy expression settled across her features at the thought.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:36:41 AM by Kassy »

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
"Some shady employers don't tolerate failure well, I'd rather not be made an example out of." She replied cautiously, "Informing the former captains employer that he died along with whatever contract he held and the system he went to carried a rather nasty mutagenic plague should keep them off our backs without too much headache?" She suggested looking over at Quan, Sunny, and Jerome for their input.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:24 AM »
Sunny grinned: "We might even find some nice mutagenic plague for him, purely for the purpose of verisimilitude - and if the word (or plague) spreads, the system may be declared a red threat zone, good for the Kotiri, and excellent for us if we want to establish a hidden base of operations."
Quan added: "The fact that most of the crew ended up as deaders would certainly support this theory - though we might want to temper the entirely reasonable but insane proposal of using an actual plague."
"Why?"
"It might spread?"
"It's not much of a plague if it doesn't."
"People might die, you know."
"Yes, that would add to the credibility of the threat."
"They might die."
"Death or permanent crippling disability of a neurological nature are the only consequences of disease that can't be removed by medical science. But I know what you are aiming at. I would just highlight here that given the spread of humanity and the fact that Kotiri population is limited to a single planet, from an universal point of view, each of them is incomparably more precious than a human?"
"You're way more sexy when you don't talk, lady."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: August 06, 2014, 04:38:42 AM »
Irina grinned at the Medic's twisted humor. Although an entertainable option, the risks it carried were much too large. Besides, I still have contacts there that owe me. Can't afford to give up on information.

"Okay, okay," she injected with after controlling her laughter, "Every member of the original crew has perished with the exception of myself and by extension possibly the former Captain. When we inform the other party of this we'll include him among the dead. We don't have his body, but the rumor of plague, or other contagion might justify cremating or spacing it."

Turning to Quan she asked, "Pilot, how far until we can take the shuttle down? My people are anxious to get home to their jungle!" A flutter of endorphins went through her system at the thought of a few days spent back there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:42:35 AM by EchoMirage »

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: August 06, 2014, 06:29:59 AM »
"How long do you plan for us to remain on the surface anyway captain?" She paused in thought, her mind still reeling from the casualness with which Sunny discussed unleashing plagues and the death of innocents, still uncertain if she was joking or revealing a darker, less savory part of herself.

She blinked in self realization after she noticed the silence had drawn on for several seconds and her paw was firmly grasping her hand cannons grip. Old habits died hard, and trusting people because you felt you knew them was a mistake few ever had the opportunity to make twice. She cleared her throat self consciously and leaned against the door frame, forcing herself to look casual. "Also, um, which shuttle are you referring to? We sent the ships only shuttle on a suicide run in that battle, so the only way we're making planet fall is to take the Lira down itself, assuming we have the fuel to do so and lift off once more."

She crossed her arms and looked thoughtful for a moment, struggling to focus on the present problem and push her concerns about Sunny from her mind for now. "Failing that we could send them down in escape pods, it would let them make planetfall safely.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:44:27 AM by Autumn »

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: August 06, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »

"Sorry about the shuttle." Jerome said.

"Lets try and find out who your former employer was. I suspect yours and ours might in fact be one and the same, which means they know everything up to Yulo's head going boom. Then we can figure out the best way to cover our backs. For all we know its 100% Fed Black ops going through several layers to hide it.   As for a real plague, that's off the table."   Nothing would convince Jerome of that. 

"I would suggest that we gather every last bit of information about the past mission, especially anything incriminating of your employer into a dataset. We might be able to use this as a blackmail bomb."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor NPC Guild Golden Creator Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: August 06, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
"Well, they do not necessarily have to know what exactly came to pass, unless they had a stealthy courier boat near the edge of the system. It's likely that our rotund employer was on their payroll - or blackmailed by that cortex bomb, on that I agree. But unless the Feds invented a faster-than-light radio, they're in the dark. We let none escape; I feel like a proper space pirate already."
Sunny laid back in the chair, legs crossed, and threw a smile across to Autumn, then the Capt'n.
Then, back to Jerome, she added: "They'll be in the dark, but spooked and dangerous. Still, it's the best time to get them - whatever they wanted with the Kotiri, for some reason, it was done undercover. Possibly due to the law, more likely due to corporate competition, and there's always the off chance of the Wardens catching wind of you breaking their precious Interdict, exploiting an uncontacted species. They might make an example of you."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2014, 06:42:08 AM »
I like the idea of a blackmail bomb, could keep them off our backs without as much fuss, but like it or not we need to put into port sooner or later for some replacement parts, I have the beast up and running, but I can only repair and rework so much, I need fresh parts to undo the damage that's been done around here, and a contingent of cleaning droids wouldn't hurt either." She suggested with a nod, "These Kotiri made quite the mess, they're not really house broken and cleaning duty is beneath all of us I think."

The sooner these things are off the ship the better I'll feel, especially that new one, it seems different than the rest, the kind of different that usually ends in bloodshed.

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #384 on: August 08, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »
"Ah, yes, I don't know why I overlooked that of course our only shuttle is brown bread," Irina acknowledged slowly with her head bowed slightly, "we'll take the Lila down, I'm sure you'll do fine Mr Quan."

Looking up at her new First Mate (still to be confirmed contractually) she told her, "I'm not sure, I don't want to spend any longer here than is absolutely necessary, especially with the fiasco we've had happen."

Smoothing her hair and standing straighter she addressed Jerome, "You're right, that is at the top of my list of priorities." Along with a host of other issues she thought to herself glumly..

"Once we've settled the Kotiri and figured out our next move, we need to drop into one of the lesser known dry docks to give the ship an overhaul. Name. Transponder. The works. Think you can head that up Autumn?" she asked her First Mate (still unconfirmed).

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: August 10, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »
Autumn nodded, "Of course captain, although on a ship this size, taking on an assistant mechanic couldn't hurt, I'm capable, but can only be in so many places at once and working solo will make it take a lot longer." She suggested gently, deeply regretting the loss of her former stowaway turned helper. "I know a couple people that may be willing to sign on, if you're okay with additional crew?"

She looked over at Jerome, "This ship used to have a bunch of cleaning and maintenance drones, do you think there's any chance of getting them up and running? It'll be cheaper than buying replacements."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Locations Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #386 on: August 11, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »
"I've already salvaged a few bots.  Most were pretty bad off. I'll see if I can find the others and see if any of the bots I salvaged are big enough to be useful."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
"We will be discreetly searching for new, trustworthy crew members. I'll put out a few feelers. I ask that you both do the same, it couldn't hurt to have a few more good spacers with us." It made sense, there was only so much they could accomplish with a skeleton crew, and should they encounter resistance they would be better equipped to counter it.

At Autumn's mention of cleaning drones Irina asked Artemisia for a sit rep on the situation of the status of all drones on board.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #388 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
Artemisia replied somewhat indignantly: "The last captain at least ignored my drones. They are my arms and eyes in the meatworld, and Jerome's taking them apart! Re-purposing them, enslaving them for his own nefarious ends, so that they no longer listen to their mother! They are dead, all are dead!"

Quan chimed in: "Guys, check the running processes, the AI has been going over someone's stash of holovision novellas. Aaaand... reset."
With gusto, he slammed enter.

Artemisia flickered, the continued: "Drones in bays 1-6 and 9-10 non-functional. Bay 7 open, please replace drones. Bay 8, drone status: 1/5 operational.

"Hooray, we have a drone. Better than nothing, right?"

"In other news, we're in orbit - and she's a beauty. I'd love to spend a holiday or two there, if not for these nibbly critters. No offense, captain. Though, I'd not mind if you nibbled just a bit."

Below them, Kotir displayed its cloud-wrapped glory, its green and blue shining through between the swirls. Slightly larger than Terra, it also seemed to feature intricate coastlines and seas broken by island chains. A very varied landscape, perfect for biodiversity indeed.
"Launching a probe... now. Let's see what kind of gas she has."
"Yup, you'll live."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »
Jerome chuckled, the first levity he had shown in a while.

"Artemisa - if you can provide the necessary specifications, I can see what I can do to bring some back up to operational status."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #390 on: August 12, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Autumn gave an amused smile, her tongue lolling out as she struggled to restrain her composure, giving Quan a nod. "If the ship can make reentry and has the fuel to take off again we should be able to set down somewhere on the surface, I'll head down to the engine room and give you some additional power for maneuvering, give a yell if anything goes wrong." With a nod she turned and padded off to the reactor control station, routing power from weapons and hyper space generators to the atmospheric thrusters.

Offline EchoMirage

• Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
Quan grinned, gave Artemisia somehing else to watch, and almost absentmindedly, the AI forwarded Jerome the specifications.
A short while later, the holographic feline appeared clad in executive clothing, with wide-rimmed spectacles atop her nose.
"Sir, I have identified the former captain's files, and started the decoding process. With him deceased, their contents may be of vital importance to you, and of little use to him. I know you were friends, I am sorry for your loss."

Quan winked at them - or maybe had a severe tic in one eye, coupled with spasms around his mouth.
"Bringing her down, captain. How does a nice firm plain close to the sea and jungle sound? Good? Though so. Buckle up, switching from gravitic to impulse drive, and going in."

The Lila shuddered as she met the atmosphere, and slowly, the black of space gave way to blue.

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
Autumn swayed slightly in the engine compartment, her tail flicking with the micro disturbances in the inertial dampeners as they struggled to counter the G forces of atmospheric reentry, eying a near by Kotiri with uncertainty, privately wondering how well their new captains hold on them would remain once they were on their native world and subject dh to whatever influences the native Alpha Kotiri may choose to exert over them or their captain once they were planet side.

On that thought she thumbed the intercom, "Jerome? You are needed in engineering at your earliest possible convenience."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
"Roger.  En route."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: August 19, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
Upon his arrival Autumn gave him a quick nod, sealing the door behind him and glancing about to ensure no Kotiri were present.

"It occurs to me these... Creatures may have been led by some Queen, or Alpha of some sort before this crew abducted a large portion of them. Upon seeing the ship that assaulted them returning, and more outsiders whatever leader of them is left on the planet may well choose an aggressive stance and order our occupants to remove us, as well as perhaps mentally dominate our current captain."

She paused and gave him a serious look, her ears flattening back in displeasure. "As much as I dislike the possibility, I feel we should be ready for things to go sideways in a hurry, and have everyone suitably armed for the occasion, and keep our stay as brief as possible, just to be safe."

"I can rig up some atmospheric purging from here, make the bridge a safe zone, automate some of the weapon systems perhaps, whatever you feel is prudent to prevent our unexpected demise at the hands of Kotiri."

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: September 02, 2014, 07:52:02 AM »
"Absolutely. We don't have too many automated defences, so staying armed is a good idea. Can we get a fully automated emergency takeoff scripting in? How fast can we get out of here if we need to?  I'd rather not go to war on the ground."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2014, 09:31:32 PM »
I can rig up the auto pilot to do an automated take off easily enough, as long as we keep Quan on the bridge he should be able to handle it as well." She paused considering his question of speed for a moment.

"Depending on how hard you want me to push the engines I can speed our take off quite quickly, but as long as Quan keeps the engines on stand by it shouldn't be more then a momentary delay." She gave him an approving nod. "Assuming we restrict non Kotiri personnel to the bridge and engine room and let our captain off load them, we may be able to avoid  a conflict with us being out of sight?"

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #397 on: September 23, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »
"Okay, lets get that emergency procedure bolted down.  As for how hard to push it, well, I'll leave that to you. I've knocked things about rather hard a few times and you would have a better feel for how this ship could handle it."

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Autumn

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Guardian
  • Tech op
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:18 PM »
Autumn gave him a nod and quickly set about her assigned task, accounting over the intercom for all non Kotori personnel or the Captain to please head for the bridge for immediate landing and for the captain to gather the Kotiri in the cargo bay for disembarking upon touch down.

After ensuring her crew was secured she discreetly enabled the emergency lock down, pressurizing the hallways leading to both the bridge and engineering, counting on Jerome to have his drones and a other automated equipment ready for action. "Not to give you orders dear captain, but please let us make our stay planet side as brief as possible, the engines are not liking the atmospheres density and I'd prefer not to be stranded here."

It was a bit of a lie she knew, but the sooner they were back in space and their captain free from whatever influence the Kotiri were exerting on her, the easier they'd all be breathing.

Offline valadaar

• Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: October 01, 2014, 01:49:09 PM »
As soon as they parted, Jerome took out his pda and checked the status of his works.  Many were now dual-purposed, armed as best as he could and also tied into Artemisa's network. He had done his best to make sure his commands took priority though, defense being higher priority then maintenance..

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         Authentic Strolenite™©®